Lipds panel question/platelet count

OK I had my physical today. No hassle from my PCP as her husband is doing keto. She only asked if I was also doing IF!!

Anyway here are the relevant numbers

All told I’d say this was great news. I am basically telling the cardiologist (phrasing politely) that I am going to 0 on the statins and retesting in 3 months,

One disconcerting number was the blood platelet count which has been steady at 160x10E3/uL. This is within the reference range but at the low end and has been stable for years, Now I have 137. Any keto related impact possible there??

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

I don’t think keto had any impact. I’ve been looking at my numbers, and they have been in the low and middle of the range. The one thing to note for me is that I have been in different medications and chemo because of my cancer.

Are you on anything that might affect your platelet count? I would certainly all your doctor about it. You don’t want your platelet to drop too low.

No, I just had my physical today and we went over this in detail.

Are you getting adequate intake of vitamin K2? Do you bruise easily? I had these symptoms and decided K2 was the most likely way to improve it, but I haven’t had a retest.

The one Japanese dish I truly hate is natto. I do eat spinach regularly. Not sure how I can tell if i get enough K.

Foods rich in vitamin K include:

• natto, a fermented soybean dish
  • leafy greens, such as collards, turnip greens, spinach, and kale
  • broccoli
  • soybeans and soybean oil
  • pumpkin

Rich animal sources include high-fat dairy products from grass-fed cows, egg yolks, as well as liver and other organ meats (30).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-k2#sources

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/

(Jane) #7

Wonderful you have a supportive doctor!

I am curious why you would expect a doctor to order statins when your total cholesterol is under 200? I’ve never heard of that.

All your numbers look fantastic - especially TG and HDL. :+1:

I had been on statins a long time. High triglycerides and numbers were much worse pre-statins. The first column is with taking 40 mg atorvastatin for a long time…i had started at 10 and worked my way up to those numbers… so no, they didnt order them for me when I had <200, I was <200 only because of the statins.

(Jane) #9

Ah, ok - I misunderstood.