Maintaining but not losing

(Kiki) #1

Hi there,

As a breast cancer survivor, I have been doing the Keto diet now for about a year and a half and combine it with IF, only eating once every 24 hours 6-7 days a week and limiting food intake to a 1-2 hour window in the evening when ketone levels are large or extra large for most of the day. I generally limit my net carb intake to about 11 carbs and have not passed a piece of fruit or a speck of sugar, grain, or other type carb thru my lips in over a year.

I did get rid of my hypothyroidism,shrunk a tumor on my pituitary gland, lowered dangerous prolactin levels, fended off any return of cancer, and feel Pretty amazing, I have not lost any weight. Fasting usually helps keep the weight creep off, but not consistently. My ketone levels drop dramatically if I even so much as eat an egg or drink bone broth (any calories).

Any advice? I feel best when I am 113-115 lbs, but my weight is up to 118. I would love to be able to keep it consistently closer to 115. Any tips? Advice? Am I doing something wrong?

I have never given up bc the health benefits are more important than my butt size, but I get bitter sometimes when I think of how hard I work to stick to the diet. I haven’t wanted or craved anything other than organic, grass-fed, wild caught protein and veggies. I wonder if it is because I am so small and losing 3 lbs is harder for someone my size?

Help! I get frustrated.

(Bunny) #2

One thing you could try is only eating the yolk of the eggs not the white?

Forget the Egg Whites - Eat the EGG YOLKS!

Dr. Berg talks about the difference between egg yolks and egg white. Egg yolks have way more nutrition. This includes:
EGG WHITE…EGG YOLK
Protein…3.6g…2.7g
Calcium…2.3mg…21.9mg
Phosphorus…5mg…66.3mg
Potassium…53mg…18.5mg
Sodium…54mg…8.2mg
Zinc…0.1mg…0.4mg
Selenium…6.6mcg…9.5mcg
B1… .01mg…0.3mg
Folate…1.3mcg…24.8mcg
B12…0.03mcg… .331mcg
A…0IU…245IU
E…0IU… .684IU
D…0IU…18.3IU
K…0IU… .119IU
DHA…0mg… 94mg
Carotine…0mcg…21mcg

Eggs are also loaded with:
phospholipids, choline and biotin.
Egg yolks also contain vitamin K2, the vitamin that can help transport calcium through the body.

(Allie) #3

OMAD (one meal a day) isn’t generally advised for weight loss, more for maintenance. Could you maybe try switching to 2MAD?

(Ashley) #4

Wouldn’t OMAD be beneficial for weightloss though? Less insulin spikes?

Can you provide a reference for that? I’m interested in that possibility.

(Bunny) #6

Could be the the bone broth is regulating your blood sugars and ketones drop but only temporary?

The Problem With Too Much Meat Protein: IGF-1, mTOR, and Cancer:

When you consume protein from meat, your body responds by releasing a hormone called insulin and activating two pathways called IGF-1 and mTOR so that you can utilize the protein to promote the growth of your cells. In other words, insulin, IGF-1, and mTOR cater a party for your cells to celebrate the abundance, but as we age cancerous cells start to crash the party.

When we are children (and after we finish an intense workout) the amino acids from the meat protein we consume tend to aid the growth of cells necessary for our health (e.g., the cells in our bones, muscles, blood, and organs). However, when we are fully grown, rarely work out, and consume many servings of meat per day, cancer cells begin feeding and thriving off of the catering that IGF-1, mTOR, and insulin provide.

One particular amino acid called leucine is a potent stimulator of the secretion of insulin and the activation of the IGF-1 and mTOR pathways. Meat and dairy proteins tend to be highest in leucine, which is why products like whey protein and chocolate milk are heavily marketed as “muscle builders”. However, they can stimulate the growth and proliferation of cancer cells and disease as well.

Another amino acid that can cause problems when consumed in high amounts is methionine. This amino acid is abundant in dairy and meat proteins, and it leads to an increase in homocysteine levels in the blood. Homocysteine is a significant risk factor for serious diseases like heart disease, stroke, and mental illness.

The effects that consuming too much leucine and methionine have on an inactive body may explain why red meat consumption has been found to be associated with cancer and heart disease in some studies. However, this doesn’t mean that you should switch to a vegan ketogenic diet.

Meat can be made healthier by consuming other amino acids that mitigate the effects that too much leucine and methionine can have on the body. In fact, many amino acids help prevent disease, cancer, and intestinal issues.

Where are these amino acids found?

Bone Broth …More

(Pri) #7

I would love to know how you kicked off your hypothyroidism? I have it and taking 75mcg levotyroxine since diagnosed in 2011. I m on Leto since December had two kids in 2017-2018. Have lost 75 pounds. But I have cheated on carb and sugar 5-6 times. Please advice.

(Allie) #8

Dr Fung and Megan Ramos have mentioned it multiple times on various podcasts I’ve listened to. They say that ongoing OMAD enables the body to adapt and stop losing weight.

Just one example -

Best to keep changing things to keep the body guessing.

(Ashley) #9

Going to read about this! Maybe that’s why I’ve had a stall, body getting used to OMAD!

(Carl Keller) #10

Agree with this. Our bodies are likely to adapt if we keep doing the same thing over and over. To lose weight in a healthy manner, we must convince our body that famine is not a threat.

With all the things your body has been through lately and with all the stress that comes with that, I think you are doing amazing. Most would kill to be three pounds from their goal weight. I think as long as this is happening:

… you are doing just fine. Try to focus on how you feel instead of what the scale is telling you. Eat intuitively and keep making the right choices. Continuing how you feel should be your main priority. Those three extra pounds don’t define you or your success. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #11

How are you taking your ketone levels? I find them to be very inaccurate. Furthermore, my blood sugar (after 5.5 years on low carb/keto) is highest in the morning and lowest at night, and my ketones are the reverse of that (lowest in the morning and highest at night). In fact, I’ve gotten to the point where I’m technically no longer in ketosis in the morning (if “ketosis” is defined as 0.5 mmol/L of BHB), but am in ketosis later in the day. Unless you’re taking values at around the same time each day, you can be pretty sure they’re not that accurate.

I agree about mixing it up, though. Today, I’m eating three meals. Tomorrow, none.

They definitely don’t recommend TRE like OMAD, 16:8, etc. for weight loss and do say it’s mainly good for maintenance. I think what they suggest to lose instead of maintain is IF (minimum of 36 hours) on an alternate day schedule or up to three straight days.

(Bunny) #13

Balance? Iodine & DIM support (broccoli)?

This video is so interesting…

Carnivore Diet – Reversing Breast Cancer (SHOCKING PIC WARNING!) – Phil Escott – WHIS 2018.

3 “Healthy” Habits That Could Be Hurting Your Thyroid: Restricting salt, replacing iodized salt with natural unrefined salt , and consuming plant foods that generate isothiocyanate can all have their place in a healthy diet, but raise the risk of iodine deficiency . Here’s how to spot the problem and what to do about it.

See also:

[1] Do You Have Low Iodine? The Link Between Iodine Deficiency & Cancer

[2] The thyroid, iodine and breast cancer

[3] Changes in Dietary Iodine Explains Increasing Incidence of Breast Cancer with Distant Involvement in Young Women

[3] Is Iodine Deficiency a Bigger Problem Than We Think?

(Kiki) #14

I was tested after a 3 years of eating whole 30 and then a whole 30 version of Keto. I was on synthroid for years, but stopped all thyroid meds and it was gone after my change of diet. My doctor said hypothyroidism doesn’t go away. He could hardly believe it. Gotta think the diet may have changed that. I read up a lot on thyroid stuff. Makes sense