Ketosis low on wife

(Gary hoover) #1

My wife and I have been on keto for 4 months now and both lost over 20 lbs. we want to both lose just a little more, maybe 15 for me and 10 for her. Here’s what’s weird. I check our blood for ketosis and mine is well over 3 and she has not been in ketosis for weeks and when she was she barely made it over 1.0. Any comments on why she is low and I’m not. She never never cheats. Very strict keto

(Carl Keller) #2

Your wife’s lower ketone levels doesn’t mean she is doing anything wrong. The numbers may vary throughout the day and even under 1.0 she’s in nutritional ketosis. Try measuring her levels before a meal. If she hasn’t eaten for a while, the number should be highest then.

You say she’s lost ten pounds in four months but how are other aspects of her health coming along? More energy? Feeling better phyiscally and mentally? Less hunger and cravings? If she can say yes to all of those, there’s no need to worry.

(Gary hoover) #3

She has lost over 20 lbs wants to lose 10 more but I will do what you said. Yes everything is much better we were just wondering why mine is so much higher. Thanks for your help

You are two different people. Two different complex biological beings.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Depending on how much fat you’re eating, your individual metabolism, body needs and demands, this would vary fairly constantly. Maybe her body is just releasing stored fat and utilizing the ketones more efficiently than you are, so she is showing lower ketone levels in her blood. It doesn’t necessarily mean she in less of a state of ketosis than you are, she might be doing better. This is why testing can cause people stress. Like a medical lab report the stats are confusing if you’re not examining them from a comprehensive knowledge base. At least that’s how I see it, different doctors interpret the same lab data differently all the time.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Gary hoover) #6

Now that we are discussing ketosis levels. I just noticed at 3.9 I’m in starvation level. Wow. I’m trying to find symptoms as the last week I have really really felt bad like super sick. I’m wondering could this be why

You may actually be ill. With a virus or something, like the flu. If you feel unwell, go to see your doctor.

3mol/l betahydroxybutyrate blood ketones is not excessively high. The ‘starvation’ mode label is contextual. Eating a ketogenic diet, you are not starving. Don’t pay attention to that label on that graph, if you are eating well.

Often not feeling well when starting ketogenic eating is from the body adapting to using fat as a fuel source. There can be changes in body electrolytes that occur with the initial loss of water weight. So research what to do with salts in the diet. It is very important. Then around the time stage where you are at the body uses body fat as fuel, a challenge that comes with any body fat loss is the release of stored toxins from that fat. So maintaining hydration is important to flush that stuff out.

But if you feel sick sick. Go to a doctor and get checked.

(Gary hoover) #8

Thanks I feel better every day today was almost normal,I just seen that chart and thought maybe that was the problem. Must say I have not been eating well at all. Once a day and maybe 5/10 carbs. I have had 0 desire for any type of food. Being sick was my problem. Four months into keto I have not had keto flu, maybe that’s what I had.

Thanks again

(Allie) #9

There’s no problem with a level of 1mmol. Plenty of people never reach that but still get great results. The test results don’t directly correlate with body healing and fat burning.

(bulkbiker) #10

I know we owe a lot to Volek and Phinney but that graphic has become a bit outdated I think…
Once you are registering anything above 0 blood ketones you have to be in ketosis… and the 3 plus being “starvation” is another myth probably down to Phinney’s extreme dislike (I was going to put hatred) of fasting which is when most will be at levels over 3.0.
Maybe time for a new anything over 0 is ketosis idea?

(Allie) #11

Agreed. It needs to be gracefully allowed to retire.

Definitely.

(Gary hoover) #12

Thanks to all

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

As I said earlier this is the kind of stuff that stresses people out who are testing without considering the comprehensive data, (i.e. starvation versus ketogenic diet).

I know you invested money in a testing unit but the data isn’t going to help you especially if it causes stress, which will get in the way of weight loss. If you’re eating less than 20 carbs a day you are in ketosis, no testing required. Trust your body’s process.

I’m not trying to give you a hard time, I have never been tested or interested in testing since I started 9 months ago, I have lost 40 lbs and reversed a pre diabetes diagniosis and I feel 100% better. These are the signs that I am in ketosis and I never doubt it or wonder at what level of ketosis I am in. You can be in ketosis with trace amounts of ketones showing in your blood, like 0.2 as some keto athletes test at. If you’re not eating significant carbohydrates you will be in ketosis, the actual number isn’t really important. :cowboy_hat_face:

Having ketones in your blood means you’re in ketosis, at 0.5 it is considered “nutritional” ketosis. I lost the bulk of my weight in the 0.3-1.0 range.

Agreed, if they’re in the blood you’re burning them… you’re in ketosis.

I think Phinney and Volek walk a very weird line with that stuff. They’re definitely geared towards “normal” low carb, not as much keto.

(Jane) #16

You’ve got the answer to your question but just wanted to add I’ve seen my ketones in the 6-7 range after 3 days of fasting and felt fine.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #17

I’ve been considering trying to make a new graphic…

(Gary hoover) #18

Thanks I was up over 4 today. Thanks for all the inputs

(Bob M) #19

What was your blood sugar? 50 or less? I also get high ketones when I fast multiple days, but only when I fast multiple days.

My theory is that high ketones can be excess fat intake.

(Jane) #20

63 and 52. Both on day 3 of a fast so was burning my own fat for fuel. :slightly_smiling_face: