Low appetite

(Samster) #1

Hi

Is it normal to have an almost zero appetite whilst in Keto?

I have to force myself to eat each day I know I should be eating but I just don’t feel hungry at all. even when I see others in my household eating the likes of chocolate or sweets and cakes I am not remotely interested in it.

Also my rash may have came from eating salmon will try not eating salmon next few days and see how I go.

Yes, you must eat. Make sure you’re eating a healthy amount for your metabolism. Even if you gotta force it. Not doing so WILL end with your metabolism slowing down. The short term will be quicker fat loss, but it’s not worth it, TRUST me! Are you tracking what you eat and SURE you’re not eating enough now? We, meaning PEOPLE typically suck at mentally tracking this stuff. You MAY be eating enough, but make sure.

(PJ) #3

My #1 problem on lowcarb is not eating ENOUGH.

1. I lost a lot of weight fast one time on lowcarb. Most my hair fell out. I was profoundly nutrient-deprived from not eating enough.

2. I went on a 1MAD (one meal a day) plan for awhile. Couldn’t eat enough in that meal. Eventually, that led to the see-food diet, where I eat everything in sight, my body is nutrient deprived and will at some point hugely push toward that if so.

3. I went on 1/0 (eat every other day) plan for awhile. Couldn’t eat enough in that single day between. Insert here, “Eventually, that led to the see-food diet, where I eat everything in sight, my body is nutrient deprived and will at some point hugely push toward that if so.”

You must eat. It’s true that meat especially red meat has the highest nutrient value of food, so it’s possible to eat less, and still be better on nutrients than many people living on the modern carby food supply. But eat less still requires a certain amount of legit EATING.

It’s easy to not be hungry. I don’t tend to much hunger anyway but ketosis absolutely obliterates my appetite. (Lot of fat = lots of food internally!) But ‘energy’ is not the only reason we eat. Protein and nutrients are the primary reasons we eat, if we have our fat for energy. We still need those… very much.

(Samster) #4

Not really being tracking as such just counting the carbs I eat need to download an app I think.

Not being able to eat should be my problem! But on keto I oftentimes have much less hunger and can do IF more easily.
Check out “keto rash”. I had it BADLY.

Cronometer is a good one, even the free version. Very feature rich vs the others and has good insight into the micronutrient breakdown as well.

(Samster) #7

I haven’t had the rash since I last ate salmon so it looks like I was allergic to salmon and not a ketogenic rash as such.

(Jill F.) #8

I have a similar reaction to tuna and shellfish despite testing negative for these food allergies. So weird! Keep making yourself eat, add in more green veggies with proteins and see if you can eat a bit more at each meal. I try to eat a scoop of chicken salad on a green leafy salad with cheese and vinegrette for lunch and steak with steamed veggies for dinner. I usually skip breakfast and find when I eat this pretty regularly I feel well and don’t eat too little or too much.