Migraine battle won!

Hi all, just wanted to share the news about winning the 10 year battle against migraines. Started keto 5 months ago and finally noticing immense improvements: from 4-5 day long debilitating regular head aches hard to shift even with the prescription drugs to 1 an hour long in the past 2 months gone with paracetamol.
What?? I still can’t believe it, was even scared to verbalize it for the fear of jinxing my luck.
I was losing hope expecting immediate results but I got there at last! Thanks to Prof Stanton and your invaluable support , and myself, of course, for persevering :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Cranford Coulter) #2

That is great! It is encouraging to hear of your success.
I just started Keto in February after my 45th TIA. I have also had 6 strokes, all migrainous. This last flare up of the migraines were constant with uneven, radically different, rapidly changing blood pressures left to right. Now my blood pressure has come down, stabilized and evened side to side. I am almost off of Losartan. I am starting to reduce Topamirate again.

(Robert C) #3

This is the kind of positive post that helps everyone’s Friday morning - CONGRATULATIONS!

(Carl Keller) #4

Congrats @ketobulous. I get a migraine once in a blue moon. I can’t imagine the suffering in having to deal with them on a regular basis.

Wow I can’t even begin to imagine what kind of pain you’ve been going through! I wish you all the luck in the world in your battle, keep strong and grab all the support you need :hugs:

(Cranford Coulter) #6

Thanks!

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #7

I have been afraid to mention it as well, but after suffering from migraines since I was 11 years old (I’m now going on 60), I haven’t even really had a headache in the 1 month I’ve been doing Keto (except for waking in the night with one after a high carb meal the day before). Now I’m thinking that the headaches and migraines were a food allergy, of which I have many.

Congratulations on your NSV! KCKO

(Alex ) #8

This is good to hear @ketobulous, I also suffer with migraines, usually brought on with stress / caffeine / using electronic devices, and am taking amitriptyline on an adhoc basis (worst feeling on it ever, groggy, moody, nauseous) and am used to using chronic levels of paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Great to hear that a ketosis based diet has helped you out!

Thanks ! I really hope it lasts too. It sounds like you know your triggers! It’s sooooo hard giving up little comforts though

That’s so good that it worked for you too! I’m so pleased ketogenic WOE is helping people an lucky I’ve discovered thanks for your message JaneyMae

(Jane) #11

Wonderful news!!! So happy for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #12

Were u on amitrptyline…am afraid to take this as it will cause weight gain and im on keto pas 3weeks did lost som weight bt my anxiety is pretty much intense…day 1 on amtriptyline

(Omar) #13

Interresting statement

(Omar) #14

My headaches went down significantly after keto but I still get them.

From say 100 preketo to 20 points post keto.

Hiya, no I tried triptans, propranolol and topiramate, that’s just in recent years. If you feel like look into Angela Stanford research and articles. She explains what migraines are and what they are not. Good luck with everything :yellow_heart:

That’s significant, I’m thinking it’s too early to assume they have gone forever, but I’m happy with the result so far

That’s great!! And science appears to be on your side, as well. This study happened to come out the other day:

Potential Protective Mechanisms of Ketone Bodies in Migraine Prevention.

Several case studies have demonstrated the potentially migraine protective effects of ketosis [22,33,34,35,36,37]. A one-month observational study of KD in 96 migraine patients as part of a weight loss program found a reduction of up to 80% in migraine frequency, severity and acute medication use [37]. The same intervention in 18 episodic migraineurs induced a 62.5% reduction in migraine days, which was accompanied by a normalization of the interictal habituation deficit of visual evoked responses [36]. The reduction in migraine attack frequency, severity and the use of acute anti-migraine medication during ketosis had effect sizes ranging from a total absence of attacks [33] to a reduction to 1/5th of the run-in period [37]. In addition, preliminary evidence suggests that the protective effect may outlast the duration of ketosis [33], as is often the case in pediatric epilepsy patients, and could be the result of longer-lasting gene-expression changes [12,38].

Hey reverendbeer, thank you that’s such an informative post. It took me 3 month to get there, but what a relief :grin:

(Cranford Coulter) #19

That is FAR better than Botox. If you notice the footnote in the Botox commercial, it says that it reduces the incidence of migraine 13% better than placebo. OMG! In that case, just give me the placebo and skip the side effects and expense of Botox.
Big Pharma won’t want this study confirmed.

(Kirk Wolak) #20

Alha,
I had to go full carnivore, but once I did… It got rid of the migraines.
I occassionally will try to have some macadamia nuts or pecans, and get one the next day!
A lot of vegetables as well…

My thought is that my large intestine is just a Migraine Machine. If I feed it, I get one within a couple of days. Peanut butter gives me a migraine 2 days after eating it!

Try keeping a food diary, and look back 2-4 days for the patterns. It’s not always same day!