Limiting Fat Intake on Keto?#!

(Shromona Das) #1

So… No dessert week starting from today. One whole week of no protein powder and cocoa powder. Woof! scaring me to death already. Ughhh…ok. :frowning:
psst! can I still have a HWC-Egg-stevia microwave pudding? I guess not.
So, I was going through the videos of Kailah Cupcake (I probably got her name wrong. Sorry…) and she said that she kept her carbs below 20 gms (Like we all do on keto) BUT she also limited her fat intake between 30-40 gms as she was NOT exercising.
Some say fats are essential and those people are the greatest because I love love love 15 gms of homemade peanut butter or 40 gms of cheese and some 20 gms of butter but I don’t think my body loves it that much. Sure, it sings with satisfaction and joy while I munch on that baked crispy cheese cracker, but it does not love too much of fat.
problem 1. I can’t have 200 gms of fat like Stephanie keto person suggests. I have established that in the past.
problem 2. I’ve currently sprained my ankle and would not be doing much movement for at least two to three weeks.
problem 3. Do I need to check my calories in vs calories out? It has been working for me.
Problem 4. Since watching calories work for me, I’m being unable to eat as much fat as I used to. I feel terribly guilty if I eat a stick of butter. I feel hungry if I don’t.
problem 5: Should I concentrate on my protein intake and strictly limit my fat intake between 30-40 gms as long as I am NOT doing any sort of physical movement?

(Rob) #2

Another week, another fad, Bibi? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What you seem to be proposing is a bit like this if you are limiting carbs AND fat. You will not make up a reasonable amount of calories with protein (nor should you due to risk of ammonia poisoning) so this is a recipe for extreme calorie restriction.

This is maybe viable for you but it ain’t keto as most people understand and practice it.

You seem to be looking to lose that last 10lbs or 10 kgs depending on mood while attempting to use various ‘easy’ approaches based on long term metabolic adaptation. More fat didn’t work last week, lets try low fat this week. Sadly you would need to do do any of these things for much longer to see any real benefits. We talked about raising your RMR before but that is a LONG TERM objective requiring a lot of effort and sticking with something for more than a few weeks.

I think we’ve discussed before… getting from a body set point (where it feels like you are) needs extreme effort over a short time and isn’t necessarily long-term healthy (though at your age, who cares :grin:) or a very slow and steady metabolic approach (e.g like Richard has been doing for over a year). If you do these 8 or so weeks of extreme calorie restriction the result is unclear but so is what you will have done to yourself and how you will react to the higher calorie maintenance phase. Roll the dice.

I know people with cut abs and great strength and you know how they got it… extreme exercise (hours and hours of crossfit/HIIT/weights per week) and constant calorie restriction. You don’t get that for free.

Saying counting calories works for you isn’t really helpful. It works for EVERYONE in the short term (up to 6 months) so you prove nothing when you play week to week. I used CICO and lots of exercise every day and lost 75lbs until I hit a set point and couldn’t get past it. I then put weight back on. I only broke through that with Keto but I still have 40lbs to go so I am not at the same stage in my journey as you (already at a healthy BMI/weight).

No-one has much understanding of their Calories Out even with some kind of bod pod RMR test since the way the body actually uses calories is a bit of a mystical n=1 art. When fit people overfeed with fat, their bodies seem to both burn more calories but mostly ignore the input and poop it out. However, what you or I would do with it is another matter, hence it it super hard to tell what the CO side is. People who get to very low BF don’t do a CI/CO calculation, they work their tails off!

IMHO you can blast those love handles off in the shorter term if you are going to really work it but if you are at a set point you will be fighting your body for a while. Maybe after many months or even years of serious effort you will have improved your RMR and metabolic flexibility but this isn’t necessarily the language of keto.

Good luck with whatever you try (really) :crossed_fingers:

(Shromona Das) #3

Haha…no no…I’m not desperate to lose my last ten pounds anymore, honestly. I’ve really really been over that phase. I have found my keto peace I guess. If I’m going to do this for a long long time then I should probably make peace with the fact that it is no more about losing weight. I would love doing some physical training though. I’m feeling terrible not being able to go on my morning walk which I rather enjoy. I hate being confined inside. I thought I might be starving myself if I start limiting my carbs to 40 gms. Because I’m sure the moment I start eating more, I’ll put on the weight back. I just want to give this thing a go because eating fat like I used to is leaving me bloated. So I thought increasing my protein intake will kill my hunger, yet won’t make me weak. But I can never figure out how much protein is too much protein.

