Let me get this straight-If I drink heavy cream and eat butter I’ll be skinny?

(Blue Polka) #1

I’m new to this Keto thing and it’s throwing me for a loop-what I’m reading. So you’re telling me that if I eat the following everyday for example:

-endless cups of heavy cream and heavy cream lattes

• a stick of butter
  • cream cheese, pimento cheese, almond butter, cashew butter smothered on endless celery sticks
  • salad drenched in olive oil
    -spoonfuls of coconut oil
  • Sour cream, cheese
    …you’re telling me this will get me to be a skinny girl and not make me sick and fat!!! Say what!!!

No. That’s not what anyone says (or should be saying if they are.)

I’d start here:

http://blog.2keto.com/frequently-asked-questions/

(Blue Polka) #3

Ok… it seems that is accurate from the bit I read.

(Allie) #4

What reputable site says you can drink “endless” cups of heavy cream, spoonfuls of coconut oil, or eat “endless” cream cheese, pimento cheese, almond butter, cashew butter? Please post what you’ve read?

(Amanda) #6

Not in my experience, per se, the list you gave are all delicious items to INCLUDE in your meals, not base your meals on. Include healthy fats, quality protein and low carb veggies. Then add in what you like to make it the most delicious! For me, the answer is ALWAYS butter!

I am no expert, only been doing this for about 5 months, but this has worked for me! 60+ lbs down, still a lot to go. :smile: Good luck on your journey!

(Blue Polka) #7

The website I was referred to above said to eat FAT to satiety. So yeah as much as I want in other words. It says to moderate proteins and eat fat to satiety—- hence my original question/ point—-Say what?!?!?!

Satiety does not mean “endless” which implies a gluttonous gorging which I’m afraid is giving keto a bad rap in many circles. “Satiety” means eat just enough until you’re satisfied. Satiety and “endless” are two entirely different concepts, hence our disconnect on the language you’re using.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #9

I’ve been keto for well over two, closer to three years now and consider myself well fat adapted. Satiety was something I couldn’t remember feeling when I was eating excessive carby meals. I could drop a whole pizza, and chug most of a 2 litre soda and still “feel” hungry. After dropping carbs - and believe me, the cravings and withdrawal pains were horrendous - however, after going through all that, satiety now works as nature intended for me… that’s one of the effects of keto. It allows your body to signal and for your brain to hear the signaling that carb-heavy eating destroyed.

If I was to stuff my face with fat now, beyond satiety, I’d probably throw up! It’s a powerful signal once you learn to hear it.

… but you have to listen to satiety. It’s a skill that must be learnt. It just doesn’t begin instantly. Going keto has it tough times, mostly in the very beginning, and you can’t half arse it. It’s all in or nothing and it can take weeks or months to get over that hump.

Just to echo what you’ve heard above: endless cups of cream and a stick of butter, etc would take most human beings way way past satiety (likely into pretty intense nausea).

Carbs to 20g or under + protein to fit your needs + fat to satiety.

(Blue Polka) #11

Well ok I guess my point is that the concept is still amazing and unlike any other I’ve heard. I mean it sounds too good to be true—- are people actually skinny on this diet or just “leaner”.

Yes, it does sound too good to be true :slight_smile: but it works.

Some folks are very lean on keto - or on their way there - but there’s a pretty big range. For many people with extreme metabolic issues (which is often the motivation for going keto), reversing diabetes is the #1 priority. Usually they lose lots of weight along the way but for many of them, getting skinny is not the goal (getting non-diabetic is the goal!).

In any case, I think that the answer depends on your definition of “skinny.” What seems to happen is that weight will settle at a good place - sustainable, healthy - for that particular body. Whether that good place is where that person wants it to be… well, that’s a different question.

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

^^^^This, so much this.

Once you get your carbage under control, you don’t want endless cups or sticks of anything. I cook with butter and can if really hungry eat a pat of butter. But I can’t eat endless sticks of it at a sitting.

For me, it has been. If I had known five decades ago what I know today, I might have saved myself a lifetime of yo yo dieting. I’ve never lasted longer than 6 months on any other diet before losing my will power and going back to old eating habits, only to gain all the weight back. And I only lasted that long because I was using appetite suppressants – ones that are now banned by the FDA.

The best thing for me is that I’m no longer hungry all the time, while consuming about a third of the calories I used to.

I’ve lost 180 pounds so far. After the past 20 months of restricted calorie keto and 3 years of lazy keto before that. And, I no longer need insulin or metformin for my T2 diabetes. Keto controls my blood sugar far better than those medications ever did.

I could still eat nearly endless amounts of bacon, sausage, cheese, and butter if I let myself. But now I’m in better control of such urges, unlike before.

The adage I’m trying to apply now is – “Eat when hungry. Stop when full. Mostly meats.”

(Blue Polka) #15

But is this healthy? It just doesn’t sound right? I figure would need fruits and grains too.

(Blue Polka) #16

Wow ogre. What do you mostly eat? Fats or proteins?

(Blue Polka) #17

Are you all healthy?

(Blue Polka) #18

What separates this diet is the HIGH FAT requirement. That’s the point. Otherwise it’s like any other diet. I’m sure there are skeptics.

(Blue Polka) #19

Cholesterol anyone?

It’s not really a high fat requirement, just not a restriction on fat.
Most of the conventional wisdom on cholesterol is terrible. If you want more info and have plenty of time to have your mind blown some more, you can head over to Dave Feldman’s website.

Humans have been eating animals - and prizing their fats- for as long as we’ve been human. It doesn’t really make sense that a food that we evolved with is actually bad for us. High fat in the context of SAD can cause real harm, but it’s the processed stuff that’s the problem.