Meal prep for the entire week

(Tracy Shipley) #1

Hello,

My husband and I just started Keto this week. It is Tuesday and so far not going well.

Sean works 2nd shift and needs to be able to grab his lunch and dinner shove them in his lunch box and go. I tried prepping every single meal on Sunday but did not get it all cooked. To be honest with you I have to do it this way as in the evenings I get busy and by the time I realize the time it is usually 8 to 830 so I need to obviously prep for myself as well.

What are your go to meals (even if it is the same thing every night)

We just came off of 4 weeks of the same food every single meal I cannot do another 4 weeks of that (Eggs for b-fast - chicken, sweet tater (4oz) and broccoli for lunch, hamburger (we do buffalo) for dinner, sweet tater(4oz) with broccoli and rice (for my husband) I cannot eat many carbs other then like blue berries or sweet taters . Sean lost 45 pounds (yes really) in those 4 weeks - first time in his entire 45 years on earth that he has eaten broccoli (yes really). Me??? I gained 10 pounds… enough said about that. Not sure even Keto is going to help me out but I am going to try.

Anyway, any thoughts on meals to prep on Sunday for the entire week?

(Carpe salata!) #2

Cut back more on carbs?

Mandolin-chopped celery+cucumber+bellpepper in apple cider vinegar and mayo. Add salt, pepper and herbs. It keeps for a week in the fridge and you can eat it like breakfast cereal :slight_smile:

I like to batch cook a lot of food and freeze them. I have an Instant pot and a vacuum sealer, which makes it easier but they aren’t necessary.

I like to make Green Chili ( it’s a little higher in the carbs)

Barbacoa Beef with cilantro lime riced cauliflower (cut the cilantro in half for this!) and add some avocado when you serve.

https://popularpaleo.com/cilantro-lime-cauliflower-rice/

Taco meet with cheese and sour cream ( add a little green dragon sauce from Trader Joes - yum!)

Beef pot roast with the drippings reduced over heat then add a little heavy whipping cream to make some gravy

And here’s my favorite egg casserole recipe for breakfast:

Breakfast casserole

2 lbs sausage
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 small onion
12 beaten eggs
1 cup shredded cheese

Layer in 9x13 bake 25 minutes at 350. ( if I remember right it takes longer than this to cook. Cook until eggs are set.

All of these recipes freeze well! That’s been my key to avoid eating the same thing every day.

(Jen) #4

I pack breakfast and lunch for my husband every work day.

On Sunday evening I pack five big Tupperware bowls with a couple cups of shredded romaine, a boiled egg (in shell) and whatever other cut up raw veggies we have on hand (usually mushrooms or broccoli or cucumbers) and a small Tupperware container of fatty dressing. Then in the morning he or I throw in whatever meat we had for dinner the night before and anything else he might want to add… Sometimes cheese or nuts or whatever. Then his lunch is good to go, and although it’s a salad every day, we change it up a little so it’s different.

I also make either a breakfast casserole (I love Keto Connect’s casserole with broccoli in it) or egg muffins and a big batch of bacon and divide them into Ziploc bags so he just grabs one of those along with his salad …and voila.

Once you get in the habit it’s really not a big deal at all and it saves SO much time every day, it’s totally worth it. Hope that helps a bit!

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Congrats to your hubby, he is doing very well.
Some good places to start looking for recipes are:

We have our RECIPES topic under Food forum.

Sweet potato isn’t the most keto friendly veggie. If you are having them twice a day, you are not eating keto. Keto is usually 20 grams of carb, one serving and you’ve blown it for the day. Sub cauliflower in dishes that have potatoes, corn or rice in them. And if you just don’t like any other veggies, go carnivore. Many people do if they just don’t like veggies. Personally, I eat more veggies now than when I was a vegetarian, I ate way too many grain products then.

For ideas on what to eat in general, I highly recommend Marty Kendall’s nutrient dense food lists, he did a podcast with the dudes, be sure to listen to that one.

Good luck on finding what works for you. It takes some of us longer to get into fat burning than others so don’t let your husband’s success get you down. Remember stress puts on weight so try to keep that to a minimum too.

(Tracy Shipley) #6

Thank you all for your messages. I just cannot do this. All the cheese I have had this week sits in a ball in the bottom of my stomach. I am not hungry at all so I end up not eating which is an issue for me as then I do not have the energy to make it through a tough workout. I am going to go back to Paleo and just still restrict carbs and not eat cheese LOL. It was worth a try though!!

