Measuring the Fat Girl

(Dawn) #1

Ok, this is going to be embarrassing for me but I need help. I hear everyone say that on keto, measurements are much more important than the scale. My problem is that I am morbidly obese, so finding those cute little “markers” that everyone uses to get consistent measurements is just not easy on me. I tried to have a professional do it, but clearly she had never worked with anyone my size because she was all over the place.

My biggest issues are my stomach, breasts and hips.

Stomach -I have an umbilical hernia that I can’t get removed until I get about 60 pounds off. The hernia pushes right out at my belly button, so I am not sure how or where to measure to get a good stomach measurement. Should I measure above the hernia or below or just chalk it up as a fat girl loss and stop measuring stomach all together?

Breast - My boobies are not the perky bouncy little pals they used to be. In fact, I am a bit saggy and very fat in that area. I am not sure where to measure. Should I measure with a bra or without a bra? Honesty compels me to say that if I measure without a bra, it is hard to know where to wrap the tape. With a bra, I can measure right through the middle. I have a lot of back fat so the bra can sometimes cause the measurement to be inaccurate

Waist - I understand that I am supposed to wrap the tape measure around my butt and around my hips. The problem is that I have three butts. No, literally three of them. Which one do i measure, the top one, the middle one of the bottom one.

Summary: Can anyone share techniques on how to measure obese people? Is there a video on youtube? An article? The scale has stopped moving. I need some motivation, but right now my measurements are all over the place. I started keto at 256.6 on Sept 4th and I am at 232.3 today. Yet my measurements say I have gained 4 inches in my waist. That’s not right. I am so frustrated, please help.

(Ernest) #2

Get old, tight fitting clothes and try them on every now and then. See how the fit changes.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

Get a string (white if you have it) and measure around your wrist, elbow, bicep area and knees. Mark your string and measure the marks with a measuring tape and make sure to write them down with the date you took the measurements. I bet you see a difference in no time.

(Athena) #4

Measure around the biggest part of whatever area you are measuring every time you measure.

(Dawn) #5

ok, @rustyk61, I will try the string idea. that sounds much easier. Thanks @amargolis, I will just take the fatest part and measure there. As I lose weight, will that always be accurate?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

YES

(Dawn) #7

Got it! Dilly Dilly

I’m a big fan of measurements and off the top of my head I would say: just pick one spot or strategy for each of those areas (above the hernia for instance; and for your bust, I would do it nipple-height with a bra on; and - go for it, why not all three butts? you can cull the info later but for now you just want some data to which you’ll be able to refer back. Once you have one single gorgeous butt :wink:you can use the old data as it makes the most sense ). In some ways it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re consistent.
Also string idea is great.
Good luck and keep us posted!

(Dawn) #9

thanks @Madeleine! All THREE butts it is! Dilly Dilly

(Randy) #10

You’ll be down to two butts in no time!!! :wink:

(Brian) #11

I never had more than one butt… but I did once wonder if I had more chins than a Chinese phonebook! :smiley: (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

(Darlene Horsley) #12

The string idea is a great one!

(Jenn Monaghan) #13

Measure all the areas!

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #14

You can measure with a string and cut the string so you can compare later.
There is no right or wrong place to measure - just measure always the same place so you can do a consistent comparison.

See this example of the string thing: