Lupini beans

(glenn myatt) #1

does anyone know about these lupini beans ? they are supposed to be zero net carbs.

Garlic and Herb Ground Lupin Beans
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

According to the USDA Lupini beans contain 13.33 grams total carbs and 3.3 grams of fiber per 100 grams. Net carbs = 10 grams per 100.

Note that the producer of this product uses a 50 gram ‘serving size’ and understates the total carbs of 50 grams as 5 grams. It’s really 6.6 grams. AND, the producer overstates the fiber by more than double. There are only 1.6 grams of fiber per 50 gram serving size, not 5 grams. Thus, there are really 5 grams of net carbs per serving size, NOT zero.

This may not be a huge thing for you, but if you intend to ‘snack’ this stuff, you’d be consuming 25% of your daily carbs. Also, personally, when a producer tries to manipulate the numbers to make you think there are fewer carbs than reality, it encourages me to avoid ALL products of the producer. If they’re lying about this one then I assume they’re lying about all of them.

(Mame) #3

I don’t have an opinion about the product but I don’t treat the USDA as gospel either.
I remember lupini beans from my childhood.

When I searched I found several differing labels and these are not products that are trying to vaunt their keto-ness like the product above.

this one says 40g has 2 net carbs:

This one says 56g has 8 net carbs:

This one is wildly different: 130g = 1 tsp for over 20g carbs? I found several with this info.

Could it be because there are 2 varieties? From little sunny kitchen website:
“Depending on which type of Lupini beans you have, soak them in cold water (if you’re using the bitter kind then soak for days and keep changing the water, if you’re using the sweet variety then soak for a few hours of overnight and then cook).”

curious and fascinating!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Nobody’s going to care if you eat this stuff. Go for it. I don’t picture the Roman Army soaking beans for days on end while constantly changing the water. So they probably ate the other kind. Or roasted them like the Confederates roasted dried corn. Just saying.

No one treats the USDA food databases as gospel. Many/most of the entries are derived from producer reports. However, when a product label disagrees with the USDA entry for the same product, I’ll go with the USDA. They don’t have a vested interest in selling you a product. Or playing with numbers because the law allows them to round up/down to their advantage.

(Christian) #5

Here in Germany there are low carb companies selling lupine flour with a very low amount of digestible carbs (2.5% https://www.l-carb-shop.de/index.php/mehle/carb-lupinenmehl-467.html) . There are lots of different cultures of this plant the modern ones containing less bitter ingredients. I use this flour for bread and pizza. Very good.

(Bob M) #6

Interesting info about these beans:

I can’t tell whether they are a possible pizza base option or death incarnate.

(Mame) #7

:rofl: pretty sure the slaves would prep the food before the army marched! :wink:

who knows they may be like black soy beans and be low in carbs… for beans. I don’t miss beans although I did like them fried in lard on occasion.

Some day when I feel adventurous I will buy and test them using my meter for the heck of it.