Long term keto, weight gain?

(Cece Blackstock) #1

Hello all! This is my first post. I’ve been on a ketogenic diet since Sept 2015, and love how it makes me feel. I’ve managed to lose 50lbs eating this way, as well as practicing intermittent fasting.

I am female, age 33, height 5’1" SW 171lbs, CW 121lbs, goal 115lbs.

I had actually reached my goal weight in November 2016, and slowly increased the amount of calories I was eating by about 50 per day until I stopped losing. Since Feb 2016 I’ve noticed a creep in my weight in the wrong direction… only by 5lbs, but it seems to be sticking and not fluctuating. The calories I had been maintaining at were about 1470 with 125(ish) grams of fat, 65(ish) grams of protein, and 20-25 grams net carbs. Workout 1 time per week, combo of sprints and heavy (for me) weight training.

I really like eating like this but I’m terrified of becoming the person I used to be… I don’t want to gain the weight back. I’m hoping there is somebody on here who has experience as a long term keto-er who has maintained their weightloss? How do you do it? Can you offer me any advice?

I’m very sorry for the long post, and am very grateful for any advice… cheers! :beers:

(Brad) #2

So a couple ideas:

1. the workout / weight training may be building muscle, which weighs more. Check your measurements as the scale is a awful weigh (see what I did there) of to determine success.
  2. experiment with your ratios / calories / diet

And keto on…congrats on your success.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Would recommend that you avoid focusing on calories. Keep carbs below 20g (you may want to experiment with total, rather than net carbs…some people don’t do as well using net), protein sufficient for your lean body mass (1-1.5g per kg of LBM), and fat until you’re sated.

Limiting calories can make your body think there’s not enough food, and slow your metabolism, which will impede your progress.

Another option for keeping things moving in the right direction is to add in either intermittent or extended fasting. Fasting can act as a lever for overcoming remaining issues with insulin resistance, while keto feasting can help with maintenance.

Brad’s point with respect to muscle, however, is a good one. If you’re doing weight training, there’s a good chance you’re building muscle, so if you went from 115 with more fat to 121 with more muscle, that’s a move in the right direction, but it’s not something you’ll know from the scale.

Good luck!

(Cece Blackstock) #4

Thank you so much Brad and Andrew for your input! I have also been tracking my measurements, which have gone up very slightly. I’m still doing IF, with a 16 hour fasting period. I still have a good waist to height ratio, and feel really amazing. I have been trying to “play” around with my macros and calories a bit.

(Michelle) #5

Hi - are you tracking your food in an app? Or keeping a food log? Sometimes this helps. Also, maybe go without dairy for a while, or no nuts for a while and just shake some things up. Different food at different times, not always doing 16 hr IF, etc.

(Cece Blackstock) #6

Hello! Yes I use MFP to track and log. I’ve been pouring over my diary for the last few hours, and have realized that I’ve been consuming more dairy than before… I’m gonna try cutting that out for a bit and see what happens… you might have hit the nail on the head!

(KetoCowboy) #7

I’m only 15 weeks into keto + IF, but I think you may be right about the importance of changing up the IF schedule.

I lost 46 pounds in my first 13 weeks of eating just one keto meal each day, but I’ve gained 1 pound each week the past 2 weeks even though I haven’t changed anything about my approach.

Altering my feeding window seems like a much more sustainable suggestion than trying to cut back on fat (or calories) (or whatever).

(Michelle) #8

Yes, I truly believe your body adapts pretty easily. Gotta keep it guessing, either with different foods, eating windows, feasting/fasting, etc.

Manipulating your metabolism is important. If you are on such a precise food plan then your body can get accustomed to it and slow your metabolism causing you to gain weight.

Give yourself a weight range and if you ever exceed it, then either fast the next day or few or eat your “weight drop” daily plan (that you make in advance and is low-calorie and ultra clean) for a couple days.

(Cece Blackstock) #10

This is awesome info… I’ve already planned on no dairy for the week, I’ll see what that does. Perhaps next week in addition to no dairy, I’ll switch up my IF schedule… thank you so much you guys!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #11

One caution on that…if you switch up more than one thing at a time, it will be hard to know which, if any, benefits come from which specific change. Changing one thing at a time requires more patience, but will make it easier to know what is effective for you.

(Cece Blackstock) #12

Gotcha! Thank you for that note!

(Cash Foley) #13

You have had great success! You are far from being the person you were. I know the importance of being driven for success and determination that failure is not an option. It is obvious to me you that these have been driving forces.

However, you seem very focused on weight. As someone mentioned, with your workouts you can be putting on muscle. This would be good and overly focusing on weight can be counter productive.

Also, you have picked 115 lbs. Goals are important but how do you know that is a good goal? Especially if you are gaining valuable lean mass!

Using percent body fat is a much better goal but much harder to measure. I use a DexaScan but it isn’t available everywhere. But you are lean enough you really need some fine tuned ways of measuring your fat. Total weight isn’t it.

Finally, focus on how you feel and other health indicators. Is weight Really your goal? It’s easy to get distracted from why we have these kinds of goals. Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to be Happy!!!

(Cece Blackstock) #14

Thank you cashfoley. I really had to think about what you’ve said, and somewhere inside me I think you are right; but I really, really reeeeally don’t want to go back to the way I was before. I’ve looked into getting a bod pod done, but I think those are harder to find than a dexa scan… you’ve really given me some meat to chew on, and I really appreciate you for it! Thank you!

(Cece Blackstock) #15

I just wanted to report in with you guys, and firstly tell you thank you for your valuable input, secondly thank you ketodudes for having this forum, and thirdly I just wanted you guys to know that I’ve only changed one thing over the last two days (cut dairy) and I’m down an inch in my waist… :raised_hands: Thank you again you guys. I’ve been reading through so many posts, and the best advice seems to be just to keep calm… and keto on!

(Amy ) #16

Hi Cece - I just read through this string from 2 years ago! I wanted to tell you that it was very helpful for me. I am going through the same experience that you shared (though I am far less organized with my keto approach in that I don’t track anything - not even carbs - I just eliminated all sugars and grains from my diet and really limit processed foods… I do still have some processed ingredients that I cook with). I have a 5-pound increase after a high loss of 30 pounds. My guess is that dairy is my problem too. I have to admit, however, that I just LOVE dairy! In my coffee, in recipes, even in LCHF desserts! But I think I gotta try letting it go. Just thinking out loud with you as I come to terms with this!!!