List of Supplements?

(Jimmy Lock) #1

As I’ve been reading and learning more about the keto diet, I’m seeing some say certain vitamins and minerals are needed such as Electrolytea, Sodium, Magnesium and Potassium

Does anyone know where I can find a list of recommended supplements for those on a keto diet? Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Be sure to get enough table salt. If you are eating a whole-foods ketogenic diet, the rest of the nutrients pretty much take care of themselves. Unless you are vegan keto, in which case the biggest thing to worry about is Vitamin B-12, which is not found in plant foods.

(Jimmy Lock) #3

OK, thanks!

I’m still trying to work out some meal plans for myself and just posted a separate thread asking for idea about what people are eating specifically on their keto diet.

I’ve been doing a daily multi- vitamin for years along with a few other individual supplements I take 2 or 3 times a week.

Now that I’m committing to the keto diet, I’ll need to revisit what I need to take in addition to the daily multi- vitamin supplement

(Allie) #4

Salt.

That’s it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

A basic principle of nutrition is that our diet should provide all the nutrients and vitamins we need. If that’s not the case, it is a sign that something is wrong with the diet. That means that, apart from people with special needs (such as my need for Vitamin D, which is not diet-related), in general everyone should be properly nourished by a given diet.

You may or may not need your vitamin pill and supplements. If you are just taking them on your own, you might very well be able to dispense with them. If you are taking them on a doctor’s advice, then consult with the doctor.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #6

I now make my own electrolytes. Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium are not expensive… unless you buy the little sachets, then it’s crazy expensive.
Weigh out and mix with water daily. Taste OK too!

(Jimmy Lock) #7

How much of each do you weigh out to put in to your mix?

Nothing really changes, we get in what we get in through diet, and what we lack (specifically) is what you should supplement in. The whole planet it Vit D and Magnesium deficient, doesn’t matter how many veggies you eat, the soil is dead. If you’re super active or sweat a lot, the electrolytes can take a hit because we don’t hold onto them well without the carbs, some people blindly go nuts with the salt, some people need it, many don’t. Really depends on you. Takes some playing around with to find what’s right for you.

(KM) #9

An issue with this for keto eaters is that soil is severely degraded as far as nutrient content unless it’s been intentionally farmed to avoid this. In other words, even natural food doesn’t necessarily contain the nutrition it once did.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #10

I’m still playing with the ratios. My starting point was based on a commercial product, so that’s 1000mg Sodium, 200mg potassium and 60mg magnesium.
Those are very hard to weigh out and a typical magnesium capsule is about 300mg!
So my mix is more like 1000/300/300 … and obviously there’s a little guess work. But I’m happy with that and I’m still refining

(Jimmy Lock) #11

Yeah, I don’t want to over do anything

Too bad they don’t have a Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium suppliment that has the daily recommended amount of each in a pill or two

My mum never supplemented.

She retired at 74 years old, started when she was 14.

Fresh veg and all the protein you can eat, brother!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #13

@Jimmy_the_Lock
They kinda do. But those commercial peddlers are making a killing on ingredients that are readily available.
Must be a massive mark up … 2$ -> $500 maybe :man_shrugging:

(Jimmy Lock) #14

Wow! $500 for electrolyte supplements with Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium?

Surely it can’t be that high.

Bull Sh*t

(Jimmy Lock) #16

What about this one…

Trace Minerals | 40,000 Volts Liquid Electrolyte Concentrace Drops

Looks like you just take one table spoon a day of this and there are 40 servings per container

BS. You are a liar and a fraud.

(Jimmy Lock) #18

I am a liar and a fraud???

How so?

(Jimmy Lock) #19

You must be running low on electrolytes :crazy_face:

I’m ok; but you are full of it.

No worries, friend :smiley:

Just do what works for you mate.