Ketosis: a preferred body state?

(Richard Morris) #21

An irony given the the foundational point of contention of the Noakes trial.

(Nick) #22

A very good point. And a reason why we will look back at the Noakes trial in future generations with dumbfounded disbelief.

(Barbara Greenwood) #23

My mother had to stop breastfeeding me at six weeks due to mastitis. My three older sisters were all breast-fed for much longer. While none of them have ever been ā€œI eat what I want and stay slimā€ types, I am far and away the biggest and always have been. Coincidence?

(Cathy) #24

Maybe but I would also include the notion that we become more and more insulin resistant as time goes on on the SAD and that would mean more insulin for the fetus setting up metabolic disease.

(Jim Russell) #25

Insulin is too large of a molecule to pass through the placental barrier.

There are certainly a lot of things that affect a fetus including a lot of things that happened before the fetus was conceived.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/you-are-what-your-mother-and-father-ate-epigenetics/

(Cathy) #26

That is very interesting and sent me on a search to confirm and right you are as far as I could quickly conclude. I stand corrected and thank you for the accurate information.

(Nick) #27

Marinading the fetus in mumā€™s high blood-glucose does seem to lead to problems. Combine that with early ā€œformulaā€ feeding, and you have the ā€œformulaā€ to the fast track to metabolic syndrome :-/

This study is specifically about gestational diabetes. I canā€™t help but think there is a sub-clinical glucose level that also has an effect.

Also, what year did we start testing for this?

(Todd Allen) #29

Ketosis isnā€™t that hard to get into. Sustained nutritional ketosis only restricting carbs is harder but most people naturally mildly enter ketosis over night if they go sufficiently long without eating and arenā€™t eating to excess.

Iā€™ve found any form of fasting and/or caloric restriction greatly enhances the ease of being in ketosis. I did a month of IF, eating 1 meal daily and found I could really relax my carb restrictions and still sustain my target range of ketosis, 0.5 to 2.0 mmol/L.

I recently did a few days of water fasting and then eased back to a very low calorie diet of 1 meal a day and my ketones have been off the chart, a HI reading from my Nova Max (> 8.0 mmol/L) and my breathalyzers are topped out at 0.199% BAC.

Interesting, Todd. What does 8.0+ mmol/L feel like? Above 3.0 felt weird (not in a bad way) to me, but I think the words ā€œstarvation ketosisā€ from Phinney/Volekā€™s nutritional ketosis chart was probably freaking me out.

(Todd Allen) #31

I donā€™t much feel the ketones. I had a few days of very high urine flow which has tapered back to normal. My mouth is a bit dry with a slight metallic taste despite lots of water and salt. My wife says my breath smells like paint stripper but I have little sense of it.

Fasting has always elevated my ketones, though this time much more. I recently began taking pioglitazone a medication for type 2 diabetes that improves insulin sensitivity by stimulating adipogenesis. I donā€™t have type 2 but I have insulin resistance and a neuro-muscular disease the severity of which has been shown to correlate strongly with insulin resistance. Pioglitazone seems to have dramatically improved my insulin sensitivity but made me insatiably hungry and I was gaining weight undoing months of past effort. I suspended the drug to fast and fortunately it seems to have made fat burning/ketosis easier too.

(Crow T. Robot) #32

Meh. It just means that you are fasting. 8.0 is really hard to get to and the only people I know who even got close had to water fast for more than a week. They didnā€™t say anything about it really feeling different.

(VLC.MD) #33

Breastfeeding is probably a ketotic state.
So babies are born in ketosis.

And when we drown children in carbs those mitochondria are down regulated :slight_smile:

(Jason Thomas) #34

You are single handedly restoring my faith in ketonians. Thanks.