Lonely dog problem

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #21

Have you considered hiring a trainer to work with her “resource guarding” and while looking for a doggy daycare who would be willing to work with you guys while she trains. Or better yet, a doggy daycare that offers training and who can work with her?

In the mean time, exercising her and wearing her out before you leave her for the day or after work will help. If she isn’t crated, offering enrichment/puzzle toys while you are gone can keep her occupied.

I do not recommend getting a submissive second dog to please your dominant first dog. It isn’t fair to the submissive and reinforces bad behavior in the dominant. Ideally you’d want two confident dogs on equal ground while you remain their alpha.

(Mother of Puppies ) #22

My awesome trainers gave me the tools to handle resource guarding in general, so I was able to get her to stop resource guarding food. But in a situation where another dog would be emotionally impacted, their reactions while I’m trying to train the other one could complicate things.

Unfortunately, because of her past I think she’s OK with alone time, I just want her to be as happy as possible. If she could visit a senior center as a therapy dog, that would be great. But she can’t be in a testing situation off leash with other dogs.

The daycare that expelled her has a master trainer and when I detailed her issues, he declined to work with us.

Note- this is just me being analytical because you know the few times that we run into people she wants them to pet/fawn over her. Other than that, I’ve experimented today with cuddling her more, and I think she’s happy with it?

(Bunny) #23

Parson’s Jack Russell oooooh! I have one of dem! Lol! Likes to try to bite the weenie dog when she gets next to one of his toys!

(Laurie) #24

This may sound harsh, but from the language you used, “your widdle girl” I’m assuming you baby her and have created this. My suggestion is to get hooked up with a quality trainer and attend lessons WITH your dog so you can learn how to be an effective leader. Group lessons are a good idea once the professional has cleared you as a team to attend. But good luck!

(Jane) #25

I can’t offer any advice because mostly had cats, not dogs.

Some of the advice on this thread seems a bit harsh to me, but (hopefully) well-meaning.

I just wanted to post and tell you how impressed I am you rescued a puppy mill dog and are willing to spend so much time and effort to rehab her. Good luck with her.

(Mother of Puppies ) #26

Wrong assumption. She was abused and I rescued her at ten months. She’s very fearful, and likes to be cuddled like a baby at home.

I’ve volunteered in dog shelters for over ten years.

I use concepts from books by Patricia McConnell to help her through her fears.

(Dominance theory is GARBAGE, but I do have expectations of her behavior, and I enforce them, with science-based and proven techniques, not dominance BS.)

Still my bad widdle baby.

I don’t need leadership training. That’s not our issue. This one has gone from an instant barrier frustrated red zone creature to looking at me before she has a reaction to another dog, and sometimes avoiding the situation if she can.

My first Westie’s vet was a behaviorist and gave all puppy parents a positive reinforcement/behavior shaping reading list in 1997. This dog (who I raised from 7 weeks) was a perfect boy for his whole 13 years of life, and a CERTIFIED therapy dog.

(Mother of Puppies ) #27

Thank you.

I almost gave up, early on. Quite a challenge. But, so rewarding, to see her blossom and overcome her fears.

(Bunny) #28

One thing about the Parson’s Jack Russel Terrier is they like a lot of personal only mommy or daddy attention and they are very active dogs, they need to be kept busy like going for walks, drives in the car and playing ball until your hand falls off or they whine a lot! The other is growling like a motor when they feel threatened, the motor gets louder as the threat approaches lol! :rabbit::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::rabbit:

If you leave them alone (when you have to leave) try inserting a treat into a empty dry water bottle by slitting it on the side with a blade, they love that kind of stuff? (they seem to like the sound of crinkling plastic…hours of fun for a terrier) This Jack Russel likes to collect things on long walks like water bottles and other objects like lost kids toys, he will carry them all the way home with jaws locked on the new toy…lol

And they love racquet balls, you get any other kind of ball they will destroy it!

And this one also loves to play with the center of the toilet paper or paper towel rolls and will look for them if you throw them in the garbage (part telemetric; he knows they are their).

(Mother of Puppies ) #29

Awww

(PSackmann) #30

Honestly, I don’t see much of a problem. She has her mom with her a lot of the time, she’s out and about often so she’s well socialized. She gets to listen to NPR when mom isn’t home, and gets exercise and cuddles. It sounds like a grand life for a dog that doesn’t want to share mom with anyone else. If the two of you on your outings run across a dog she likes, maybe arrange a play-date in a local park. Neutral territory, two parents, that might be something to try that won’t trigger the resource-guarding.

(Mother of Puppies ) #31

You are right. It’s not much of a problem.

Her behavior had me questioning whether I should do more. It seems like me giving her more cuddles is helping.

When we first brought her home, she could not believe she was getting attention from three people at once. We would all pet her at the same time and she would just stare at us in amazement.

She spent her first 10 months of life in a crate. That stuff breaks my heart. I’m glad I did not have to give up on her.

(PSackmann) #32

I know what you mean. We adopted a dog who had been in a mill as a breeder for her whole life. She was a MinPin/Beagle mix and they used her to breed MinPins until a litter came out more Beagle, then they dumped her at age 4 or 5. She was at an adoption fair and was ignoring everyone until she saw us, then it was dog love. She was a true Beagle as far as appetite goes, even climbed onto a chair to get to a shelf to eat Beta food (oh how we laughed). She was an only for quite a while, which was just fine with her. She loved camping and hiking, never really liked other dogs. Considering she was kept for breeding, I could understand that part of her personality. I still miss her, even though we have two dogs now.

(Bunny) #33

Use to have two Beagles, this one is Dolly Molly!

Beagle Mix!

This is one is Tiffany!

(Mother of Puppies ) #34

Sweet face!!! :heart_eyes:

(Mother of Puppies ) #35

And here I thought my dog originated food imitations. :joy:

(Todd Allen) #36

Get a couple pygmy goats to keep your dog company and all your troubles will be solved.

(Doug) #37

Not cute or anything, Todd. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Todd Allen) #38

Their not mine, just a google images find. But I have a friend with goats and if you ignore their propensity to consider furniture either food or something to jump on they can be entertaining and could keep a bored pup busy all day long.

(Mother of Puppies ) #39

What beautiful babieeeeessss!!!

(Mary) #40

OMG!! Are you kidding me (no pun intended)? Goats are satan in a fur coat and Pygmies are the worst. Those innocent little faces hide devious minds…

Mary, who learned early that if a fence will hold water, it’ll hold goats.