Liver pain ONLY AT NIGHT - 8 days into keto diet

(Bunny) #21

Taurine is in meat!

(Stephen Price (Lythix)) #22

I think my cat eats it. :slight_smile:

Actually, I’ve made some progress with my cat. I was trying to get her off the biscuits last year. She wouldn’t eat anything else. I found that I could mix in tinned tuna (the human stuff) into her wet food and she has been eating it. Then I switched to the cat stuff (grain free) and shes eating it! Success.

Lets how she loses all those extra kitty kilos now. Shes eight kilos!!

(Steven Fisher) #23

Not gallstones, because the nightly regularity doesn’t fit the pattern of gallstones symptoms, however a friend of mine did suggest that thickened ball bile fluid from the liver transition issues could cause it. I thought that a likely hypothesis.

(Steven Fisher) #24

Almost positive the discomfort was centered around the liver.I’m not worried about any liver damage, just some pain/discomfort in the transition process.

(Bunny) #25

Be Safe!

(Steven Fisher) #26

Thanks for your concern. All the liver discomfort went away about a month ago, and since then I seem to have hit crusing speed with increased and steady energy and improved mental acuity and consistently positive health improvements that seem to continue to improve over time. I’m still really curious about the transition symptoms I had and the implications of this for how the liver works. Whatever the case, keto sure seems to be the way to go for me.

(Holly Arnold) #27

I started keto 3/20/2017 and to date lost 17 lbs and yesterday my liver started hurting and have had my gallbladder out so today I took a break from it all and it stopped and will go back on it tomorrow…see if it starts again.

(Kris) #28

This is ABSOLUTELY EXACTLY what has been happening to me.

My husband and I went on the Keto diet in May of 2017. He lost lots of weight, and I lost 15 pounds or so – and stayed on the diet for six months. We then went off the diet for about six months.

When I tried to go back onto the diet … I started having this discomfort/pressure/feelings of internal inflammation right underneath my rib cage. I searched the internet to try and see if other Keto dieters also have felt this. I learned that I probably had a fatty liver as a result of eating, as you did, Steven, too many sugars and starches.

Like you, I went to the doctor to see what was going on. I was shy about mentioning anything specific about fatty liver or the keto diet, but I talked at length about feeling heavy pressure under the rib cage, and like you, Steven, I only feel it at night. Unlike you, about an hour after a meal, I start to blow up in the abdomen, and it lasts all night long, and usually subsides (but not always) during the next day. It’s not pain, yet, but severe pressure.

My doctor was ZERO help. Acted like there was nothing wrong – suggested that I take Prilosec or something similar to see if it helps. (It didn’t)

I cannot figure out what is wrong. I do have a few concerns …

– I had my gallbladder out decades ago so I think that I may not be processing fats well.
– I definitely had a tendency to overeat sugar
– in the interim between starting the keto diet, going off, and restarting – I had a colonoscopy, and the cleansing out of the colon that is required.

I can’t figure out if this problem is related to a lack of appropriate gut flora which may result from both the Keto diet AND a colonoscopy? Or is this purely the liver having an overabundance of fat that needs to detox?

I’m just holding onto the hope that, like you, the slight pain/pressure that I am currently feeling will subside if just keep Keto-ing on. When you feel this bad, you can’t help but wonder if you’re doing something detrimental to your body, rather than the positive that you THINK you are doing!

(Ron) #29

You body have to change gut biome to handle higher fat and no sugar intake. This will take some time but you can assist it some. I have heard sucesses from people without gallbladders using oxbile to assist with the new bacteria strains and a digestive enzyme before meals will relieve some of the discomfort.

(Jane Dauwer Dabrieo) #30

i’m using both ox bile & enzymes, still waiting for them to work, been weeks

(EJ) #31

I know this thread is old but I have been on keto 17 days now. Liver pain (my gallbladder ruptured when I was 15) has started to ache/feel full or bloated around the 14th day. I thought I was producing gallstones or that my gallbladder was growing back? I have never ate high fat but have been searching aimlessly on the inter web for some one else experiencing these issues. I have added carbs back into my “diet” because I am unable to get in to see my dr for another 3 weeks at this time. I ordered Dr. Bergs Bile salts and hope that helps. From all the research it sounds like i possibly have NAFLD due to the high crab and sugar intake. I am at a loss as to what to do because I truly love Keto and am hating life now that I’ve had carbs (over my daily amount) two days in a row. Any updated help or suggestions? I have read everything else that others have mentioned and hope that maybe there has been some light shed on this that I can incorporate until I get to see my dr. BTW- adding carbs in has not stopped the pain and the pain is in exactly the same spot that my gallbladder pain was in.

