Ketonix/Blood Ketone correlation

(Richard Morris) #14

We make just one ketone for energy - Acetoacetate.

But it’s not stable, and spontaneously degrades into Acetone. So if we aren’t using it immediately and passing it off to other tissue, then we convert it into Betahydroxybutyrate which you can think of as the shelf stable ketone that we can pass around from tissue to tissue until it needs to be used for energy … and then we convert it back into Acetoacetate and burn it.

Acetone is actually something we can’t convert back into Acetoacetate so it represents energy lost to us. But there is a method by which acetone can be converted into glucose. The fact that we still waste good protein to make glucose implies that that pathway is not open to being abused to make bulk amounts of glucose.

Acetone is a volatile that is outgassed whenever the blood supply comes close to the outside world. So it will come from the surface of the lungs, the skin, and from blood vessels in the mouth and nose.

Brenda, is this the USB version or the bluetooth thingy?
I am NOT computer savvy, do NOT have an iphone, just use my laptop and a walmart (cheap, “Smart” phone).
If I invest in a ketonix meter which appears to be the wisest use of money, will it work with my computer or just plug in to a wall or…Sorry if these questions are obvious, but I just want a simple answer from someone who really uses one and can keep it simple for the low-tech person :wink:

Be aware that most people do not find correlation with blood ketones. There should be an inverse correlation with blood glucose (according to the manufacturer) which seems to be more reliable for many although I have not found it so. I am currently running all 3 daily to see what patterns I get. It seems to be very variable depending on the individual. It also picks up other breath volatiles which can confound your readings.

(Jason Fletcher) #17

I’m am trying to figure out the difference in these in the chart if ac-ac is used for energy do the others have to be converted to ac-ac listed here in the chart.

the isomers have me confused

(Richard Morris) #18

Betahydroxybutyrate is a chiral molecule … that is chemical reactions that can produce betahydroxybutyrate can produce multiple different isomers. In the case of BOHB there are 2 isoforms that are stereo isomers. That is each a mirror image of the other.

So when we make BOHB in a lab we make 50% D-betahydroxybutyrate (dexter or righthanded) and 50% L-betahydroxybutyrate (laevus or lefthanded). It is very expensive and complicated to make just one kind in the lab.

When we make betahydroxybutyrate in our bodies however, we only make the D-betahydroxybutyrate form. Our ancestors all the way back to bacteria have been making and using that form for roughly 3 billion years. So how do we do that trick when it’s difficult to do in the lab? Well we use enzymes that put together and pull apart molecules by their shape.

We have an enzyme that converts Acetoacetate (AcAc) into D-BOHB, and another than converts D-BOHB back to AcAc. Now AcAc isn’t chiral, it has just one shape but we don’t have any enzymes that can convert L-BOHB into AcAc to use for energy. If we did then there wouldn’t be a problem we’d just make DL-BOHB ( that’s the stuff that’s a 50:50 mix of D- and L-) and the respective enzymes would do the job of converting them to AcAc for us to use for energy.

SIDEBAR: Interestingly that enzyme that converts D-BOHB to AcAc is what is in ketone testing strips, because in that enzymatic process an electron is given off and your meter can read that.

The interesting question is what happens to the L-BOHB.

Hans Brunnengraber did tracer studies in rats on a small amount (3 micrograms) that had been tagged with radioactive carbons and he found some of the carbons appeared in exhaled CO2 which means somehow they eventually made it to the kreb cycle to be burned.

But no-one knows

1. What was the exact pathway ?
  2. What happened to the remainder that wasn’t exhaled?
  3. What other processes were impacted by L-BOHB taking that pathway?
  4. What would happen if you gave a rat a caloric load of the stuff for it’s lifetime?
  5. How about for a human?

These are all fascinating questions that are worthy of some basic research, until then I personally won’t use DL-BOHB especially since I am pretty good at making D-BOHB by just not eating carbs.

1,3 Butandiol however is very interesting because when you give just that to humans, our serum ketones go up because we actively convert it into D-betahydroxybutyrate

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1038/jcbfm.1987.136

So 1 molecules of D-BOHB esterified to 1,3 Butandiol, would turn into 2 molecules of D-BOHB. That would be my bet for the best one in that list as long as it was tolerable taste wise.

