Lumen - let the conversation begin 😋

(charlie3) #41

I noticed this Lumen product for the first time a few weeks ago. I’m interested if it works as advertised but very suspicious that it doesn’t because of the way it’s promoted. I’m waiting for reviews by people who paid the asking price.

(charlie3) #42

May be the calibration rules can be fixed in firmware. But my suspician is if this was possible it would have been done years ago. I’m hellbent on improving fat adaption. I’m eating 40 net carbs and doing 2 x 1 hour sessions a day of low heart rate training (on an airdyne instead of running). The theory is, if you stay strictly below your aerobic threshold the body will learn to burn fat at a higher rate and the cardio system will still become significantly more efficient, meaning more work at the same bpm. Elite endurance athelets do this kind of training. If fat burning could be measured it might be possible to train closer to the aerobic threshold to adapt more quickly.

Got mine this week. I bit the bullet and did the calibration day ( which requires a high carb and zero exercise day) looking forward to getting back to fat burn. Very curious to see how long that will take.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

I received an email today that my Lumen has shipped. Shipped date: today.

Can Your Body get Fuel from Ketones AND Glucose?
(Bob M) #45

High carb, no exercise? Interesting.

(Rabih Waked) #46

Hi. Just curious to know what happened with your Lumen and if you found out whether it was good for Keto or not? Does it tell you when you reach ketosis? I want to buy one myself but want to make sure it’s worth it.

I’m still giving it a chance. I had been sick so I don’t know if the stress kicked me out of keto, but I have been maintaining my standard keto diet I’ve been on for2 years and it still tells me I’m burning carb :woman_facepalming:t2:. Either I’m doing keto wrong, didn’t eat enough carbs when I calibrated or it doesn’t work

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #48

@Eblum418 Keep in mind that you will never be in a state of zero glucose burn. There are cells, red blood cells for example, that require glucose. So even in ketosis you are still burning glucose.

The Lumen gives you a 1-5 score. A being mostly fat burn and 5 being mostly carb burn. I’ve been a 4-5 with a few 3’s since getting the Lumen. No 1-2’s despite almost zero carb days and some fasting days.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #50

Curious and discouraging. I was hoping it would register an RER number. Mine has supposedly arrived, but I don’t have it yet. Maybe Monday or Tuesday.

(Bunny) #51

Kidneys need glucose and if they do not get enough, it makes it via gluconeogenesis besides the liver, then you have lactate being released from the muscle and being converted to glucose in the liver then back into muscle glycogen, then the lactate enzymes in the intestinal lumen will create more glucose, then cortisol will stimulate gluconeogenesis in the liver. Then glucagon is helping convert all these substrates into glucose in the liver.

The process of purposely trying to restrict carbohydrates to extreme degrees to artificially induce ketosis is that your trying to suppress insulin secretions because you have tinier volumes of insulin (i.e. if your diabetic) that cannot handle a higher carbohydrate load i.e. like pure sugar.

But then when there is no insulin, glucagon is sitting their trying to make more sugar?

When you can get insulin, glucagon and epinephrine low enough and even in ratios that’s what opens up the fats cells or makes all of them release there stored lipid droplets and why people lose weight on a ketogenic diet, the ketones themselves have nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing!

That is why it does not work on everyone trying burn body fat or quits working because if you cannot get insulin, glucagon and epinephrine low enough then lipolysis simply stops working.

When you restrict carbohydrates constantly, what you are effectually doing is throwing the insulin, glucagon and epinephrine into chaos or counter synchronization and then you can’t burn body fat.

That is one complex criss crossing maze of events?

And to sum up this post in its entirety HOW GOOD OR SKILLED OF A LOCK-SMITH ARE YOU?

These are the keys to the kingdom of actually burning body fat?

Maybe something to consider is a large % of your energy goes to your brain. While it can use ketones it will most of the time be using glucose.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #53

@Weeverrm

Abstract

…These data indicate that, under conditions of ketosis, glucose consumption is decreased in the cortex and cerebellum by about 10% per each mM of plasma ketone bodies.

I understand completely but I believe the minimum is something like 30% . 30 percent all the time means 1 - 10 is a 3 to start.

(Windmill Tilter) #55

It shouldn’t be physically possible to get much over “1” on that 1-5 scale provided you’re keeping things under 20g carbs per day. They must have shipped you a defective device.

Can you exchange it or return it?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #56

My Lumen has finally arrived.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #57

Unboxing:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #58

Charging:

(Bob M) #59

Has everyone gone to the Apple school of packaging? They always try to make things look so “cool”.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #60

Yes, packaging very impressive. :cowboy_hat_face: