Low Blood Ketones despite strict keto

(BR) #1

Hi All,

I followed keto for 16 months and lost a ton of weight. Great. Took a few months off due to a number of factors and put on about 10lbs. I still have about 30 more to lose. I started back into strict keto 9 days ago. My blood ketones levels won’t go above 0.3. I’m getting a decent amount of calories for my height/weight, protein at 90-105g (I’m a guy) and fat around 200-225g with total carbs at 20g or less. I know we shouldn’t be chasing ketone numbers but it seems very odd. I remember in previous, I also barely ever got higher numbers as well despite being in ketosis/fat adapted for quite some time. Is this normal? Any one else experienced this? I’ve combed through all my food/etc and diet is clean and should not be affecting these numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you tried changing up your eating schedule to see what that does? For example, do you eat several small meals a day, or do you eat like twice a day? What is your idea of a clean keto diet?

I’ve only been doing this for 16 months or so, but I’ve done a lot of weird experiments with food to try and optimize certain things, so I’m just curious.

(BR) #3

Hi There,

I’ve been finishing eating by 7-8pm and then not eating again until 12 or 1 pm the next day. I usually eat two meals and one bulletproof coffee. In terms of clean keto, no sweeteners or funny stuff at all. Keeping it to basics as I’ve been getting back into ketosis. I just can’t figure this out.

(Brian) #4

I wonder why you would think that higher amounts of ketones would be beneficial?

If you look at normal glucose levels in the blood, the body regulates that pretty well in a healthy person. They don’t get too high and they don’t get too low. There is a range that the body likes.

Wouldn’t it be the same for ketones? I would think the body would only want just so many ketones in the bloodstream for a healthy, fat-adapted person. If you have what your body needs in circulation, I’m not sure more would be better.

I could be all wrong but that’s where my thoughts are going.

(BR) #5

I hear what your saying, Brian. Reading through books from keto gurus, the ideal fat burning area is 1.5. 0.5 is nutritional ketosis. I’m not even hitting these numbers. That’s why I’m concerned. I know I’m definitely not fat adapted - I’m only back on keto for about 1.5 wks.

If it’s super important to you, maybe try changing your diet for a couple days to a more plant-based keto. That has increased mine quite a bit lately. Intermittent fasting also increases drastically for me. I think everyone’s body and body chemistry is different, and it’s not really a cause for real concern. But experiment and document, then analyze the trends and you’ll easily figure out what causes increases and decreases. That’s just my 2 cents.
There is some good information posted in this thread… Not understanding my very low ketone ratings

(BR) #7

Thanks Holly I’ll take a look. I’m already intermittent fasting so not sure how to switch that up any more. Can be very frustrating!

(Jay AM) #8

Blood ketones are a measure of ketone energy that’s available to use. If you are using it, then the number will be lower. You were keto long enough before that your body could quickly go back into fat adaptation. I mean, feel free to artificially spike the ketone number with some MCT oil or exogenous ketones but, that’s just to satisfy you. This is why people say not to chase numbers, they aren’t actionable in a useful way. Your body will regulate itself just fine as long as you’re providing the right input. One of the 2 dudes talks in podcasts frequently about how low his blood ketones are. He did recently break through a weight stall by lowering protein, I’m not sure if that affected his blood ketones or not.

(BR) #9

I’ve been off strict keto since last Nov and now returning back. Would I really go back that quickly into fat adaptation?

re fat adapting shouldn’t take very long, but it varies I’m sure. you can tell if you don’t get hangry without eating.

as far as ketone levels go, the context in which you measure matters. regardless many people don’t ever get very high measurements without fasting or intense exercise.

i eat strict 80% or higher fat, in a 6- 8 hour eating window and rarely measure over 0.3 to 0.7.

as long as you are losing body fat and are showing signs of fat adaptation and steady blood sugar levels i wouldn’t worry about it.

(Chris W) #11

I would think if you were not eating 24/7 that you would still be using fat adaption at night while you sleep, unless you were eating high GI foods all the time. Loosing fat adaption could probably take years for some people if you look at how we put on weight over time. Will it be functioning 100% no probably not, but I would bet you still are functioning fat adapted. Which is also why most likely your ketones are not all that high at the moment.

Fast until you get in a fairly deep ketotic state (this may take 3 or 4 days). End the fast by doing OMAD for a few days. Then transition to time restricted eating like 18/6 or 16/8. Measure your ketones everyday (ie. first thing in the morning) throughout the process. They may drop but it shouldn’t be precipitously. If they do, make adjustments to your eating and/or fasting.

(BR) #13

OMAD? What is that?

One Meal A Day. It’s one of the more common intermittent fasting protocols.

(BR) #15

Ahhhhh ok. I do two meals right now with a BPC. I’m generally just not hungry till 12 or 1pm and usually stop eating by 7:30pm the night before.