Kidney stones

(Party ) #1

Anyone have issues with this. My back has been hurting with Spasiums the past few weeks. Nausea and sweating.

(Rob) #2

I sometime think I have them, (some symptoms) and then they go away and I’m not sure I’ve passed a stone (you’d think you’d know).

However, it has been discussed here before. Here’s a starter thread but there are more. Use the search function to find more.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

I’ve read regardless of what diet one is following, adequate hydration is the first line of defense. Eliminating soda the second. Cutting back on meat the third. It is frustrating that all the uniformed but well meaning websites refer to the Keto diet as “high protein”. Well yes that is where they are getting the “Keto diets cause kidney stones” theory from. Yes, too much meat can cause a uric acid buildup in your blood. But hey, we’re not chowing down on meat ten times a day. I’m actually eating the same amount of meat that I’ve eaten since childhood. I am totally not worried about it. Just wish websites would check their info. But this is just my opinion.

(Katie) #4

Are you eating a lot of spinach? Unlike other greens, excess spinach can cause kidney stones.

(bryan vandyke) #5

Obligatory; probably should go see your doctor.

Had several in the past, not fun.

To help prevent.

1. Drink water. My urologist told me to add lemon juice.
  2. Potassium citrate. Binds calcium in urine, not in blood. They give it to kids on keto for seizures to prevent kidney stones.
  3. Like all things keto, proper salt/electrolytes. Sodium competes with calcium in urine. Like gallstones, kidney stones are probably from pre keto SAD diet. High insulin drives the kidneys to re-absorb sodium, increasing calcium concentration. Can’t remember, but sugar is supposed to do something to urine ph too, increasing stone formation too.

[edit]
4. No science Ican find yet but as intimately as Vitamin K2 is linked to calcium transport proteins, I take a low dose K2 supplement in hope that balancing out calcium transportation will have a positive effect on my stones.