Lack of interest in exercise

I disagree, 0 or 200 kcals are pretty different for me and 200 kcal is easy to use up with a little walk I need to do anyway.
Of course if someone can eat, it’s easy to overeat a pretty active lifestyle. But it can help a lot if our goal is maintenance or fat-loss. It’s not true for everyone but it’s true for everyone in my small family. Exercise is key for us but diet is more important.

(Bob M) #22

Two good points above. When I exercise, I ALWAYS eat more on that day. Did I eat more than what I burnt? Second is that exercise burns very few calories, unless you’re exercising a ton.

(Chris) #23

Can’t speak for others, but I just chose to be more active in general. Some of that is structured exercise - 2-3x per week, half hour on the elliptical. Nothing much. But lots of other things to just “move more” & be less sedentary.

Getting up to walk around and talk to employees at work more often. “management by walking around” type thing I already did in a manufacturing plant, just more of it and make a point to visit the farther away small departments as often as the ones right by my office.

Taking dog for a walk vs just letting him out to run around & do his business on his own.

Doing some chores the slower, more physical way. Push mow instead riding mower. Split kindling with an axe vs log splitter.

Multiple “cartless” shopping trips vs 1 large grocery run. Silly, but carrying everything thru the store, then to the car vs pushing in a cart adds up.

If the choices are “sedentary”, “moderately active”, and “active”, I would still be “sedentary” I guess, but a lot higher in the range toward moderately. That’s something at least…

(Jack Bennett) #24

In my anecdotal / N=1 experience, during the time of my life when I did a lot of cardio (half-marathon training), I would be incredibly hungry after 2-3 hour Sunday long runs. Inevitably I would eat much more calories than I had burned during the run. (I was far from keto, and in my early 20s, and so was able to handle the carb overload at that time of my life.)

The training was a great experience and the long runs were a great pleasure (lots of time in nature in the early morning) but it didn’t really change my body weight either up or down.

Yup! Too many see it as something they don’t “need” to do. Ignoring the insane health benefits of both the cardio aspect as well as all the metabolic benefits of building up their lean muscle mass. I’ve seen people go as far as to recommend NOT exercising as it’ll slow weight (not fat) loss. I lost a lot of my weight without being in the gym but never kidded myself that being sedentary was somehow better in any way to working out regularly. In the gym 4-5x week and it’s the only way to go. Sometimes (like today) it was the LAST thing I wanted to do… Doesn’t matter, in I went.

(Windmill Tilter) #26

Wow. This really got me thinking. I ran cross country in high school and I ran around 6 miles per day. I was very lean. Part of that was that I grew up poor, and there wasn’t always enough to eat, and the food that was available wasn’t especially healthy. In high school, I was so hungry that I sometimes ate dog food because that’s what was available.

After high school, I went to work for the Appalachian Mountain Club trail crew, and food was part of our pay/compensation. For the first time in my life, I could literally eat as much as I wanted. I put on 20lbs in three months and it was mostly muscle. We were building stone staircases up the sides of mountains, so I spent my days rolling 200lb-400lb stones from “quarries” to the trail all day long. My appetite persisted long after that kind of work, and so the pounds accumulated.

I wonder now to what extent my voracious appetite after exercising is influenced by this. It makes me wonder if there is a correlation between food insecurity and exercise induced overeating. I’ve never really thought about it before, but it kind of makes sense.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Yeah, carbs are cheap, and they can really pack on the pounds, especially once the pubertal growth spurt ends and our metabolism shifts.

I don’t know about that, but there is a direct mechanistic link between a high “healthy” carbohydrate intake and constant hunger: the chronically high insulin level resulting from the continual large glucose hits prevents much of the glucose from being metabolised; instead, it gets converted into fatty acids and stored in adipose tissue (and elsewhere) as triglycerides. Not only does this lock energy away from the cells that need it, but the elevated insulin also blocks the reception of the satiety hormone leptin, which the adipose secretes to tell the brain that we have enough energy in storage. The result is that the brain never shuts off the secretion of the hunger hormone, ghrelin, and so we constantly feel hungry.

I well remember being full of pasta to the point of almost literally bursting my stomach, and still wishing I could cram more in.

It’s just the theory and practice may be totally different… Not very surprising, our body is very complex and other things can affect our hunger too.
As far as I know and experienced, carbs satiate people, just not well, it’s the least satiating macro in general. That’s why so many people are able to eat some mostly carby food and get satiated (I can’t explain it scientifically though). Usually not for very long.
But some people get perfectly satiated for long eating about anything, even just simple carbs sometimes (I guess it doesn’t work all the time unless someone totally messes up their own signs and body and everything). And others get super hungry after eating any amount of extremely carby food even if they were fully satiated before. I’ve heard about people who get satiated only if they eat very much carbs but the other two is personal experience.

Feeling very strong hunger while having a very full stomach is horrible, I know that myself. Some people think a full stomach means no hunger, well, they are clearly not me. Just like one can be perfectly satiated with an empty stomach, I experience that for several hours every day. I guess the state of the stomach more or less controls hunger for many people, it really seems so. But in other cases, there seems to be no connection.

