MCT oil powder causing oily skin

mct

(Kristen Ann) #1

Been keto 11 months. I started using MCT oil powder this summer and have been taking it daily ever since. I don’t want to give it up because it brings me mental clarity and energy. It’s causing dandruff (from oily scalp) and acne around my hairline. I thought it would go away eventually but it hasn’t.

When I started using MCT oil powder I was drinking it with coffee and HWC. Since realizing my skin wasn’t improving on it’s own I thought maybe it was the dairy. So I swapped HWC for coconut cream and that didn’t help. Coconut cream doesn’t really agree with me so I tried cashew milk and that didn’t help. So it’s definitely the MCT oil powder. I’ve tried 3 different brands of MCT oil powder, and still having issues. I’m even using dandruff shampoo several times a week and washing my face more often. My dandruff improves a little with the shampoo but my hairline is full of pimples. Ridiculous.

Anyone experience this or have suggestions outside of giving up MCT oil powder??

And no I haven’t tried just MCT oil… oily coffee doesn’t seem too appealing to me.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Have you tried just having the powder in water? That may be a good way to test to see if its really the powder. I’ve done it with the chocolate flavored powder, and it wasn’t too bad. I didn’t particularly care for it with the salted caramel (in water).

Does the powder have any other ingredients in it that may be the issue (like a stabilizer or additive or even vitamins of any kind)? I only ask, because I recently saw a keto YouTube video where the lady said she had been drinking sugar free Ice drinks and was breaking out like crazy, she figured out it was Biotin in certain products she was using.

Gotta magic bullet them or something fast enough to mix it in, won’t be oily at all.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

I get the symptoms you are mentioning if I eat too much cheese over several days. Have you been Chaffling of adding more cheese or non butter dairy?

Bulletproof Coffee, I don’t have a blender now, I use a quart mason jar. I put the MCT and butter in the jar, fill it almost half with coffee and cap it tight. I put a dish towel over the top in case it leaks a little. That happens if you don’t snug it down good. Then I shake it really hard with both arms till it’s foamy , about 20 seconds. It stays mixed and doesn’t form an oil slick on top. Usually the powder has dextrose or acacia to suspend the oil. If you have a blender you can attach the regular mouth mason jar instead of the pitcher with the blades inside the jar and the pitcher base as a cap. This works on common style blenders but not special designs like Kitchenaid. Nutra-Bullet hack. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #6

Short Answer:

Your not eating enough fiber (leafy greens) with the MCT’s thus your creating an inflammatory response through out your entire body including your sebaceous glands.

The more MCT’s you ingest, the more dietary fiber you need in even ratios.

If you choose not to do this, the worse it will get!

You need more butyrate as mentioned in the post above that is why you want grass fed butter (or dietary fiber) in a bullet proof coffee?

Drinking bulletproof coffee without the grass fed butter is not a good thing!

That’s why they call it bullet proof!

(PJ) #7

Why is that? I mean, I have MCT oil-powder and have considered adding it to some flavored kefir each morning, just haven’t yet. But why is fiber needed? I don’t know enough about this to understand how MCT relates to that. For that matter… MCT oil-powder IS prebiotic fiber – most use acacia or something. It’s a prebiotic all on its own. Ah, now I’m even more confused.

(Bunny) #8

You either get butyrate from the dietary fiber that feeds the gut bacteria, if you kill off the butyrate producing bacteria (short chained fatty acids) by not eating any fiber then your only other option is to get it from grass fed butter; butyrate means butter? Butyrate levels are substantially increased in grass fed herbivores that we eat.

Supposedly those are the only two choices? (may get a little bit from just eating meat too; Amber O’Hearn has done a lot of research on that aspect also)

“…LCFA can induce pro-inflammatory T cells, and SCFA can induce anti-inflammatory, regulatory T cells.

Therefore, SCFA can mitigate the harmful effects of LCFA.

In other words, if you consume SCFA along with your coconut and MCT oil based LCFAs, you mitigate the damage. …” …More

(PJ) #9

Ah. Well then, MCT oil-powder is ideal since it’s got prebiotic fiber as part of it.

(Kristen Ann) #10

You guys are so helpful! I’ll try some of these different suggestions. Thanks everyone!