I’d be real: I really really think that my meal is incomplete without a tiny bit of sweet to look forward to. I’ll have to fight it, but I’m still failing.

(Shromona Das) #4

My hunger goes away quickly now a days. So I’m having a bowl of salad, I can’t eat through the 60 gms of fish or 150 gms of chicken anymore, let alone the bulletproof coffee. The result leaves me hungry every two hours, because I haven’t had enough fat or protein. Hence I’m cutting out veggies.

(Shromona Das) #5

I honestly don’t get calories in and out. It’s something that I was reading about and thought my god! I’ve not counted calories in nine months! Have I been doing keto wrong?

I bought a scale to measure my food and have been logging in to register every ml, gms and oz. It’s driving me crazy! And most often, it’s crushing my satisfaction. My joy of eating has been crushed by the giant truck of guilt. “God, a cube of cheese is 80 Cal!”

(Shromona Das) #6

Please tell me that an extra spoonful of HWC can’t kill keto.

(Shromona Das) #7

By now you must have figured that I have OCD, right? If I feel that I’ve been eating too many calories chances are that I’ll keep eating some more.

(Rob) #8

Limiting your carbs or limiting the fat? I assume fat so yes, you would be starving yourself since you can’t make it up in protein. Remember, ZC is super high fat!

As we’ve discussed before, there are very short, very hard workouts that give maximal benefit for minimal time spent (look on prior threads for Tabata, HIIT etc.). Your walk is nice but has NO impact on your fitness or health.

People seem quite divided on protein vs. fat and satiety. I have seen both claimed as the most satiating. What makes all this so hard is that there is no fixed metabolic reaction to the same inputs between people and it can take weeks to see something play out properly. You’ve seen the protein minimizers and the protein maximizers on these boards both have success based on their n=1. However I don’t see any with long term success around here on Low Fat (though SOME non-ketoers seem to make it work).

I agree and my current kick is sugar free jelly/jello with whipped cream (I make a big bowl of each and eat it for days!) or a couple of pieces of dark chocolate. I am beginning to think these may be inhibiting me from further weight loss but I’ve had confounding temporary illnesses so can’t really tell right now. For you to tell you might need to try several weeks of no sweets to see what happens before introducing them back, like an AIP approach. The probability is that they won’t confound you but there are a vociferous and trustworthy minority who state that sweet things kick them out of ketosis and stop weight loss.

(Rob) #9

You know you are not alone. It is because it is the very devil itself. It works as the stupid traditional expectation would suggest for some, and entirely opposite for others and all points in between. All we definitely know is that it is NOT a hard and fast rule or relationship. That’s why you have to do n=1 to see how it affects you AND in combination with macro changes.

My order of experimentation would be (vs. your baseline macros and calories) -

1. increase Fat for a few weeks
  2. increase Protein for a few weeks (having reduced fat to baseline)
  3. reduce Fat for a few weeks (having reduced protein to baseline)
  4. reduce Protein for a few weeks (having reduced fat to baseline)

Then you could mess with carbs/veggies if you have learned nothing useful. But that would be months of infuriating testing :frowning_face:

Or you could take @atomicspacebunny 's advice about lots of veggies being critical to preventative health…

I know… confused AF!! :confounded:

(Rob) #10

Not for me… but who knows for you? It would require a blood ketone tester to really know.

No, really? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Eating too many calories causing hunger may be psychological but eating the ‘wrong’ macros for you may be more physiological? Again, who knows?

(Kel Ta) #11

Sounds like Protein Sparing Modified Fasting, PSMF, which Dr. Naiman has resurrected. Some people who don’t obtain desired results on Keto try this and find benefit. Once fat adapted, cut fat and don’t limit protein. Take a look at http://burnfatnotsugar.com/. Some fear that excess protein will spike insulin but gluconeogenesis is demand driven. Many folks who are eating a purely carnivorous diet with ad libitum protein consumption are demonstrating that they still maintain solid ketosis and stable blood glucose.