Kickboxing on Keto? Bad Idea?

keto
exercise
resistance-training

(Reina Noemi) #1

I work a job where I’m literally sitting all day and then I chill out at home. I’d be shocked if I even got 3000 steps a day. Anyways I want to do something different than just going to the gym, its so boring. So I’m extremely interested in starting kickboxing but I know it’s super high intensity and wonder if I’ll physically be able to keep up without the carbs. Any thoughts?

(Vladaar Malane) #2

Sure you will. Actually most people once “fat adapted” have more energy to go farther then they did with carbs.

Now the key there is once your fat adapted, which could take a month or two. But either way I worked out while I was going through fat adaptation. It’s no biggy take a break if you need too.

Carbs equal quick burst of energy, that is not long lasting sustaining. Generally, some carbs have longer amounts of energy than others, but for the most part… That’s why you see marathon runners needing to eat carbs while running.

However, if you listen to the 2 keto dudes podcast you will hear them interview runners, bikers, etc that find once fat adapted they are going farther without needing anything. Even some doing their events while fasted.

(Reina Noemi) #3

Im definitely fat adapted! been Keto since mid July. and okay cool. i looks so fun but ive heard people say its tough when keto. I still want to try!

(Ellen) #4

Check out the exercise threads, I know there’s a few people on there that do various types of MMA.

I’d definitely drink Keto Aide KetoAide homemade and build up your endurance at a moderate pace.
I’ve anecdotally heard that marathon runners don’t do that well on strict keto, but that ultra marathon runners do (slower, further). So you might not have explosive power, but you’ll have more endurance.

(less is more, more or less) #6

Have you heard this hear, or in general? Besides, n=1, i.e., there’s one sure way to find out.

I maintain an active exercise regimen. No need for carbs. I prefer exercising fat-adapted. I ran a half-marathon fat-adapted and it was awesome. I’m running another half-marathon in 2 weeks and I’m excited to do so, fat adapted. I won’t be the runner sucking on those sugar-gel packs as if my life depended on it. I will be, as @richard or @carl might say, burning donuts from 2003.

Besides, you can be like this couple and ignore the distracting chatter: https://www.dietdoctor.com/across-pacific-ocean-without-sugar-junk-carbohydrates