The esterification with glycerol is an attempt to create a transport form much like we use mono-, di-, and tri- esters to stabilize fatty acids (ie: tri(acyl)glycerides are a glycerol with 3 fatty acids hooked on)

(Doug) #19

@Richard - Holy Crow what a fascinating, information-packed post!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

Yup. @richard the science guy.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

Mine is the USB plug in, but I don’t hook it up to my laptop. I use a USB adapter to charge it, then record light flashes. Blue, green, yellow, red. Red being highest. 9 flashes of each. When my blood ketones are near 2, the Ketonix flashes high yellows. When my blood ketones are 3 or 4, the Ketonix is in the red.
Consistently.

So I can take portable power with me and check breath ketones anywhere, confident what the blood readings would be.

Great Brenda, thanks for this reply. Plus, the USB looks to be a bit less costly. But I can see that it would quickly pay for itself vs buying these ketone blood test strips, ee-gad! I have the NovaMax which has much cheaper strips, but still, the ketonix meter sounds like “the bomb”. Did you buy it at the Ketonix website? I thought I could see if they sell through Amazon as well…
Thanks again!

(Jason Fletcher) #23

So what are the paths that it takes from a fat cell or fat from food to be broken down and burned as ACAC. LCt and MCT i know are processed differently. I would also think the chemical or hormone to use body fat would be different then food ingested. Plus where is the enzyme that converts the ACAC Into D-BOHB and back. Is this done at the cell? Is this part of the monocarboxylic acid transporter? Or is this transporter just to pull ACAC into cell to be used after converted back from D-Bohb.

So the urine stick test the ACAC that is wasted. So your body was not able to use the energy and or it did not have enough enzyme to convert the ACAC to D-BoHB before you pissed it out.
Does D-BoHB stay in the blood until broken into ACAC to be used? Or would it be eliminated in urine like excessive ACAC and you would not know it because you cant test for it?
@richard thanks for taking time to dig into this

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #24

Yes! So great to save on ketone strip cost.
Sorry. My Ketonix was a gift over a year ago. It’s the second generation model.

(mike) #25

Brenda,

How long does it take for your ketonix to warm up?

Ah, what a great gift! I’m a little jealous :wink:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

Quite a while. Probably 5 minutes

(Richard Morris) #28

My understanding is you eat fat and it’s hydrolysed into it’s constituent fatty acids so it can be absorbed. This is done by enzymes from the pancreas acting on the emulsified fats in bile.

Fatty acids with 14 or fewer carbons go straight into the blood leading to the liver. These are short and medium chained fatty acids. You can think of them as having an express pass straight to being burned in the liver. They get into your liver cells easily, and once in there they passively diffuse into the mitochondria where they are bet oxidized into energy units called Acetyl-CoA and fed into the Kreb cycle. We’ll get back to that process in a moment.

Fatty acids with longer than 14 carbons in their chains enter the cells of the gut (enterocytes) where they are re-esterified into triglycerides. The enterocytes build massive lipoprotein boats called Chylomicrons and they stuff them with triglycerides and any fat soluble vitamins from the gut. They then attach an addressing label to those boats (called an apoB-48) and they get shipped into the lymph to be taken up by veinous return and they go EVERWHERE except the liver. Every cell that is in the market for fat to use for energy puts out an ApoB receptor and when a Chylomicron docks the cell requests a little of it’s cargo and then the Chylomicron moves on. Fat cells will be taking up fat from the gut, so will the heart and other muscles.

Eventually the remnant of the chylomicron reaches the liver which expresses an ApoB receptor so it can drag it out of circulation. There will be some fat soluble vitamins, any triglycerides excess to cellular requirements, maybe a little cholesterol. The liver will use fat for energy if it can, it will also packages excess up into VLDL particles and give them a different address (ApoB-100) and send them off to any cell that expresses an ApoB receptor (and we’ve already met most of those).

Chylomicrons and LDLs aren’t the only way cells get fat to use for fuel. Fat cells, when insulin is low, release non-esterified fatty acids into sheets of a protein called albumin, and it travels the circulation being taken up by consumers of fat. Eventually they too make it back to the liver which cleans them out of circulation to use them for energy or ship them off again in LDL particles.

