Ketosis & Calorie Deficit

(Bob M) #21

I have some thought experiments. Consider this data from Fire in a Bottle:

Basically, he eats a one of food beginning Jan 2 in the evening. Not how his resting output goes up (he has a $7,500 tester).

When you see studies of people, the studies seem to assume that energy expenditure is relatively fixed. I think that’s untrue. If you eat more, your body should (attempt to) burn more. This is why they can put young, healthy people on very high caloric diets, and they might not gain any or much weight.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

Some of us don’t have reliable hunger/satiety signals. Yes, I sometimes feel ‘hungry’ but it’s faint, short-lived and easily ignored and/or simply missed. I almost never feel ‘satisfied’ and never ‘full’. I could always ‘eat more’. These feelings are not what I want to rely on to determine how much to eat.

What I do is this. I’ve been in maintenance for close to 4 years. While eating a ketogenic diet of sub-15 grams of carbs per day (and frequently 10 grams or less) I eat to a ‘caloric window’ of ~2300-2700 total calories. Doing so has maintained my overall weight of 145 lbs +/- ~2 and my body comp of ~14-15% BF. If I eat below this caloric window for a few days I start to lose weight, if above for a few days I start to gain.

(Bob M) #23

That is 100% true. For instance, many times, I’m not hungry at dinner, but I eat…and eat a typical meal. So, the hormonal part of my feedback mechanism is messed up. (And it may be more than hormonal, but I don’t know enough about all the parts of feedback for eating to comment.)

Lately, I’ve been trying to stop before being “full”. If I do this, then a while (a few hours?) later, I’m actually full.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

I’d be curious to know whether you experience a difference between “being full” and eating “enough”?