Medical advice to have easy carbs

science

(Susan) #21

I am glad that you found something that you could get down and didn’t make you feel sick and that you will be feeling well enough soon to eat again. Take care and rest well =).

(Polly) #22

Be kind to yourself Elle and don’t worry about keto until you feel well enough to. Hope you feel much better after some good sleep.

(Bunny) #23

I agree it is somewhat rare but possible here are some:

[1] “…In general diabetic ketoacidosis occurs because there is not enough insulin to move sugar (glucose) into the cell* where it can be used for energy. Besides lack of insulin, certain body stressors combined with diabetes, such as infection or illness, can trigger diabetic ketoacidosis. …” …More

*Subnote: “…It should be noted here that there are some tissues that do not require insulin for efficient uptake of glucose: important examples are brain and the liver. This is because these cells don’t use GLUT4 for importing glucose, but rather, another transporter that is not insulin-dependent. …” …More

[2] “…An infection or other illness can cause your body to produce higher levels of certain hormones, such as adrenaline or cortisol. Unfortunately, these hormones counter the effect of insulin — sometimes triggering an episode of diabetic ketoacidosis. Pneumonia and urinary tract infections are common culprits. …”…More

Adrenaline & Cortisol counter the effect of insulin? Hmmm?

[3] A Case of Diabetic Ketoacidosis Following Chikungunya Virus Infection

[4] Ketoacidosis: The Dark Side of Ketones

(bulkbiker) #24

You may have missed this bit

“With normal blood sugars” which would be pretty hard to acheive with insulin deficiencies… which all of your links have apart from Masterjohn with his 3 examples.
The Ken Berry comment below the video is telling.
But hey ok you managed to find 3 non T1 diabetics (although one may have had pancreatitis?) well done!

(Failed) #25

It’s the ingestion of carbs coupled with lack of insulin to utilize those carbs, resulting in a skyrocketed blood glucose level that causes ketoacidosis.

That’s why it is much more likely in type 1 diabetics.

(KCKO, KCFO) #26

I would agree with this, but just have a bowl or two and move on to broth with meat.

Hope you get well quickly.

(Bunny) #27

Ummmm! Not entirely depending on whether or not your already diabetic, protein is not going to be as bad as eating carbohydrates but you will still be producing glucose at a much slower rate than carbohydrates (different types of refined and processed sugars compared to sugars in there natural form). (would be nice if it were that simple?)

Do not forget about endogenous glucose (gluconeogenesis) from animal protein when forcing the body into ketosis from only eating meat and fat and extremely low carb? Eating a small portion of meat (protein) can cause the body to release glycogen which converts back to glucose and then there is glucose (gluconeogenesis) from eating only meat and fat and too little carbs that is why portion size of protein matters when in a constant state of ketosis?

Which can also cause the liver to become overtly-enlarged from storing too much glycogen from eating too much protein? Same thing goes for a high free sugar or fructose (from fruit) diet which is less likely to be stored as fat depending on skeletal muscle to adipose ratios?

image link

image link

Footnotes:

[1] Gluconeogenesis is the metabolic process by which organisms produce sugars (namely glucose) for catabolic reactions from non-carbohydrate precursors. Glucose is the only energy source used by the brain (with the exception of ketone bodies during times of fasting), testes, erythrocytes, and kidney medulla. .…More

image link

[2] “…Fructose is metabolized almost completely in the liver in humans, and is directed toward replenishment of liver glycogen and triglyceride synthesis, while much of dietary glucose passes through the liver and goes to skeletal muscle, where it is metabolized to CO2, H2O and ATP, and to fat cells where it is metabolized…” …More

[3] Over-eating meat (protein) for your particular body type also throws off nitrogen balance?

image links

[4] “…Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a serious complication of type 1 diabetes and, much less commonly, of type 2 diabetes. DKA happens when your blood sugar is very high and acidic substances called ketones build up to dangerous levels in your body. …” …More

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #28

Do you have Lamian places there? Basically non-corporate Chinese fast food. Lamian is the Chinese equivalent of Pho. If so, you could order just a beef broth, or bone broth that they serve as a side. They are all individually owned here so recipes vary even though that mainly offer the same thing. I swear the one closest to my house puts sugar in everything, but most don’t, at least not with such a heavy hand.

Anyway, just a thought on where to get broth you don’t have to make yourself. But knorr works for now too.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

(Ellen) #29

I’ve not seen anything like that, will have a lookout though, still knackered but starting to feel a bit better.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

I hope you’re back on your feet real soon!

(Troy) #31

Not trying to turn ur stomach
Sorry😳
Some broth w pork rinds is so good! …whole or Crushed. In the broth or on the side
For me, it’s the classic-ish chicken noodle go to

Hope you feel better🌝