Low ketone levels lately

(MJ) #1

I’ve been on a nutritional ketogenic diet since April and I’ve always had very high blood ketone levels (5 - 6 Mol). Eventually they lowered down to where they should be, and stayed fairly consistent. Lately my numbers have been very low, often going down to a 0.6. Even after a two day fast which normally would up my numbers, I was only at a 1.6. Last night I ate very high fat, very low carb (less than 20 net!) and low protein yet his morning my ketone level was only at 1.0!

What are the possible reasons this could be happening? What can I do to fix the problem? Tonight I have a plans for dinner out and wine and I’m worried I’m going to get kicked out of keto altogether by tomorrow.

Please help!

(James storie) #2

As your body becomes more efficient, the level of registered ketones will drop. What you measure is wasted ketones! KCKO

(Renato) #3

When this happens to me, I would do a period with 20 total carbs and see how my ketones behave, if still low, I would try to check other instances like sleep, stress management or lack of exercise.

If low numbers still persist, maybe your body is optimized for ketones and you don’t need that much.