Maybe the magic bullet for me?

(Robin) #1

I got lots of good suggestions when whining about my nightly leg cramps. Have been experimenting. Only one thing worked consistently for me. Eating fat minutes before bed. (Salami and cream cheese last night). I was hesitant to try this one because before keto ANYTHING eaten immediately before bed would revisit me in an hour or so. Not now. And no leg cramps, not even little ones. YES!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

:pleading_face:
truck

(Bob M) #3

That’s the first time I’ve seen that remedy.

Speaking of which, I have a theory that magnesium might actually cause or exacerbate cramps. There you go, I said it.

I am thinking the idea that we need to up salt first, then other minerals, might be true.

(Robin) #4

I’ve heard that too. Seems so many things are a fine line… help you, hurt you. Gotta find the balance. I take magnesium, but backed off from my initial intake, added salt, which is a HOOT because I have always been a salt-oholic. I’ve gone overboard and underboard with water. Same with potassium. Feels like we are all tweaking grandma’s “recipe” of a pinch of this, a handful of that. Whatever works.

(Allie) #5

Be interesting if you got the same result with some food that isn’t so high in salt.

(Robin) #6

Smart question! I shall test that tonight. I did try just adding salt to water at night, and saw no change. But after a while, when you have tried many things, it is difficult to know which worked. I would have zero issues without the leg cramps. Perhaps they just slowly go away eventually. (Like husbands. LOL)

(Bob M) #7

Maybe the food helps you absorb the salt better? Or slower? (This is relative to adding salt to water.)

That’s a tough study, as you want something that’s high in fat without the salt. Which is…what? Fat? Maybe fatty steak?

(Robin) #8

Well, now y’all are making me doubt my own results! Maybe is WAS the salt! Lol!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

The salami would add sodium, the cream cheese not so much. Why not skip the cream cheese and eat a little more salami to see if it still works. Also, please tell us the name/brand of salami so we can examine the ingredients. Maybe we can determine something from that.

Salt usually helps me. Pinch of it and 15mins boom gone.

(Susan) #11

I find swallowing a small handful of Pink Himalyan salts (in rock form) helps with cramping too.

wondering how long on plan now for you? Adaption can be a B for many of us, just sayin’ here and we have to go thru it. Could it be the plan is actually healing your body and doing the changes it needs to do and it has caught up and making ya feel better?

there are a gazillion ton of ‘what ifs’ in this but hey if you feel great and wanna see if it works this way for you then go for it.

Maybe just eating a bit of this or that before bed is a reasonable help before bedtime and that is a key factor now for your body! for right now? and with time, healing and more thru adaption and changes we DO get on plan eating cleaner our bodies will change so much as it needs and cramps etc. leaving will be one of those for most, and of course any ‘real’ med issues we are facing coming into play here.

best of luck finding you in all this, we all work thru it and find our best ways. Happy you are feeling so happy right now :raised_hands:

(Robin) #13

So… last night, I did nothing, ate nothing before bed. Slept like a log. No cramps. I give up. Maybe my body’s taking care of the issue without my interference. I’ve been at this since June (approx 4 1/2 months) and have lost over 30 pounds, feel great, do 18/6/IF, keep carbs well below 20. Taking all the supplements, drinking enough water, exercising, etc. Happy camper. if the nightly cramps go away, I will be doing a jig!

(Bob M) #14

If you have pickles or olives in brine, you can drink those. I find them to be useful.