Metformin etc

(Sue) #1

Hello all,
I am a newbie since November, but already am amazed at how good I feel. Have dropped 14 lbs and fasting blood glucose is slowing coming down. Was 120ish now 100-108. That may take some time to get below 100.

I am currently on Metformin. I would LOVE for the 2 Keto Dudes to do a show how the oral meds and its affects on blood glucose. I guess what I’m asking is it bad to be on Metformin? I want to eventually get off it but I just would like to know if taking it will have adverse affects on my demented metabolism in the future.

I am a avid reader and love information on anything health and have noticed some discussion in the medical field that Metformin is good for anti aging, decrease in some cancers. Haven’t seen the studies myself, but would love to hear what you all think. Don’t really trust Pharma, but would love some input.

Love your podcast and this forum. I have learned so much. Thank you for all that you do!

Sue

(jilliangordona) #2

Metformin as actually one of the better drugs! Metformin decreases the amount of glucose in the blood and increase glucose intake in muscles without increasing insulin.

I am on metformin and chose to go on it after no weight loss for a year on keto. I am hoping is I continue to fast I will be able to get off of it and see weight loss. I am with you in that I would prefer to not be taking it, but some (including @richard) need to be on metformin regardless

I’d recommend picking up The Obesity Code. Great insight.

(Heather Miller) #3

I am on metformin only now after lowering and then stopping my insulin and other meds last spring. In my research and reading I have found only good results from metformin except in those who have stomach and digestive issues with it. Since this is not a problem for me I choose to continue taking it. My a1c has gone from 11 down to 6. My dr says I may stop the metformin now but I am choosing yo wait. I think if I see a1c under 5 I will consider stopping it then just because it would be nice to write off ALL meds!

(Sue) #4

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I recently read why Metformin is okay to stay on, but promptly forgot the reason. I do remember being surprised that Dr. Phinney’s company, Virta Health, keeps its patients on Metformin even after taking them off all other drugs. They don’t explain why on the Web site, but when I read the reason, I remember thinking, “Oh, that makes sense!”

Keto may have improved a lot of things, but my memory is apparently not one of them. (Not yet, at least.)

(Amber) #6

FYI for those who have stomach upset with metformin, my doctor says taking the name brand glucophage is less likely to cause the tummy trouble that some people get. Though most insurances won’t cover a name brand…