Lightest I've been in 10 years

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

…which is pretty good, I guess. Here’s the thing though, I have quite a bit of fat on me still.
But 11 years ago, with my first complete health flip, I lost over 100 lbs, and got down to 189lbs… And guess what ? I looked freaking terrible ! Like loose flabby skin over my bones, with no visible muscle mass. Took me a year of working out to start looking decent, with maybe 15 or 20 lbs of muscle added.

So this time around ‘IF’ I could ever get myself back into lifting again, I’d like to put on muscle weight, and then start losing fat at approximately the same rate. I’d like to be a LOT leaner, but I don’t want to be lighter.

Heck, if it were up to me, I’d be a lot leaner, and 30 lbs heavier ! I do like the look of those steroided out freaks, that most women think are disgusting… But I have the wrong genetics for that anyway, and not enough drug money, or the right connections :grinning: lol
Anyway, about weightlifting for normal people…
A person might think, “Well you have done this before, so you already know what has to be done”… But in reality, because I’ve done this before, I know how much blood sweat and tears it involves. IMP experience, it was waaay tougher than deciding what food I shoved in my mouth.

All of this said, I was only mildly excited to see this weight on the scale this morning… Need to lose maybe 3 or 4 more lbs so that I can can average below 210 (so my peaks stay below 210)

If only gaining muscle were as easy as losing fat :confused:

Congratulations!!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #3

Good job, @FishChris! :clap:

I’m slim but very wobbly - I used to work out five times a week - gym, swim, running - but got so sick of injuries that I haven’t done much at all for around 9 months so I’m not remotely toned or muscular any more!

Am running in a local fun run next week and am mindful of some wise words I read on here last week: ‘You can’t out-keto zero training’.

Dammit!

(Marianne) #4

Yup; I’m one of those women. To me, muscle-bound men look “fat” in a different way - arms don’t fall to the sides, thighs touch, etc.

(Central Florida Bob ) #5

Way to go Chris!

I hear what you’re saying: weight loss is pretty much all in the kitchen while muscle building is all in the work out.

I don’t recall if you’ve ever mentioned reading Body by Science by Little and Dr. McGuff but his emphasis is building muscle and not spending hours working out (or weeks rehabbing from injuries: attention @KetoSnaps) . It’s a rather interesting book and I’m getting more out of it this second time I’m reading it. (First time was years ago).

Worth a read if you can. He really says things nobody else was saying. There’s no such thing as cardio. There’s no such thing as toning. There’s only building muscle (and it’s support structure - which includes all the cardio benefits).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #6

Thanks all. Yea, my GF does like the look of guys that “she says” are buf… but her idea of buf, and mine are two different things :slight_smile: lol I like the freakish super hero looking guys :slight_smile: But alas, I couldn’t ever be that way if I tried. Genetics are such a HUGE part of that, and that is the elephant in the room…

(Susan) #7

Congratulations on being the lightest you have been in 10 years, Chris.

You are eating right, and have changed your body for the good, so that is what is important. Just stay on track and do whatever workouts or exercising, etc that you want to do, and I am sure in time that your body will modify itself over time =-).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Thank you Bob :slight_smile: I might see if I can read this with Ebooks ?

And btw, I do have one little hope… Muscle memory… Maybe it wouldn’t take “quite” as much work to get 3/4’s of my muscle back, as it did to build it the first time around ?
Plus, to be honest, I’ve looked at myself in the mirror a few times lately, and actually saw a little definition (especially in my thighs) simply by having uncovered it from the fat I’ve lost. So maybe I haven’t really lost ALL of the muscle I built from 10 to 5 years ago ?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Thank you Susan :slight_smile: So now I’'m just trying to figure out how to start working out on a “moderate basis”… keeping in mind, I’ve hardly done anything in my life “moderately”… :slight_smile: lol

(Susan) #10

Considering your injury was due to that very unfortunate freak accident; please try to proceed with caution so that you do not injure yourself again. BTW, just as a side line remark here, I am sure that your lovely girlfriend is very proud of your Keto accomplishments and loves you for you; and probably finds you quite buff and handsome already… so just keep up the Keto journey, with some exercise and some Fasting for Autophagy, and the combination of the three will also positively affect your body shape and muscles, etc =).

(Central Florida Bob ) #11

I bought the Kindle edition some years ago, read it and tried doing the workouts at home only to injure myself. I’ve been getting back to it and seem to be doing better. At least I haven’t hurt myself. I started at the end of May and I’ve worked up to where I can lift as many as two notepads at once. Not to brag, but with two pencils at the same time! :crazy_face:

Muscle memory? Wish I knew. I’ve always heard it’s easier to rebuild than build the first time, but I can’t prove that. I think that I regained my leg muscles faster after I restarted road bike riding a year ago than ages ago, but I have no measurements to compare it to.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Hey Bob, speaking of injuries… So I lifted hard core, 6 days a week, for 5 years. Then, I ruptured the disc on my back, leaning way out over a bin of watermelons, on one leg, then trying to yank one out from between the others, and the side of the crate ? :anguished: Like really ? WTF ? Don’t worry about lifting heavy… just make sure your wife or GF picks up the watermelon :slight_smile: lol

(Susan) #13

Watermelon balls are 1 gram each… so maybe not the best fruit you want to be eating on Keto =).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #14

Yea… I haven’t eaten watermelon since I went keto. I had already checked, and the way I used to eat watermelon…liitterally 2 or 3 lbs at a time… It would not be good !
I actually used to eat so much (during bulking up periods) that I’d gain 15 lbs in a month, mostly from just watermelon ! Granted, I’d eat more of everything else during those periods too… Often 5500 cals a day !
Then I’d cut it “way down” to 4000… And I’d lose 15 lbs in like 3 weeks.
Still, like I say, it didn’t matter, 4000 or 5500, I was always ravenously hungry. That was no fun.

But yea, watermelon adds a lot of sugar, but not much else…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

No male thigh gap (Toblerone tunnel?)…
:joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face: