Macadamia nut recommendation

Anybody tried these?

They say they are unpasteurized organic and from austraila (where macadamias originated I think)

Is this a trustworthy brand?

Never heard of the brand, but you can’t go wrong with a product with one ingredient being sold by a business 20 years old. If organic is important to you, it’s certified, so that too.

Makes no difference, it’s a nut. No such thing as a brand name, only different people putting it in a bag. It’s got the USDA Cert on it and the packaging says they’re from Maine. Nothing wrong with that, but doesn’t appear to be from AU, keep in mind a USDA Organic cert is near meaningless, as is any “Organic” food in the US, doesn’t mean it’s not, but means it could be a lot less organic than you think. Doesn’t take much to be called organic in this country.

Good point, I had forgotten how shady and financial-driven the so-called certification industry is.

(Joey) #5

Macadamia nuts are delicious and a great source of fat. I love them.

They’re also a carb trap for many folks (myself included) because it takes extraordinary self-control for many of us to avoid eating several multiples of what is listed as the “serving size” on the bag … i.e., typically just a few nuts.

If you leave the open bag out and start eating them, you will not be likely to stop and, before long, you’ll have eaten a boat load of net carbs … the very thing you were likely trying to avoid on keto.

You’ve made previous posts that suggest you’ve been trying very hard to carve new keto-eating habits for yourself. That means a meaningfully carb-restricted menu, especially for the time being.

If so, macadamia nuts may pose a deliciously irresistible threat to your success at this stage.

Food for thought.

Me, three. I’ve switched to Pili nuts for this reason. They’re so ridiculously expensive (and I’m such a tightwad), that these nuts last a super long time in my house. Plus, they’re so rich that about 12-15 slivers is all I need and I’m good.

(Allie) #7

Don’t see there being any difference tbh

(Joey) #8

Are you referring to macadamia vs pili? If so, from the nutrition profile it seems macadamia nuts have considerably more (both gross and net) carbs per oz than pili nuts.

(Allie) #9

No, different brands of macadamia.

(Joey) #10

Ah, got it!

I’ve been getting that feeling… there are millions of things online certified organic and I just can’t believe there are enough people out there really enforcing and checking up on the practices of these companies making and processing the food.
And then with the food coming from other countries… It all seems so complicated.

Macadamias are 4g carb per serving, same as pecans and walnuts correct?

That’s typically how it works out, they can make the serving size anything they want, but 1oz is basically the default, so that’s typically going to be the case.

In some countries Organic means just that (crazy right), but in the US you can call yourself Organic as long as 70% of it is organic, you can use the seal at 80 something percent if I remember right, and that’s why there’s the second seal that says 100% Organic, like that should even need to be said. That’s why I don’t lose any sleep when I don’t buy Organic things.

I used to do a variety of ‘nuts’, but with rising prices on everything, I just do walnut…just for now.

Macadamias originate in Australia as bush tucker, and are grown on a small under-storey tree in slightly wetter, sub-tropical, rain forest on volcanic soil, in northern New South Wales.

But the trees are farmed widely now. It’s why the trees grow so well in Hawaiian soil (and supply the US market). I imagine the nutrient rich soil of original volcanic soil Australian macadamias would impart different micronutrients than macadamias farmed as a monoculture on more deficient soils.

They are ‘more-ish’, as many people have experienced. Almost irresistible when salted. They can potentially mess up a low carb eating plan, if the plan is for body fat reduction. But I reckon for LCHF weight gain purposes they would be good.

Most of the organic variety I find in the store are from Kenya.

I have tried a few different brands now, and did find macadamias more addictive than pecans or walnuts. I wondered if it had to do with macadamias having more of a different type of sugar (sucrose). Is this possible? Really they aren’t much different in fat than walnuts or pecans so I don’t think it can be the fat content.

Yes, probably the sugar.