Kinda new and confused

Hello everyone. I’ve been on a Keto & non-sugar diet since the 15-January-2019. I’ve done well with it: weight loss-8lbs; loss of inches; increased energy; etc. However, my “monthly visitor” hasn’t arrived, but I have gained a few, but stick with my Keto. I’m pretty sure its water, so I’ve decided that during this week, I would not weigh myself until that time passed. But here’s something else: I don’t know if it’s a relapse or falling off the wagon, but yesterday I had some or most of the Pringles chips. And then my friends and I went to a restaurant and I was sure I’d be ok, but I had a few tablespoons of grits, a few bites of fried fish, and the collard greens were sweet. I didn’t, no I couldn’t in good conscience finish it so I STOPPED! I don’t want to undo all that I’ve accomplished :pensive::sweat:
I will say that I am not experiencing any physical changes or major setbacks that I thought I would. By the end of this week, I would have complete a month of my Keto/Keto/non-sugar life/helath style change, and I’m ready for month #2!

(less is more, more or less) #2

Welcome to the fray, @anon84924936

Your main goal on low-carb is to be, well, low-carb. This isn’t just avoiding sugar. There are hidden carbs everywhere. A single pringle “potato chip” (yea, I scare-quoted that vile carbage) has 1 gram of carbs. I see where you shifted admitting how much you actually ate. One stinkin’ chip and you have 19 grams left for the entire day. As @richard has said, carbs are little more than packing material.

I’m not picking on you, either, for being elusive about quantity. We all do it. It does help to be aware when you do it.

Low-carb means a healthier lifestyle, not just weight loss. So join us in the conversation and learn about food and yourself.

Anyhow, there’s great resources here to re-orient yourself.

Forum member @juice also has a nicely encapsulated overview. This is his bat-signal.

(Amy Ramadan) #3

Sounds like you are doing good so far!! As far as your monthly cycle goes, it’s normal for it to be thrown off course with all the huge changes you’ve made recently!! As far as the chips and fried fish, just let it go and get back to keto!! We are all human and can’t be expected to be perfect all the time!! The occasional slip up is no big deal as long as you are it for what it is and get back to the plan and not let it detail you!! Keep up the good work, and I hope this helped at least a little bit!

I’m new too! It’s quite possible the dietary change has affected your start date, stress and life changes can do that. How late is it? Is it possible that you might be pregnant? Something I learned recently is that your start date can be affected by which ovary you ovulate from each month. I personally go either every 25 or 28 due to which side. Keeps me on my toes, lol. I’m not a human medical expert, but I would imagine the hormonal changes from going keto can affect your reproductive hormones too. But it does sound like you went full carb this week, it’s so hard to start out in a new eating pattern when those around you aren’t fully supportive yet. I have much experience with dealing with unsupportive people, as I’ve been a vegetarian 20 years and now starting to be a ketogenic vegetarian.

Thanks so much for your message. I only had a few non Keto carbs at dinner; not the whole week thankfully!:grin:

Thank you so much Amy for the kind words of encouragement!!

(Amy Ramadan) #7

Anytime!!! I wish you the best of luck!! Send me a private message anytime, if you need support or just someone to talk to!! You got this!! :wink:

(Running from stupidity) #8

You rang?

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Don’t worry about the scale - keto is a primarily a HORMONE-CONTROL diet not a WEIGHT-LOSS diet. If you eat right, the weight loss should come. But when it’s ready, not when you demand. Relax and trust the process.

• Eat plenty of good food - fat and protein - while staying under 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritize the protein - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• Buy the meat you can afford - don’t stress about grass-fed, organic (con), etc… The worst meat is better than the best bread.

• Fasting is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:

Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

(less is more, more or less) #9

I don’t wish to sound difficult, but what exactly is a “non Keto carb?” I count every carb and work to stay below 20 total a day. Even if you only count net carbs, carbs are sneaky and creep in everywhere.

(Daisy) #10

This sentence jumped out at me as well. Don’t count keto carbs and other carbs. Carbs are carbs. There obviously are carbs that are preferred highly over others, but at the end of the day, you still need to count them all. Good luck!

(Charlotte) #11

I’ve been doing keto for 3 months and my visitor has been getting way lighter since I started keto. If your scheduled to get your period the weight gain could just be from an upcoming visit. I know a few days before my period comes I gain about 3lbs and then lose it all and then some a couple days later when my visitor shows its ugly face.

Welcome.

Yes I found keto great. It is a pretty forgiving diet in terms of fat and protein but I’m afraid the carbs are crucial. Recently I accidentally went over and I was knocked out of keto, unfortunately it takes a couple of days for the system to switch back.

Some people Speak of feeling sick and this and that but I felt no different. My blood analyser read virtually zero And I gained 2 lb or 1 kg in that week Which we can always wave away is water or this or that.

Let’s not worry about the past, learn from everything and just keep moving forward