Lightheadedness after consuming Swerve?

sweeteners

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #21

Welcome :slight_smile: Yaā€™ know, artificial sweeteners are weird like that. They seem to effect people differently. Personally speaking, I havenā€™t had any negative effects from any of them, except, that I find most of them to taste crappy / bitter, or just plain weird.
I am a Splenda / sucralose freak though :slight_smile: Actually, I just switched to straight liquid sucralose, as Splenda packets do contain some maltodextrin, so a small amount of carbs, which are easy enough to avoid. The liquid sucralose is VERY cost effective too. 3700 servings for $16 :slight_smile:

Many folks here donā€™t seem to think this video means anything important, but Dr. Ken Berry actually endorsed it, so personally, that says a lot to me.

(PJ) #22

(Melissa Colon) #23

Today was the third time in 7 months that I have swerve and it took me 4 hours to get over the dizziness. To me the Floor was near my head! I canā€™t balance and I get a super sick feeling that Im going to faint! It is only Swerve. I got the feeling a few months ago with the powdered swerve and decided to try out granularā€¦ worst decision ever! Swerve is out the door for me!
I can use splenda or the equa or truvia but cannot use swerve!

(Susan) #24

Welcome to the forum, Melissa =).

I personally have issues with all the artificial sweeteners that I have tried so far, so I totally understand you having problems with a specific one. Since you know this, just avoid that one now. At least it is good that you know, and also nice that other sweeteners do not bother you, so you can still use them!

Please feel free to post any questions that you might have about Keto, and best wishes in your continued Keto Journey =).

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #25

I use Lakanto (monk fruit and erythritol) daily in my coffee. Sometimes quite a bit. Never had any reaction. I like some stevia brands and not others at all, due to the weird taste.

(PJ) #27

Swerve contains two things:
Erythritol (mostly)
Stevia (a little, itā€™s intense so much isnā€™t required)

I am guessing you are having a reaction to one of those.

You could try some stevia drops and see if you react. If not, you know which it is.

So if erythritol is out, you could try allulose and monkfruit or allulose and stevia blends (amazon can show you lots of options). Allulose is a real sugar, albeit without the blood sugar impact; not a sugar alcohol.

(Donna Poffenberger) #28

I just started keto a couple of weeks ago. I am actually trying to control my daily migraines better by stabilizing my insulin! Itā€™s been tough getting through these first couple weeks! I too experienced weird sick feelings after consuming the sugar substitutes containing erythritol. UGH! it was awful :frowning:

I wanted to see if you liked the BochaSweet? I have never heard of this one and would like to try!

(Anton) #29

Yes actually I feel as though I drunk had a drink of alcohol !! I donā€™t like it! I made some lemonade with the stuff and now I feel dizzy.

Yes, for me a small ammount makes the room spin severely, like drinking way too much alcohol does sometimes. I layed down and it kept spinning really badly, quite scary. Tried again a few days later, same reaction.

I donā€™t use it now, tried 2x had a really severe and unpleasant reaction.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #31

It is good you point this outā€¦

" Swerve " Is a brand name. Curently the ingredients are listed as Erythritol and Oligosaccharidesā€¦
The proportions would be interesting to know.

I see a lot of Keto recipes call for Swerve as if were some kind of unique sweetenerā€¦

Generic erythritol costs half as much, if not lessā€¦

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #32

just use splenda for christā€™s sakeā€¦ it isnā€™t hard

I miss swerve. At some point my gut changed and now all the sugar alcohols and even allulose give me intestinal mayhem. Swerve used to be a staple for me when I first started keto. Now even a spoonful will have me running to the bathroom every fifteen minutes for hours.

(PJ) #34

This for me. I had no problem with swerve etc. for years. Now it engenders massive ongoing totally liquid high pressure stool. Less effects by far if with a decent amount of food. Total destruction if I drink it in liquid. No big deal if itā€™s just a little in food.

(Allie) #35

Blockquote
My wife made a dessert that contained erythritol, monk fruit, and maltitol. I felt really shaky and weak afterwards. Iā€™m not sure whether it was from the erythritol or the maltitol, though. I suspected the latter, but maybe Iā€™m wrong.

Itā€™ll be the maltitol, itā€™s evil.