Magnesium side effects

(Erin Macfarland ) #1

TMI warning but here it goes…the last couple of days I’ve had some very loose BMs, even during the night, and I realized I had taken in too much CALM magnesium supplement. I feel kind of shaky and weak, depleted. I have taken in extra salt, and water, should I worry that whatever I ingested was not absorbed properly since things have been moving through my digestive tract too quickly? Like maybe the nutrients in my food were not absorbed and that’s why I’m feeling this way? If so, what do I do to remedy it? I have had gelatin and some electrolytes too but I noticed the electrolytes have some magnesium in them so I don’t want to over do them.

I use the Jigsaw brand slow release magnesium and have no ill effects. I also use magnesium oil sprayed on me when I’m feeling deficient.

(Sondra Rose) #3

Yes, Magnesium citrate is known for its laxative effect. Sorry you had to find out this way!

Magnesium glycinate and malate are less laxative, so might be options for you.

I get magnesium by soaking in hot tub with Epsom salts…:relieved: no issues with overdosing

(Jacquie) #5

@Emacfarland.Curious as to how much Natural Calm (I’m assuming that’s the product) you take? I take it, too, but haven’t had a problem. I also supplement with malate and glycinate.

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

I probably took twice the dose on the bottle, it just slipped my mind as to how much I’d already had. It tastes pretty good so easy to over do it! I’m wondering what besides salt will help me get even back in balance. It really sapped my energy!

Possibly, yes. Different foods get absorbed at different places and rates. It’s more likely the effects you are feeling are from some dehydration and electrolyte swings.

(Jacquie) #8

Sorry to hear that. I use the unflavoured. I take up to 2 tsp. split dose. It’s hard to take too much of the unflavoured. :wink: No side effects with malate or glycinate (usually the more expensive of the two).

(Mark Myers) #9

@Emacfarland When I started using Natural Calm, I misread the instructions even though it warned me to start with a lesser amount. It almost cleaned my clock. Well, it just wasn’t very fun to say the least. Need to start off with a lesser dose and build up to the recommended dosage.

(Mark Myers) #10

@Emacfarland My go to if I’m low on energy is bone broth. Sort of brings all my levels back up.

(Erin Macfarland ) #11

I’ve used it for a long time just happened to over do it! Broth is probably good, I feel nauseous too!

(Lybbe Blair) #12

I am a huge fan of bone broth

(G. Andrew Duthie) #13

If you’re taking magnesium for its calming effects, another supplement to consider is l-theanine, which promotes GABA. Theanine is the substance that helps make green tea calming.

(Erin Macfarland ) #14

I’ve used that occasionally before bed, it helps calm my kids down too haha! I just try to make sure I get magnesium because I know it’s difficult to get from diet alone