Macro Advice wanted

(Tj Slattery) #21

Good call on the lactose! Ps I just used those percentages for a high level measure. I’m tracking all the macros via grams. Here is what my day looked like yesterday, and below are my averages for week 1.

Great improvement on the carbs. But I would agree with @larry in changing the fat to protein ratio. Have you worked out what your ideal protein intake is for your LBM?

(Tj Slattery) #23

I’m not exactly sure how to measure my LBM. I know it’s under there somewhere :grin:

(Larry Lustig) #24

If you’re looking to eat ketogenicaly I just want to point out that you seem to be eating a lot of very lean proteins. Chicken breast, in particular, is more expensive and less healthful than legs or wings.

Lol. I have set up a topic to collect recommended calculators for LBM here…

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/how-do-i-calculate-lbm-lean-body-mass/4595

Once you have it, a general guidance is 1-1.5g per kg LBM although this may go a little higher depending on your exercise plan. If you are doing muscle gaining type workouts you might want more. The best way to find out though is to experiment on yourself - try different levels and see how you feel and how your body reacts. There are plenty of people who will jump at the chance to dictate exactly how many grams of this and that you need but you are the best person to work it out.

(Alex Dipego) #26

Remember you’re a bigger guy and have body fat to burn. But if you have enough glucose you won’t be burning that body fat too easily. So if you want to be that strong 180, eat that protein. You at highest that’s .8x your weight (of180) that puts you at 145. That’s still pretty high, but if you’re active you may not be wasting much. Of course you don’t need a lot of protein o maintain muscle mass as when properly keto that protein the body needs will more than likely come from excess skin rather than muscle.

Honestly I’m not sure you’re in ketosis. With that said I’d up your fats until you are and then slowly cut them down so that the body burning fat will start grabbing at BF.

The immediate result culture is strong, we need to take a minute and understand the processes at work and understand that you didn’t get this way in 30 days or 12 weeks. It’s been a lifestyle from years of practice that you’re fighting. It will take time to reverse the damage and it will take time to feel strong again. Knowing you’ll feel better internally and externally especially mentally should be what’s driving you. Love yourself and the journey and be patient.

Back to my point! Eat until full. If you want to track go ahead but to let the number of calories scare you. Bring so low for so long is CICO and slows the metabolism. We want to get that metabolism going hard!

(Gary Villines) #27

so what about this? I’m 6’3" 247# and in relative good shape. I’ve got my carb gr down. But how much protein is too much?

(Jason) #28

@Tj_Slattery - what app is that?

(David) #29

That’s My Fitness Pal.

(ds) #30

I cant read all those replies, sorry everyone, but you responded to OP not me. :blush::thinking:

Dear op. Stop counting calories they say. If you are like me you cannot do this. Hopefully like me you can see some logic in their arghments about the issue being with the hormones and such. As such shoot for 3000 calories per day. Also fast sometimes and intermittent fast sometimes. Not all the times. Mix it up. Even getting a low calorie day is sometimes good so the body doesnt become resistent to the same thing(s) you keep doing. Fasting talk podcast today was great and dr fung talked about resistence. I think it applies here too. Mix it up and most of the time on your eating days keep the calories high and youll do better. Hopefully everyone already said this. Good luck.

Oh, and toooooo much protein. Keep it to 120 grams tops and see how you feel.

(Consensus is Politics) #31

Ok, this puts me in a position of embarrassment and ridicule, but it’s for the greater good of anyone having issues starting out on Keto.

August 29, 2017 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I weighed in at 245 pounds. My heaviest ever, but it was on a upward climb for months, no matter what I did (feel free to ridicule, for I was so sedentary I was just this side of a coma I’m sure. Sitting most of the day, avg maybe 1000 steps per day).

After about a month I started Keto. Other than what I ate there was ZERO change in lifestyle. I think it’s important to note that. Still one foot in the grave so to speak, no exercise. I’d argue i was doing the opposite of exercise. That being said, I lost 20 pounds the first week, and an addition 20 pounds over the next two weeks. For a total of 40 pounds in three weeks, eating fat to satiety, and no exercise. [EDIT: I was wrong about the time frame. I found data the showed me my actual start date for Keto. That was Oct 17, of 2017. By the 31st of that same month (14 days) I had lost those 40 pounds. I don’t really care if it was ‘mostly water weight’. I was lighter, could move more easily, my clothes were looser, it wasn’t dificult to get out of bed, I didn’t get winded going up one flight of stairs. Try lugging around a suitcase or two all day long and not feel relieved when it’s gone🤠]

My blood sugar is never out of normal, healthy, Non-diabetic range now. My HBa1c was 11.7% and based on my avg BG over the past three months (which includes my first month of a avg BG of nearly 300 for that month) the projected a1c is now 5.8%.

My weight loss as of last week leveled out and 200 pounds. I have so much energy now I get off off my but and look for things to do around the house. I pulled my stationary bike off the back porch, where it sat for five years getting a thick layer of dust in it as well as a few things living in it, tore it apart, cleaned it up, and began riding it everyday.

I was still eating two to three meals a day for the most part. But I have done the occasional fast for a day (24 hours) or a tad more. But mostly I think my food intake was just a little too high for weight loss.

So recently I learned about how much protein I should be eating. I hadn’t realized before that it needed to be kept lower, just keeping my carbs under 20 was going to be enough I tthiugh. And I have been keeping that near zero as much as possible. Just incidental carbs at <1 gram per meal.

Turned out I wasn’t too far off, and was very easy to get my fat/protein levels adjusted rather easy.

I ride that stationary bike for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour (7 to 15 miles) every day usually twice a day. I never get tired on it like I used to, I can go for several hours I’m sure, but I don’t want to feel bored while doing it, and my iPhone won’t last the entire time without a recharge. Now I don’t feel so guilty when bingeing on Netflix.