Looking for a Knife

(Ernest) #21

My favorite brand as well!

(Ernest) #22

At home I use Wüsthof.
When travelling, I got this set of Mercer from Ace Mart kitchen supplies store. Excellent knives

(Ken) #25

My favorite knife is a Sabatier '14" Chef’s knife going on 40+ years old. My Mother bought it in France. Superior balance and fairly heavy. I have many other knives, but it’s hard to beat the quality of the older ones. My butcher knives are all antiques and are Carbon Steel. They hold a better edge but require more care.

(charlie3) #26

Bachelor am I, only got serious about actually preparing food a couple years ago. My big production is a large veggie salad with a lot of different vegetables. I use 3 different chef knives, 6", 8.5", and a 9.5" all with good stories to tell. I’ve also got a chinese clever i used for mincing up avecadoes. The best sharpening is by hand, time consuming, and takes some skill. I don’t do that yet. There are several places in my area that specialize in sharpening knives for local commercial kitchens. The charge $2 per blade. I walked mine in and watched the process. The knives came out sharp but they took off more material than hand sharpening. There is a kitchen knife forum where collectors come together and are welcoming to newcomers.

(Helen) #27

I like Richardson Sheffield. If you have high demands for your kitchen utensils, this brand will be an excellent solution for you to buy.

Some products from Richardson Sheffield come in a set at once. A set can consist of several different knives or a whole kit with a stand.

It all depends on how many knives you really need to have in your kitchen: if you plan to replace all the knives, the most advantageous offer is a set from Richardson Sheffield of 3-5 items.

(Roberta Worley) #28

Wusthof. Wusthof and Wusthof.

Some long time friends of ours have Henkel, but you do have to be careful because not all Henkels are created equal.

Costco sold some that were made in Spain. The ‘real’ Henkels have two of those little men etched on all their knives whereas the ones made in Spain only have one.

I had ‘wedding knives’ that lasted ages and was very thankful for them but could never get them sharpened because they all had a serrated edge.

We first looked at Henkel because of our friends. But we decided on Wusthof because they had knives Henkel didn’t.

We currently have the following Wusthof knives: carving knife and fork, serrated bread knife, two Santuko knives, a gourmet knife and a paring knife.

We still want to get a set of steak knives but have kept the one from our ‘wedding set’ along with the paring knife. It’s always good to have two of them. At least, I find it useful. The only other knives we have that aren’t Wusthof is a meat cleaver and something that looks like a steak knife but is more rounded at the end.

HTH

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

Buy one of these:

Buy any stainless knife you want. Never touch the blade with anything other than the Block Sharpener. The knife will last as long as you and stay razor sharp. If the knife comes with a so-called ‘self sharpening’ case, throw it away immediately. It will ruin the knife faster than anything else.