(Edith) #32

This is just conjecture since I still have a gallbladder:

Our bodies need to learn how to process the extra fat and that does take some time. Your body has to learn to process the extra fat without a gallbladder. Maybe instead of upping the carbs, ease up on the fat and increase the protein instead of the carbs. As your body gets used to processing fat, you can slowly up the fat.

(EJ) #33

That might be a good idea. I was thinking that I needed to add carbs back but they make me feel dizzy… I’m guess because it spikes my blood sugar? I am not entirely sure. Ill try easing up on the fat and see if that helps. Thank you.

(Ron) #34

Do a search on her about gallblader, it has been discussed quite heavily.
I have read that many supplement with ox bile to help with the high fat in the beginning.

I have had pain under the bottom of my right ribs. Recent is the second episode. First episode was after removal of a kidney stone. This time occurred after re-starting zero carb eating after being in nutritional ketosis.

This list by Dr.Berry is good to work through and consider:

Looking at the picture (and listening to Dr.Berry) things that could be sore:

1. skin
  2. chest muscle
  3. rib muscle
  4. rib joint(s) - bone to cartilage junction
  5. ribs (bones)
  6. pleura - chest cavity lining
  7. diaphragm (muscle)
  8. right side lung lobe
  9. peritoneum (sac lining of the abdomen)
  10. capsule lining of the liver
  11. right side liver lobe
  12. gall bladder (if available)
  13. bile duct
  14. right adrenal gland
  15. right kidney
  16. ascending colon?
  17. pancreas?
  18. pyloric sphincter of stomach?

(Bunny) #36

I was reading something a couple of weeks ago that sounds exactly like what your talking about called “The Sphincter of Oddi” may want to check it out?

Not this Odie

(Katie) #37

I was going to ask the same thing. I think the liver is near the gall bladder. Some people have gall bladder issues as they transition to keto because it is not used to the higher fat.

(Tommy Putman) #38

I Have 100% the exact same scenario, except my pain is still nightly for about 5 days now . Around 8pm or so It starts up. I’ve tried everything to ease the pain. I started to narrow it down to what could be causing it.

~ I started Keto 30 days ago, and lost 15 pounds (65 Pounds over the last year)
~ My sugars were in the 20’s before Keto, now regulated with no meds @ about 7
~ I’m on Cholesterol pills, About 30 days now
~ I eat at about 5pm
~ when I poke my finger just underneath the rib cage it’s severe pain
~ I thought I could be a torn muscle because I’ve had a cough
~ radiates straight to my spine were I already have problems from being overweight
~ I have a tea with cream around 7 but My lactose intolerance never hurt that much
~ I did start smoking again after 4 years about 2 weeks ago
~ But When I wake up, No pain at all. And it starts all over again around 8pm

That’s really all the lifestyle changes

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

@Tommy_Putman I would consider stopping the cholesterol pills for a few weeks as a test.

And the smoking doesn’t help (but you already know that).

And as a general response to this thread, abdominal pain is very difficult to trace, because the sensation of pain is not always located near the organ that is actually hurting. I wonder how the OP knew for sure his pain was coming from his liver. The liver switches from handling serum glucose to creating glucose and ketones (gluconeogenesis and ketogenesis) at the drop of a hat, so I doubt that eliminating carbohydrate from the diet would be a source of pain.

I have some thoughts about what might really be going on, but have not read enough information about the circumstances of the pain to be confident that I am at all right in my guesses.

(Wendy) #40

I was having what I thought was liver pain. Dr diagnosed it as Colitis. At the time had eaten some spaghetti squash. Was having a bad bout of diverticulitis. He said our bodies are not designed to consume some vegetables. They harm the gut. Scratch. And said once everything cleared up so would the pain. He was right! Just a personal experience, something to think about. ?