Knee pain/inflammation/solutions

While fasting last week I noticed that the inflammation in my right knee was gone again. By inflammation, I mean that my knee is super sore/painful when I need to bend my knee, but my knee isn’t actually swollen. I’ve had MRIs and x-rays where it was mentioned that I have arthritis in most of my joints, but both knees have meniscus tears due to a fall several years ago. The weird thing is that the tear in the left knee is far worse, but it isn’t bothering me in the least.

I ended my fast on Friday, and the pain was back by Saturday! Kind of bummed. That means something in my diet MUST go.

My two thoughts are cheese (about the only dairy I consume) or diet dr. pepper. Any other possibilities that I might need to consider? I plan to start by removing soda tomorrow.

(KB Keto) #2

Which one can you part with first? I personally would have to go Diet DP and see if that’s the culprit… hopefully its not cheese!!!

Trial and error is the only option without visiting a doctor on the regular and doing a bunch of tests (still may be a mystery even after that)

(Meeping up the Science!) #3

Dairy is a big inflammation trigger for many, as it can trigger an autoimmune response. Wheat proteins are also problematic. Maybe reintroducing foods one at a time after a fast could help you figure it out.

DEFINITELY the soda. LOL It goes tomorrow, at least for the week. Then cheese. I’m hoping it isn’t the cheese because that will mean bye bye fathead pizza dough. sniffle

I plan to fast for at least 3 days early June so that is definitely a thought. Thanks! How many days before reintroducing other foods? 3 days maybe?

(Meeping up the Science!) #6

Hmm, maybe! I am not sure. Just make sure to only reintroduce one a day :slight_smile:

(eat more) #7

anyone have any thoughts on supplementing collagen (or even just having more thick and gooey when cold bone broth) for knee/joint pain?

i’ve been reading a lot (mostly reviews lol) about it’s “amazingness” :joy:

I think supplementing with collagen is a great idea for helping the body to repair any damage over the long term.

I finally made the Turmeric Golden Paste over the weekend and literally within 20 minutes on an empty stomach (I hadn’t eaten in at least 8 hours), the pain in my arm tendons and knees was gone, so for short-term inflammatory pain while repairs are going on, I’d recommend this for the pain.

http://turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/

Weirdness here! I wrapped my knee with an ace bandage last night for 30-45 minutes before going to bed. I have no soreness in my knee right now. Going to continue with my no soda week though and see what bringing it back next week does.

(Jennifer) #10

I take turmeric every night. It has cut my ibuprofen use by 95%.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #11

If the pain continues, one thing you might try is niacin, the non-flush form, which is niacinamide.

Even though it’s non-flush, it’s still better to take it in regular small doses, like 100mg, say, up to a 1000mg total per day (1g). (Because it’s water soluble and doesn’t remain in the body for very long).

The following is just one of several sources supporting the idea that niacinamide can help with the pain, and even help to repair joints. (I don’t know if it would help meniscus tears though):

(The dosages mentioned in that article are a bit different to what I wrote, but the basic idea is the same…take it a little and often at regular intervals, up to a reasonable maximum, like 1 to 1.5 grams per day. However, stop taking it, or cut back, if it seems to cause nausea).

I like the idea of collagen supplements as well, and/or bone broth.

The pain has been gone since Monday, but I did cave and get a diet dr pepper at work today. Super stressful day and I couldn’t go back to my office for my water. I am curious to see if the pain comes back now or not.

(Sardelle) #13

I started taking a scoop of collageletin (the Bulletproof stuff) daily for my knees, and I can’t remember the last time they bothered me. It also had the awesome side effect of improving my sleep and evening out my mood. I used to get panic attacks and haven’t had one in the year I’ve been taking the stuff. I’m not usually one to hype supplements, because I can never tell the difference between when I’m taking them or not, but gelatin has been amazing for me. I’d definitely try it.

I mix it with nut butter and MCT oil and just use it as a meal replacement, but I have a friend that swigs it in water too. It is 10G of protein for that scoop so has to be factored in, of course.

That is interesting. Do you just get it from Amazon?

(Sardelle) #15

You can order it from Amazon, but I order it from the Bulletproof site, along with their Brain Octane oil (MCT oil), and I think it’s cheaper that way.

That said, I imagine you could get the same effects from using Great Lakes gelatin, which is about half the price.

There’s an article on Draxe that talks about the benefits and the differences between collagen and gelatin: https://draxe.com/gelatin/. I think either would work to help with joints. Can’t promise anything, especially if serious whackiness is showing up on a knee Xray, but if it’s like with me, and it’s more of an old injury or repetitive stress kind of thing (I was a breast-stroker on swim team for 10+ years when I was growing up!), it might help.

Good luck!

Slight twinge of pain today. Stopped drinking diet dr pepper again, and the pain is less/almost gone. I didn’t mean to go back to the sodas, but this week was a nightmare week.

I’m going to guess that I must limit diet dr pepper to very minimal, special occasions maybe.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #17

I wonder what it is in the diet Dr Pepper that seems to be causing the problem?

Aspartame maybe? I’m not really sure.

(KB Keto) #19

I would agree Kyz - It’s probably the artificial sweetners and your body arguing over who’s more important

(Tracy Ann) #20

Your link takes me to “page not found”.