(Carpe salata!) #7

Yes do what works for you. It sounds like you are a healthy eater. :slight_smile:

Do what works for you, but what is going back to Paleo going to change? No rule saying you have to eat ANY cheese, let alone tons of it. I’d ask yourself what are your goals in the end. If it’s only weight loss then do whatever works, but Keto destroys Paleo when it comes to health benefits, sure I’m biased but it’s true. I’m sure you’ve already looked into that. Even if you do go back to Paleo look into this, the biggest reason people drop out is exactly what your doing, get in deep quick and feel very restricted and in the diet eq of culture shock. Easy enough to do because while theirs a ton of info about eating this way in general, finding recipes can be tricky especially for meal prepping but theirs a ton of youtube videos of people doing exactly that. I’ve got some bodies that eat Paleo and they are WAY more restricted than we are, and their pretty lax, not the 5 years ago Paleo as a second religion Paleo. Good Luck either way.

What if you got a rotisserie chicken you could get 3 meals out of that. I do a chicken Caesar salad one night. Maybe do a lettuce wrap sammie or taco type thing another night/day. I buy grass fed hamburger patties, flat Iron Steak, salmon, lamb, hamburger meat. I do a lot of meat and salad combos. Just by double the meat cook it up freeze and portion. Chop up some romaine lettuce and buy some Arugula. Mix and match. To give yourself variety. Most of my meals only take 15-30 minutes to prepare. I bring lunch to work from my leftovers. Sundays I make something a little more gourmet and I always make extra. Hope this helps.

Here’s my combos although I change it up at times
1)Flat iron steak w Chimichurri Sauce on top arugula
2)Leftovers I chop up green bell pepper, jalapeños, onion and leftover steak top with cheese and place on romaine with a little Chimichurri as dressing

1)Salmon on top arugula with avocado, a couple cherry tomatoes, cucumber crumbled bacon and pesto mixed with mayo and lime for dressing
2))Leftover salmon tacos in lettuce wrap, I add a little Cajun seasoning then use that pesto mayo and cilantro

1. Rotisserie Chicken as a Caesar salad
  2. Leftovers either a lemon Creamy pasta a top zucchini ribbons fresh herbs

(Tracy Shipley) #10

I did not feel restricted. I do not eat wheat or refined sugar anyway. Every recipe I come across is laiden in cheese and The only real difference between Paleo and Keto is that cheese. I have just decided that I will never be fit I will always carry extra poundage as nothing I do seems to agree with my system.

(Ernest) #11

Wrong mindset is setting you up for failure.
Think positive. If cheese is not working, have some butter. Cheese is not the only fat source nor a keto requirement.
All you need is a some fat source and some fatty protein source. It’s that simple.

Have a huge chicken salad drenched in olive oil.
Scramble your eggs in a bunch of butter
Have some some dark meat chicken with some macadamia nuts.
Ground beef scooped in avocado.
See there, no mention of cheese.

Stay positive.

(Liz ) #12

I was Paleo for years and was getting bigger and bigger. It turned out I couldn’t tolerate the fruit, honey, and maple syrup. Also sweet potatoes. I have totally done Keto dairy free and it was the first time I stopped gaining and actually started losing. But I only lost 2 pounds the first month. It took a long time to turn this ship around. I’m not saying you’ll have the same experience as me, I’m just saying I’ve been low carb and grain free since 2003 and it had stopped helping because of carb creep. Keto was what started healing my body but it’s taking its sweet time LOL. If you do try sticking with it you might find more success down the road. I wish you well!

That’s not even remotely true. You can absolutely be healthly, loose weight and figure out what your body’s issues are IF you want to! Your litterally surrounded by people with suck metabolisms and body’s that give us the finger every chance they get, stick with it, ask for advise, learn from what’s on this forum and you too will figure out what it takes to fix yourself. You need to be more patient than your being. If a little resistance makes you give up there’s not a way of eating on the planet that can help. Hopefully you stick around.

Then do paleo but skip the fruit except for raspberries and blackberries (blueberries are much higher in sugar) and honey and syrup and any starch and any vegetable not grown above ground. Same diet as far as I can tell

I do agree that doing keto without dairy is harder but I personally do not want to give it up now.

We all have dietary limitations, and still do keto, some cannot eat dairy, some pork, eggs, vegetarians or nuts. We still manage. Lots of yummy things

I made this last night, it was amazing you can skip the cheese since it is garnish