Lipomas and keto

(Mary) #1

Has anyone got anything to report about keto having an effect on lipomas? As in, have yours disappeared, like skin tags and acanthosis nigricans?

I’ve got a large one on my back and would really like not to have it removed by surgery. Yes, I’m a wimp…

I have several of various sizes on my legs. Before I started keto in May, they were tender to the touch and quite noticeable as bumps. While they have not gone away, they are smaller and no longer tender. I have gone from 160 to 117 and thought that they would appear larger with less fat to hide in. My legs are much thinner now, but the lipomas are much less noticeable.
So, I would wait before you have yours removed. Am hoping mine continue to shrink.

(Mary) #3

Thank you for this, jeanbar. I was beginning to wonder if keto would do anything for them as I’ve been on keto longer than you have (Jan/18). However, I seem to be more insulin resistant than the average person (it took me nearly 9 months before I lost a pound) and have only recently started to lose weight. It makes sense that all the other keto magic will take longer to happen, too…

Good job on getting to 117 - in my dreams :grinning:

(Karen) #4

I have lipomas all over the place. I have not noticed that they have been reduced by keto at all. Sorry. Periodically they have to be cut out…mostly on my arms. No big deal. I look like a patchwork quilt. More concerning is not the ones that you can see, but the ones that are likely formed inside. Again they’re not reduced, and they’re not going away. Wish I had better news. Keto for a year.

(Bob M) #5

I have skin tags, and the numbers of them I get now are much, much smaller than I got when I was high carb. But I’ve been low carb for 5 years. And I have fasted 4.5-5.5 days nearing or over 10 times, plus have done many 3-3.5 day fasts, 36+ hour fasts, etc. They also seem to be smaller, so that I don’t do anything with them.

(Bob M) #6

In case you don’t know, skin tags are associated with insulin resistance:

While keto improves insulin sensitivity, it does not do so to the extent fasting does. Chalk up another benefit for fasting.

(Mary) #7

Thanks for this, Bob. Yes, I did know skin tags were associated with insulin resistance. I was hoping for a similar link between lipomas and IR.

(Doug) #8

Large effect on scars - almost totally gone, not raised above the skin anymore, can barely see where they were. Don’t notice any skin tags at all now.

But no effect at all on the one little round lipoma I have. :slightly_frowning_face:

(Mary) #9

:frowning_face:

(Rossi Luo) #10

I know this is a very old thread, but I accidentally saw it. I’d like to share my experience on this, it may help someone in the future.
I’m 38 man, and I have several lipomas at my back (both sides), and my belly, and my arm. I started keto diet around 8 months ago, my purpose was to lose weight and cure my fatty liver and control my blood sugar (I have diabetic family history). Accidentally, after 4 or 5 months, I didn’t remember, my lipomas became much smaller, and some of them just disappeared. Now I still have 1 at my right back, and it’s much smaller than before.
I have lost 10KG weights, and my BMI is in the range now. And I didn’t eat breakfast after starting keto, about 4 months ago, I didn’t eat breakfast or lunch. Hope this can help anyone.

(Rossi Luo) #11

I have to share another good news about the lipmoa and keto.
My colleague (male, around 40 I’m not sure about his age, 170 cm, 70KG?) had 2 quite big and hard lipomas at his left lower back and right lower back. I touched his lipomas months ago, so I know it’s really hard and big (the area of the lipoma is around a half of my palm).
He was not fat actually, and his fat was 25% before keto (21% now).
He saw my changes, and he also started keto about 1 month ago to treat his lipomas. And yesterday, he told me that his lipomas had become smaller, and then I touched his lipomas again. Yes, it’s true, I’m not sure if it become smaller, but I’m sure that it is softer than it was before his keto.
And I told him, I didn’t expect keto could work in such a short period…

(KM) #12

I have two, the size of small marbles. I have not noticed any difference from a year of keto. I also have many other sorts of keloids, moles, spots and scars, none of which seem much affected by my diet. That just seems to be what my skin does, unfortunately.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

I had a couple of keloids that went away after I started keto, but it took quite some time, so possibly it had nothing to do with keto at all.

And I have developed a couple of lipomas after five years on a ketogenic diet. Can’t say they wouldn’t be worse if I weren’t keto, but obviously keto didn’t prevent them in my case, lol!

I suspect that people’s bodies can react in very different ways, so it’s probably not wise to try to generalise too much.

(Rossi Luo) #14

Interesting to know this. It seems the lipomas have nothing to do with ketogenic diet if so. Agree that people’s bodies can react in very different ways. My colleague was not fat at all, all the time at least since I knew him, he was not fat for the last 15 years, but he got really big lipomas. Perhaps lipomas have nothing to do with fat.