Learning the Hard Way

(Brian Bfd) #1

I hate learning things the hard way, but I did it anyway this past weekend.
I had reached a personal goal (1 of about 5) on the path to getting back to my “fighting weight”. So I had said all along when I reached this one I was going to allow myself one meal to kinda cheat on. In addition I’d kinda hit a plateau of sorts and thought maybe this cheat might break that too.
Killing two birds with one stone sounds like a great idea, right?
Well, it wasn’t.
So we’re at my neighbor’s son’s 5th birthday party and I decided, "Okay, I’m going to indulge in my most favorite food of all, Blue Bell ice cream. I ate about 1 (one) cup of plain ole vanilla.
I was soooooooooo disappointed because I haven’t had a party foul since day one (Sept. 1st, 2019) and I actually didn’t really care for it.
Then came the payback…
I was awakened my what I thought was a pack of wolves growling outside the bedroom window, but it was my stomach. Then the cramps and nausea set in along with the sweating. After a full hour and a half of this suffering the Blue Bell made it’s reappearance. I went through the most voilent vomitting I’ve ever had, even exceeding a two bottle MD 20/20 bender as a younger dumber man. This went on for what seems like and hour but in real time was about 5 minutes. Once it was over I immediately starting feeling better, but was however very sore for a couple of days after. Just remember there are consequences other than weight gain for coloring outside the lines.
So now I have assigned dangerous animal designations to all foods that are a temptaion.
King Cake - Lion
Pie - Tiger
Ice Cream - Grizzly Bear
Donuts - Lepord
etc…

Oh my gosh I was starving and I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

:roll_eyes: I find it more than curious that so many consider it a ‘treat’ to eat the stuff that wrecked their metabolism in the first place. Yes, I speak from experience.

At least your stomach knew better. :+1:

(Susan) #3

That is a great idea, Brian! I like that =).

(Brian Bfd) #4

Probably because not all of us have reach the “enlightened” stage.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

We’re all students trying to learn as well as we can and help each other however we can. The lessons aren’t always intellectual chit chat. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. Many will take to heart the episode you describe. Some people here are literally saving their lives with keto and doing something dumb can have serious consequences. It takes integrity and confidence to do something the mainstream (often including family and friends) rejects and ridicules, tells you is dangerous and you’re going to kill yourself. Mutual support helps a lot. Mine may not always be obvious.

(Brian Bfd) #6

I think my tongue in cheek comment (not a directed comment) was misunderstood.
Carry on.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

:bulb:

Thanks for the warning and the benefit of your experience. :+1:
3.5 months in and not tempted yet.

Wow, that seems like an extreme reaction to just one cup of ice cream. I can only hope my body never becomes THAT adverse to sugar and carbs. :flushed:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

@Sue777 I think it has a lot to do with where one’s been metabolically speaking. If one comes from a place of severe metabolic derangement I would expect sensitivity to be greater. There is Body Wisdom™ as in: “Are you kidding me! This is the crap that got you into trouble in the first place. I’m not going to let it in again!”