(Bob M) #29

And also being hungry 15 minutes after eating. I ate low fat for years, and was never not hungry. It was because I was doing things that I did not get to eat more.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #30

This.
I understand what you’re saying regarding people viewing the diet this way, because I see ALOT of that on Facebook.
I lost my first 20kg with no exercise at all, and I have been careful with introducing exercise because I don’t want to disturb my appetite, or lack of.
My exercise consists of low impact walking, I meet my 10k steps per day, but I won’t be introducing anything more strenuous until I’ve reached my desired body fat percentage.
I will then have a dexa scan, booked for January, as I’ve reached my desired WEIGHT but not BODY FAT%.

Everyone has different ideas, best not to condemn what works for them. You do you.

(Rebecca ) #31

I have come to that conclusion myself. I’m sorry you had to take those measures as a child.

(traci simpson) #32

I love exercising and will always do some type of training. That’s just me and has been since high school. It makes me feel good, it’s good for my brain. I don’t post a lot because it’s not necessary to post everyday. It doesn’t make me eat more, it doesn’t mess with my satiety factors or anything else. If anything, it curves my hunger. I have do have a hard time hearing that people don’t exercise because we all have bones that will get brittle day after day, year after year and you have to lift something heavy in order to keep those bones strong.

(Scott) #33

Follow up: I did it!

Yesterday I said I needed to get back into running and my Nautilus workouts. Ski season is coming and time is wasting. Last night was so cold and windy I decided no way. Didn’t put out my clothes either. Well I woke up at 3:30am and started reasoning why I should stay in my warm bed. At 4:30 I knew more sleep was not in the cards and got dressed in my running gear. Out the door in 32F weather and ran 1 mile to the gym. Did my workout and ran 1 mile back home. A little tired but I gotta start somewhere. I feel so glad I got off my butt.

(Bob M) #34

It most likely does make you eat more. I’m not a fan of CICO, but if you burn more calories, you’re going to eat more. The days I eat the most are always the days I do the most “exercise”, even if it’s just running up and down 2-3 flights of stairs a lot for housework.

The question would be if you eat less than your output, so that you lose weight, you eat the same, or you eat more than what you need. That’s a tough question to answer.

(traci simpson) #35

All I know is that I eat the same.

I never had that, just read about this “getting hungry soon” a lot. If I manage to get satiated (well that’s hard, long work unless in special circumstances), that usually lasts for long. I was good at fasting even on high-carb, not like I often did that for more than 16 hours. But I always ate high-fat and that surely helped.
I can’t even imagine being really hungry a lot but it sounds horrible.

Nope, it’s way more complicated than that. You are like that but many of us aren’t. I typically eat less when I walk a little (like, 90 minutes, I will have that tomorrow and even will be away at dinnertime so I am hopeful and with reason, I had lots of such days before. When i get home, I will be satiated as walking turns off hunger and appetite unless I ate ages ago and I will be already well-fasted enough so unless my lunch is small, I won’t need to eat again).
And that’s just me tomorrow, there are other cases (I probably bore everyone already who read my comments but my SO automatically eats about the same amount of calories every day and he is usually nicely satiated all day, food choices and exercise don’t matter, only forceful meal skipping can change this and very bad timing but he deals with that without changing his calorie intake. Even if the exercise level changes for a long time, the food intake stays the same and it immediately start to change his body composition and it continues until the exercise level changes - or the food intake, forcefully but that’s unpleasant though very effective. Probably very high exercise level is different but he never had that).
Exercise may make people more “alive” and more in control so they start doing things instead of grazing lazily… It’s not really about satiation though but eating without a need is a problem for many. I can imagine that lack of exercise can make one think of eating more and even that causes some misinterpreted hunger or something.

While light exercise often makes me eat less, thinking and certain work that burns practically nothing makes me hungrier. There’s no strong correlation between CO and CI even if I eat according to my hunger and very many people experience the same. Studying really makes people hungry quite often. But maybe it doesn’t make one eat more in average. Strong hunger doesn’t mean one eats more, they are just hungrier before eating. But it may trigger an extra meal and it may change the eaten calories for the day and it may change the weekly average… It’s complicated. Some people get “tabula rasa” every morning. My previous days affect my current one, quite seriously.

(David Cooke) #38

Well this is the point I am trying to make: Keto si about losing weight for most people. It should be about getting healthy and as a very welcome side effect, also lose weight.
Your attachment concerning over exercise just confirms this.
20 minutes jogging daily reduces mortality by 26%. That’s not anything like a marathon.

(David Cooke) #39

WHO said it was?

(David Cooke) #40

Well there you go. I am not talking about having a perfect body but about getting and staying healthy. The Exercise sub-forum remains without postings for weeks at a time, and this confirms my proposal that most people want weight loss and aren’t concerned with getting and staying healthy.