Laser Hair Removal and Keto?

(Katie) #1

Has anyone noticed hair regrowth in areas that you have gotten laser hair removal? I just finished reading a post about a man starting to regrow hair on his previously bald head and it got me thinking. Could eating keto heal the hair follicles I intentionally destroyed. Would love to hear your thoughts or experiences.

(Todd Gamel) #2

Uh, that’s a big negatory for me. I have been shaving my head since I was about 35, will be 56 in September, I have been on keto for almost two years. Unfortunately it has not made my hair grow back, maybe others have had better luck. :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I have also read posts about people’s hair coming in with color again, after being grey for years. No such luck, in my case. :frowning:

I am also hoping that keto will make me three inches taller. That doesn’t seem likely to happen, either, alas! :cry:

If you’re getting new hair growth in areas of your body formerly treated by IPL/Laser, it’s not the previously destroyed hair follicles “coming back to life”. It’s previously dormant hair follicles that were not destroyed during the treatments which have subsequently “woken up”, most likely because of hormonal changes within your body.

IPL/Laser can only be effective on treating hairs in certain phases of their little life-cycles - the hairs have to be active and “seen” by the light energy to be properly destroyed, so dormant hair follicles are not visible and not treated, nor are follicles which have just lost a hair due to natural shedding and are about to commence their life-cycle again.

Hair growth is hormonally based. We know that a keto lifestyle can greatly influence many hormonal functions within the body, so it’s not unreasonable to think that keto directly influences regrowing (or de-greying) of hair. I’ve heard Megan Ramos of The Fasting Method say as much regarding some of her clientele. But it won’t be your previously laser-destroyed hair follicles pulling a Lazarus - it will be follicles that were dormant or never treated at the time.

(Side note - I had IPL in my 40s and it worked perfectly and my skin has remained hair-free into peri- and menopausal times. However, I have a friend who had it done very young (as a teenaged ballerina) and it didn’t last, because hormonal changes as she developed into adulthood simply activated hair follicles that were dormant at the time she got the treatment as a kid. It was pointless doing that treatment on someone so young, and whatever beautician recommended or performed the job was behaving unethically in failing to warn that was the case.)