Looking for new doctor after bad visit with current doctor

(Tim) #1

Well, I had my first doctors visit today to get some labs run and it didn’t go well. He told me that I didn’t need the labs I was requesting and that what I am doing is crazy. I tried to talk to him about it but he wouldn’t have any of it. When I asked him if he would read some stuff on keto if I brought it in and he said no that he doesn’t have time for that. He also said that if I was going to keep doing what I was doing that I should find another doctor. So here we go. I am in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. If anybody knows of any doctors that are keto friendly in the area please let me know.

Wow. If he’s that close-minded, finding a different doctor is the best thing you could do.

(VLC.MD) #3

What blood tests did you ask for ?

(Tim) #4

I wrote them down so that I wouldn’t forget. I asked for the NMR Lipo Profile, testosterone, hsCRP, Insulin, and HBA1C. I

(VLC.MD) #5

You dont need any blood testing for keto really.
It’s not about blood tests.

Forget the blood tests and keto yourself !
Are your goals to improve your lipid profile or to lose weight and feel better ?

I certainly wouldn’t put my keto off for blood tests.
I haven’t had blood tests in 5 years or more

(Richard Hanson) #6

Hi Tim,

I would find a much better doctor as your current doctor does not appear to understand that he works for you. It was very kind of you to offer to help him cure his ignorance, but then those that already know everything are those least likely to be able to learn anything. A doctor that does not have the time to learn should have his medical license revoked. I would never except this type of arrogant behavior out of anyone, and most certainly not from someone who is working for me.

I do agree with your doctor’s advice to find another doctor, it might be the best advice he has ever given you.

You get to decide what tests you want and don’t want, what information you would like to have. Any decent doctor would be happy to help any patient learn as much as they want to learn about their own health. They might discuss the value of that information and offer options, but if you are interested in the data, I think that a positive. A test may not be “necessary” but patients that are empowered to learn more, self motivated people, are more likely to have beneficent outcomes.

Keto for Life!

Even if you can’t find a keto educated doctor, I think almost any randomly selected doctor would be an improvement.

Best Regards,
Richard

(Donna ) #7

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #8

I’m happy for your loss in this case. You don’t need a DR like that.

(Jim) #9

I fired my Doctor too after he wouldn’t do the tests I asked for. I found out shortly later, that my prostrate is extremely large, after he told me it was ok. My feeling is if a Dr is not cooperating with you, he/she is more likely to miss other things. Your best bet is to find another Dr.

(Jim) #10

Last visit to my new GP, she asked me, in a dismissive way, how long I planned to stay on keto. I responded with “the rest of my life”.
Today I charted my lipid results for the last 8 years and she said this is fantastic, what did you do to improve your HDL and lower your trigs. I answered with one word, Keto!

(Jonathan Brady) #11

I’m a pharmaceutical rep and you wouldn’t believe the number of physicians who have absolutely zero interest in learning anything beyond the bare minimum to get into practice. It’s truly disturbing.
That said, there are TONS of great physicians out there. Unfortunately, the literature and guidelines don’t keep step with one another. Expect at least another decade of the current recommendations, if not more.

(Randy) #12

Finding a “pro-keto” doctor may be difficult. But I’ve seen a lot of posts here where their doctors say “if it’s working for you, keep it up”. Including mine. That would be a good first step. Good luck.

(Shayne) #13

Check out Dr. Ken Berry on Youtube. He has a video where he lists out some resources on how to find a keto-friendly doctor. I haven’t used them because I already have one, but thought it might be helpful to you.

(Hank) #14

My doctor yelled at me last fall about staying on Keto and to quit cheating.