Moderate to Low Fat, Low Carb plus Ex Ketones

I have been doing keto for a while, and would like to help my overweight father start losing weight. He has had stents put in for arterial blockages, and is on HTN medicine. Losing weight will hopefully help him decrease his medication requirements, but I don’t believe it’s smart to start someone with a heart history such as his to eat high fat. What if he were to start a lower fat diet and low carb, 0.8g protein per, and took exogenous ketones. What would this do?

(bulkbiker) #2

He’d be very hungry and probably wouldn’t last long…on the eating change I mean.
The fat in our diet provides satiety and dietary fat does not cause heart disease so…no need for him to be low fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

A well-formulated ketogenic diet can help heal cardiovascular disease. The minimal carbohydrate intake keeps glycation of the hemoglobin at a minimum, rendering the blood less likely to clot. The resulting lower insulin level reduces sytemic inflammation; it also lowers blood pressure, because the insulin is no longer interfering with the nitric oxide that relaxes aterial walls.

When lowering carbohydrate intake, we create a caloric deficit that needs to be made up from one of the other macronutrients. Too much protein can cause its own problems, but fat, which stimulates insulin secretion very minimally, is by that token a safe source of calories. The healthiest fats are actually the ones we have been schooled to avoid for the past forty years: saturated and monounsaturated. Monounsaturated fat is a good source of energy. Saturated fat raises HDL-C, the so-called “good” cholesterol, and helps keep the triglyceride/HDL ratio at a good level (assuming one believes the cholesterol-heart disease hypothesis in the first place). Polyunsaturated fats, except for the minimal quantities of ω-3’s and ω-6’s the body requires, are not only unnecessary, but can interfere with the proper formation of cell membranes, leading to all kinds of troubles.

(Carl Keller) #4

I encourage you to do some research. You might also learn that we’ve been lied to for the past 50 years about saturated fat and heart disease. There are no unbiased studies that prove saturated fat, by itself, is bad for us. The studies that suggest otherwise are funded by powerful organizations who find greater profit in lies than in truth.