Low Carb Wines

(Allison Johnson) #1

Has anyone found any good low carb wines? I’ve found that Jacob’s Creek has their nutritional information on their website, but I’m wondering if there are more.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

Black Box Pino is pretty low

Fitwine.com these wines are designed to be low carb. I have tried the whites and they are very good. I found then in a local specialty store but ordered a case on line. I rarely if ever post especially with a product recommendation but just felt I had to share this low carb find.

(Richard Hanson) #4

Hi Alllie,

Any decent red wine will not have much residual sugar. The primary sugars found in wine grapes, Vitis vinifera, are the monosaccharides glucose and fructose. Sucrose is the sugar produced during photosynthesis and is hydrolyzed by invertase into glucose and fructose, both of which are fermentable and converted into alcohol by yeast. There are much smaller levels of non-fermentable sugars in wine as well, such as rhamnose, xylose, and arabinose which will be in the end product. Additionally, some wine has sugar added before fermentation, a process called chaptalization and sparkling wines made by the traditional method, méthode champenoise, will have sugar added before secondary in-bottle fermentation, the liqueur de tirage, and again after dégorgement, the liqueur d’expédition.

So … what to drink?

Any decent dry red wine in limited quantities should not be much of an issue, a glass, but skip all the cheep wines with a high RS, desert wines, ports, and most white wines except those that are produced in dry form. There are some great bone dry Rieslings (troken). Be careful of sparkling wines and learn how to read a label or just ask for advice from your favorite sommelier.

If you can taste any sugar at all, just spit it out.

Keto for Life!

À votre santé,
Richard

Sparkling wines: Champagne Brut Nature (< 3g/L by definition) is virtually carb-free. It’s bloodyexpensive here though.

Red wines: I’d be interesting to know of Chilean reds with less carbs than normal (3-4 per serving) if any…

(Vicki Stroud) #6

I have a bottle of Concha y Toro, Casillero del Diablo, Cabernet Sauvignon, and was not able to find the carbs in it but did find the following

Concha y Toro, Casillero del Diablo, Merlot, Rapel
100 ml
164 kCal
2.4g Carb
Not sure how accurate it is but it is the only thing I was able to come up with

Nutrition facts are not displayed on booze in Chile, so it’s quite difficult to have reliable information. Your piece of data corresponds to what I have seen in various sources (3-4 g/150 mL serving for Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon).

I am surprised by the calories in your estimate. It’s dominated by ethanol at about 13,5% so we expect about 100 kcal (7 kcal/g in ethanol).

(Vicki Stroud) #8

I found it on a website of some store so I am not sure how accurate it is, this early in the game I am just going to skip it. I am doing good with no temptations, but, knew I had this bottle from Chile hanging around