Learned a good lesson

Been on a about 4 weeks . My mojo read between .6 and 1.2 depends on the day . Last night went to parents house and mom bought me the sugar free peanut butter cups as I showed her how to read the sugar alcohol etc . Said each one was basically 1 carb . I had 3 about 6:30 pm. Took a reading at 10 and couldn’t get a reading so it kicked me out of ketosis . Then I did a quick read and found the fake sugar they use is a
Stay away on here . So just. A warning to other newbies if it seems to good it probably is

(Marianne) #2

If you feel compelled to use a meter, by all means continue. I just don’t know how accurate they are in the long run, especially the longer you are on keto. I never used any pee sticks or measuring devices. Those things to me are too much like the scale and would have the ability to throw me off track mentally if they weren’t as optimal as I thought they should be. I prefer to eat clean keto, one-ingredient foods. I don’t delve in anything processed. By doing that, I have every confidence that I am in ketosis metabolically and don’t have to give it any mental energy.

Congratulations on your four week mark!

I was curious about the candies . Have been pretty good . The odd diet mtn dew , my addiction . Don’t smoke drink or drugs . Was just curious as it said 12 carbs but 11 sugar alcohol . After reading not all
Sugar alcohols are the same . Just learned a good lesson and just if any other newbies looking ( stay away from them )

(Robin) #4

In my opinion, newbies should be careful of any and all fake or “low carb” sweets. It just prolongs the cravings and addiction to carbs. simply walk away. That’s easier than being tempted for a long time.
Just my experience.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

One of the rules of thumb I’ve encountered doing keto is to count the carbs in sugar alcohols at 1/2. It’s all about what is digestible, and what is not.

Of course, Dr. Westman is now saying that he’s seeing studies showing that fibre, which is by definition indigestible, may not be so indigestible as we’ve thought, so . . . . :scream:

Thanks . Again was doing mostly meats cheese eggs love my homemade cauliflower mash but I know higher in carbs wirh the veggies and cream and butter . Thanks . I hope the fibre part not true .

(Bob M) #7

I’d like to see you do that test again, because even if all of the sugar alcohols counted as carbs, I don’t see how you’d get kicked out of ketosis.

Those are something I would not eat, as sugar alcohols and I don’t get along.

I will tonight . It was 10pm last night about 2 hours to 2.5 hours after a few of them and it read LO which means no reading for ketones

(Allie) #9

If they’re the ones with maltitol in then I’m not surprised, that stuff is evil and if the only effect they had on you was ketone numbers being messed with then you’re very lucky.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Amazon stopped selling the product, but they used sell five-pound bags of sugar-free Gummi Bears sweetened with maltitol. The reviews from consumers who didn’t anticipate the effect of the maltitol on their digestion were hilarious.

(Allie) #12

Yes I’ve read some of them, after I made the same mistake…

That’s what I read on here about naktitol