Magnesium supplement preference?

(Ohio ) #1

I’d like to know everyone’s magnesium supplement preferences. There’s lots of options. Pros & cons, etc. Are any laced with carbs? Wanting to know before I make a purchase. Thank you!!

(Robin) #2

I take a scoop of this in a glass is water and add some salt, just before bed every night.
In theory, it also aids sleep.
I take it to stop the night time foot cramps and to help regularity.

I have epsom salt, that’s simple and cheap. And a bit bitter but not so bad, my painkillers were worse :slight_smile: People say it works in baths too.
But I don’t need to supplement it much. I had some simple pills before, I read which mg-whatever it has (sorry I have some gaps in my English but I probably couldn’t say it well in Hungarian), it often has vitamin B6, that’s allegedly good… I never went further, I avoid supplements pretty much but I just can’t get enough magnesium from my food.
Any decent magnesium containing stuff works for my cramps and that’s all I care about. And the price. I am glad I can still afford enough food. And why to spend more when the cheap options work?

(Ohio ) #4

Never realized epsom salts were edible. I’m going to have to do some more homework! Thanks

(Laurie) #5

Different kinds of magnesium do different things. I can’t remember the details, but you can look it up. Each kind might have certain benefits or drawbacks (e.g., diarrhea), depending on your reason for taking magnesium.

I take magnesium bisglycinate, which is a good all-rounder (heart health and other benefits).

Because I hate taking pills, I bought the powder form. Unfortunately, it has a horrible fishy taste. So I gave in and bought the capsules.

download%20(4)

(B Creighton) #6

It depends what you want it for. I have been using ZMA for over a year, but it is really kind of expensive, and probably not the best. I think its expense is associated with the fitness industry. So, I started buying zinc and magnesium separately to save a little $. I started using a chelated form of magnesium bisglycinate. That is for a good absorption rate. If you want to use magnesium for constipation, magnesium oxide and/or magnesium citrate is preferable.

(Michael) #7

When I am long fasting, I use pure powder form of magnesium aspartate https://purebulk.com/products/magnesium-l-aspartate . Sometimes I also sit in salt baths to absorb magnesium if my diet was not enough over a day or two. However, normally I eat enough magnesium in snails and dark chocolate that I do not need to supplement.

Not all are, and one of the most horrible forms taste wise that there is. Half the Ice Melt you see is just Epsom Salt!

Generally the Mag blends are best. Couple different forms, so you’re getting a little of everything. Pretty well excepted that Magnesium Oxide is completely pointless as you don’t absorb it, Citrate is the second most useless since most of it just goes out the other end (which is why it’s a Laxative). A blend should cover your bases.

I use Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate ( from Magnesium Bisglycinate). Over 3 years of using…so far so good.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Magnesium Glycinate is my go to these days. I used to use mag. citrate, but had to drink a whole bottle to get enough. I seem to REALLY need magnesium, my husband does very small amounts and gets great results. I have to consume at least 1000mg to get any effects at all.