Macros calculator

(Q Ish) #1

I have been trying diff macros levels for almost a year now and I still feel like I am not hitting the right numbers. How are you guys finding your target macros? Websites suggestions which brought u success? I am so frustrated. I think I am just going to stop counting macros and make sure my carbs are low and I eat everytime I am hungry to make a plate rich in healthy fats and some protein.

This is what I do. It takes the stress out of everything.

My take is that the calculators aren’t really of much use:

• Keep carbs low, to stay in ketosis.
  • Make sure you get enough proteins, as your body needs them
  • As far as fats, let hunger be your guide. Remember that any guesstimate of the fat macro is supposedly what you need. However, some of that can come from stored body fat, so you don’t need to eat the guesstimate amount. If you want to lose weight, you want that stored body fat to be used. It may not, if you’re forcing yourself to eat fats when you’re not hungry.

In the end, CICO still counts. It just that those calories “out” can be from foods you eat and fat you have stored away.

So the only macro of any real meaning is that protein.

(Running from stupidity) #4

This might help, I think.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

That was going to be my suggestion. Keeping carbohydrate low (we suggest under 20 g/day) is over 90% of this way of eating. Don’t neglect protein, and it’s begining to look from newer research, that it’s better to err a bit on the side of too much, rather than risk getting too little. And then fill in the rest of it with fat to satisfy your hunger. Those are my “macros” at any rate.

(Jessica) #6

The whole thought of strict macro counting is what kept me from trying keto for so long. I thought it was too complicated. To me, the carb limit is strict. The fat and protein is just a general idea. Basically it’s just made me not afraid to eat fat. I add butter to things to make them taste better. I chose fattier meats. I don’t count.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

IKR? I could never have done this if I had to (a) go hungry, or (b) count calories! :frowning: :bacon: :grin:

(John) #8

I’ve checked a few sites that have calculators out of curiosity, but I haven’t paid that much attention to them.

This is basically my approach, though I make sure to include greens/veggies/berries along with the fat and protein.

I haven’t counted anything. I don’t measure or weigh foods. I don’t use a calculator or app.

I did Weight Watchers years ago when you had to keep little paper records of the total “points” of everything. From doing that I learned what a portion size looks like (smaller than you think).

Meats, poultry, fish, eggs, greens, salads, vegetables, some dairy in moderate quantity, some nuts in small quantities, berries in small quantities, butter, oils, mayo and dressings. Eat those, in reasonable amounts, when truly hungry but not for other reasons. Easy stuff.

(Carl Keller) #9

BINGO!

Macros are not stretch pants and one size does not fit all. IMHO, understanding and responding appropriately to hunger is the key to a good diet and healthy weight loss.

(Ohio Fatty) #10

I prefer the Ruled Me site. You can make a lot of adjustments there.