Longer fast for the first time tomorrow

(Erica Ramirez) #1

I’ve been doing <20 carbs since May 9 (started May 1, but had a couple slip ups, so real start day is the 9th). I got over the Keto flu pretty quickly, and feel sure I have been fat adapted for weeks. Generally, I’ve been not eating after 6pm or before 1pm for 2 weeks anyway (19:5)…so I feel like I am good to try a 24+ fast. I have never done a fast, but most of the time I feel like am just eating to eat, not real hunger, so hopefully it won’t be too hard.

Questions: should I fast if I am losing weight still and not at a plateau- or should I wait until a stall?

If fasting, do I still take my supplements/vitamins? Should I still try fit in my evenings walk/jog? Lastly, can I drink coffee all day lol (black with 1 Splenda pack, I am not doing the Coconut oil in it anymore).
Any more tips?

(Ron) #2

You should be fine without supplementing for a 24hr fast but when you get to a longer one it would be advised. Fasting during weight loss is perfectly acceptable and is preferred over calorie restricting.
If you can, try not to use Splenda. Artificial sweeteners can cause cravings.
Go for your walks, it’s good for you to be moving.

Side note -
Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose (D-glucose) and maltodextrin (by volume) which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of mostly indigestible sucralose. Sucralose is made by replacing three select hydrogen-oxygen groups on sucrose (table sugar) molecules with three chlorine atoms. Not the best sugar substitute.

(Erica Ramirez) #3

Thanks so much for the info.

I bought Stevia after reading it was better for Keto diets, but the nutritional info on the back says 2 carbs, while the Splenda says less than 1. Strange…is stevia a better choice (just count it towards my daily allowance of carbs), or is there something better than both?

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a good way to know without testing it on yourself with a blood glucose meter. Some people do have blood sugar elevations from stevia, while many others don’t.

Good luck on your fast! Sounds like you’re pretty close to 24 hrs already so it should be fairly smooth. Getting extra salt is always helpful for me even with the one-day fasts.

(Erica Ramirez) #5

Thanks, how soon after consuming the artificial sweetener should I test BG levels? I have a meter, I just never know when to test glucose! Ketones, I test in the AM, and again right before eating (19 hr fast) and then sometimes at night lol I’m getting slightly less obsessed with those numbers…now that it’s time to reorder the strips :joy:

(Ron) #6

Test you BG levels 60 to 90 minutes after consuming.

I test ketones the same time every morning after waking before consuming anything. It still isn’t very accurate as there are many variables but in my mind this is the best chance for less variables than any other time.

(Erica Ramirez) #7

I tested my blood glucose just over an hour after consuming 1 packet of Splenda (in coffee, no food) and it was 85. That’s ok, right?

(Alec) #8

Yes, fasting is good if you feel good and want to do it. No need to wait for a stall.

I would say keep taking your supplements, no harm in that.

Yes, walk/jog/run/do HIIT, bike ride, swim, you name it, you can do it, and it feels sooooo good exercising while fasted. I call fasting keto on steroids. I call exercising while fasting, fasting on steroids! It just speeds things up! NOT calories in, calories out, that doesn’t work, but burning fat and a lot of it while exercising and fasted teaches the body how to burn fat. You do become the fabled fat burning machine!

Coffee? yes! I would not last on a fast without coffee… go for it!

Enjoy your fasting. Remember, whenever you are not feeling good, stop the fast. There is always another day.

(Ron) #9

Yes. That suggests that the amount you consumed is not causing a high insulin response. :smile: