šŸ– == šŸ°

(Peter Salls) #41

You guys know way more about all this than I do, so hereā€™s my simple question: on my My fitness Pal my protein levels are 20% with the gram total being 60. Does this make sense? I donā€™t think I can determine what percentage of of my caloric intake comes from protein. My caloric intake is 1200. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

(Arlene) #42

You should have been a comedian. Love your humor

Yep, 60g sounds about right for a 1200 cal intake. However, just be aware that this may be a little low for you depending on your lean body mass. Apologies if Iā€™m telling you how to suck eggs here, not knowing how long youā€™ve been following a Keto diet.

If you tap on the black Nutition button at the bottom of your food diary in MFP you will be presented with your daily calorie, nutrient and macros figures. Just tap on each of the headings at the top of the Nutrients screen to see the details. I have mine set on the Macros screen so I can easily see if Iā€™m hitting my targets at a quick glance.

(Peter Salls) #44

Iā€™ve been on keto for 3 months. I donā€™t work out at all so I think I shouldnā€™t eat more than say 12 ounces of protein in a given day.

Being Australian we use the metric system, so my conversion might be a little off, but I think 12oz equates to about 85-90g protein, which may be a little on the high side?

(Peter Salls) #46

Now thatā€™s what I was looking for! Thanks so much. I do appear to be in the general vicinity.

Hmmmā€¦reading all of these replies makes me think maybe my protein intake wasnā€™t super high when I did ZC for three months. I ate fatty ground beef. Not a balanced sensible diet, but perhaps not so high in protein. Of course, it was grain finished (local rancher)ā€¦

(Stickin' with mammoth) #48

Holy crap, an active keto community! And they know the science! (wipes away tear)

Too much protein is why Atkins didnā€™t work for me in the 90s. I was a serious weightlifter still worshiping at the altar of protein powders. Banting forever, baby.

Hi, everybody!

(Richard Morris) #49

When you are keto-adapted your brain will still need around 44g of glucose a day. If you are eating 20g of glucose a day you only have to make about 24g extra. Some you will make from fat (body or plate) - so if you burn say 160g of fat, that will make 16g of glycerol which will mean you have a shortfall of 8g that you will make from 16g of protein.

This is a picture from George Cahills starvation in man study showing the energy flows for a man with 45 lbs of body fat

Letā€™s say however that you are eating ZC and lets say for the sake of argument 0g of carbs. Then you will have a shortfall of 28g of glucose for your brain, and that will mean you will us up 56g of protein every day to make glucose for your brain.

So you will need to eat an ADDITIONAL 40g of protein if you are truly zero carb.

Oh, wow! That is so interesting. I definitely had nothing besides ground beef for 3 months.

It was shortly after I had some kind of stomach thing (food poisoning? Doctor wouldnā€™t do a test to find out). I was unable to eat for nearly 3 weeks (any food would exit from either end, but the worst part was the extreme abdominal pain. Hence I only ate about 600 calories per day. I believe it was related to eating at a buffetā€¦and I only ate shrimp and vegetables at that time.)

I ate 3,000 calories of ground beef per day and drank only water. Started at just over 114 lbs and ended up at 126 pounds (almost 5ā€™9" height). My normal weight back then was about 122 before I got sick. (muscular 122)

Oops. Sorry, I forgot TMI warning for above post!! :open_mouth:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #52

@farm girl
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: