Lack of interest in exercise

(charlie3) #101

I had about 30 lbs of fat to lose to get to ideal weight. That got done while exercising. How about walking? Losing muscle is not desirable. Losing weight is a hollow victory if it contributes to poor health. In the mean time my least stress perscription is get a vintage airdyne off craig’s list and a heart rate monitor and start doing low heart rate training (180 - age). I burn 500 calories an hour doing that and it’s so easy it still feels like I’m cheating. (I lift too but can’t benefit from more than about 90 minutes a week long term. Not many calories burned.)

(Windmill Tilter) #102

I’ve managed to gain some decent muscle and increase all my lifts considerably while losing 2lbs a week. Hard to ask for much more than that. My A1C is down to 5.1, my blood pressure has dropped dramatically down into the healthy range. My arthritic gout has pretty much disappeared. My resting metabolic rate (RMR) is right where it should be. I’m pretty much fit as a fiddle.

I do the Body by Science resistance training from Dr. Doug McGuff’s book once every 8 days for 20 minutes. It’s so intense that it takes me about that long to recover. I generally do a 15 minute BFR session every 8 days as well (offset 4 days from the BBS) if I’ve recovered adequately but only if I’m fully recovered . The last thing I want to do is overtrain.

There’s lots of ways I could spend more time in the gym if I was looking for a hobby but I haven’t found any that would move the needle on muscle gain or fat loss. This forum gets a lot of folks of people exercising their brains out 6 days a week who are stalled or plateaued in their weightloss and frustrated. You find them posting in the “not losing weight” section of the forum. I don’t see a lot of upside. My Dr is happy and I feel terrific, so although I’ll keep experimenting, I’ve found a pretty good balance.

(Bob M) #103

I do something similar, only do body weight exercises to failure one day per week. But, I split my body in “half” so I go to the gym twice per week, and I usually add a short HIIT session to that. I’ll often do a longer HIIT session on the weekend, followed by “cold therapy”, which is basically walking outside with less than normal clothing.