Maxed out my Keto Mojo meter

(Ben ) #1

I was on the 6th day of a 7 day fast when I took a reading on my Keto Mojo Meter. Glucose was 68, Ketones were HI and GKI .4 which was the max it would go. The instructions said that a HI reading meant above 8mmol/L. I got nervous and broke the fast. The previous days reading was glucose 72 and ketones 6.7 with a GKI of .5. Has anyone else experienced any thing like this? A few hours after I broke the fast my readings were glucose 115, ketones 2.1 and GKI 3.0.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Relax.

Why? Ketoacidosis? Because unless youā€™re a Type 1 diabetic and just begging for it youā€™d never get there. Iā€™m not a fan of long fasts these days for a handful of reasons, but high ketones isnā€™t one of them. You were fine man.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Diabetic ketoacidosis is diagnosed by high glucose combined with ketones over 10.0. Symptoms donā€™t become a problem until ketones reach 20.0. With glucose as low as 68 and ketones only at 8, you are fine. Ketones rise during fasting, this is called, as you might guess, ā€œthe ketosis of fasting.ā€

As long as your pancreas is producing insulin, diabetic ketoacidosis is not a risk.

There is a condition called euglycaemic ketoacidosis, which is caused by certain drugs (in particular, SGLT-2 inhibitors). If you were taking one of those drugs, your doctor would have warned you.

(Bob M) #5

If you felt OK, you were probably OK.

How long have you been doing this?

Just wondering, as thatā€™s a high ketone reading. My theory: after a certain number of years, you canā€™t get to that level. So, I assume youā€™ve been doing this for not that long.

(Ben ) #6

Started keto 4 years ago and have lost 15 lbs. I am 69. My weight is 145 to 150, 5ft 7, My A1C is 4.5. Had several Ketone readings in the 5 to 6 range after fasting for 3 days. Need to contact KetoMojo to find out why 8 and above is high.

(Bob M) #7

Those should go down over time. I have coined the term ā€œketone resistanceā€ to describe high ketones when you first start out. See what happens with a 3 day fast a year from now.

By the way, all of what you said (A1C, 3 day fasts, etc.) is impressive.

(Ben ) #8

Hi Readings

Readings above 8.0 mmol/L will show ā€œHI,ā€ meaning your ketone levels are above our ability to measure them.

Following are possible reasons you may get a HI reading:

1. You are in Therapeutic ketosis. A therapeutic ketogenic diet can be helpful for a range of chronic health conditions such as cancer, epilepsy, Alzheimerā€™s disease or dementia.
  2. Wash and dry your hands, then repeat the test using a new test strip. If your result still flashes HI, contact your health care professional as soon as possible. This was from KETOMOJO

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

In the vernacular this is called ā€˜cover your assā€™ from potential lawsuits.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Huh. Other meters seem to be able to measure higher levels than 8.0.