So now we have Medium and short chained fats in liver cells, and long chained ones from body fat or the diet. Short chained fats can diffuse into the mitochondria. Long chained have to get past a bouncer called teh Carnitine Shuttle (Carnitine Palmitoyl Transport or CPT). And when the cell is making fat, or when insulin is high, that shuttle is inhbited, and long chained fats have to take a different route.

They get cleaved into shorter chained fats in organelles called the peroxisomes in a process that produces a lot of hydrogen peroxide. Once they are shorter chained they can diffuse into the mitochondria, but the process is a lot slower than the CPT and it makes a lot of ROSs. [Sidebar this is why diabetics can’t burn their body fat and why their cells are so sick - they can’t get glucose into cells because they are insullin resistant, they can’t shuttle fat cos insulin is high, they have to use a polluting slow lane]

Finally fats in your mitochondria are cleaved into 2 carbon unit acetyls in a process called beta oxidation … and they are also present for the Kreb cycle to convert into energy.

I need a diagram to show the next bit from A particularly beautiful Infographic of metabolism

So normally 2 carbon acetyls get pumped into the kreb cycle from glucose or fat or glucogenic proteins, they meet a 4 carbon Oxaloacetate and become a 6 carbon citrate and go around the Kreb cycle which takes in oxygen and pulls off the 2 carbons making it into carbon dioxide and releasing a lot of energy.

So what if there isn’t an Oxaloacetate available?

Well then when insulin is high then the Acetyl-CoA becomes a Malonyl-CoA which eventually triggers the creation of new fats (and inhibiting the carnitine shuttle from letting those newly created fats back into the club), or if insulin is low it becomes AcetoAcetatyl-CoA which we can make into a precursor to Cholesterol, or if we don’t need cholesterol we make it into AcetoiAcetate and eventually betahydroxybutyrate.

D-beta-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase is In the mitochondria.

The monocarboxylate transport is on the outside of a cell that lets specific molecules into the cell including lactate and pyruvate for making glucose, lactic acid from fermenting it, as well as the ketone bodies (BOHB, AcAc and Acetone) as well as some products of branched chain amino acids.

It is upregulated in the process of fat adaptation so we can take in AcAc spilling from liver cells and make it into shelf stable BOHB. Nice side benefit it helps us clear lactic acid from muscle cells working anaerobically.

Yup. When we get better at converting it into BOHB the levels drop.

BOHB and AcAc and Acetone are all present in urine. Cahill determined a fat adapted man still urinates 10g a day but it’s a lot less AcAc once the fat adaptation has occured.

Does an increase in dietary fat directly increase ketones?
(Jason Fletcher) #29

Is there any ACAC in ketone salts or just the D-betahydroxybutyrate and L-betahydroxybutyrate ? The reason i ask is if someone takes exogenous ketone salts and they are not fat adapted they still pick up a lot of ACAC in there urine. I would think if they are not adapted to convert ACAC to BOHB then they also would not be able to Convert BOHB to ACAC. Plus if BOHB is converted to ACAC at the mitochondria then burned how would it get into the blood and make it to the urine?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #30

Excellent thread.
Bookmarking this shit.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #31

Lol. It’s my original post from March. LMFAO

(Jim Russell) #32

Yeah, my bluetooth one seems to take at least that long. It’s the biggest downside of the ketonix. Other than the price. :slight_smile:

(Richard Morris) #33

I understand all the ketone salts available commercially are DL-betahydroxybutyrate.

Processes in the body usually happen in gradients not as binary - ON/OFF switches. Even in a glucose burner there will be monocarboxylate transports, just not as many as in an adapted fat burner. We convert between BOHB and AcAc liberally based on our balanced of NADH/NAD+ so we’re likely to have both in circulation all the time and the AcAc will be wastefully degrading into Acetone and the BOHB will be shelf stable and just ketoing on. And then our kidneys are always pulling out molecules from circulation when they get over the renal threshold.

Which is a long winded way of saying all these things will be present, but the relative ratios will be determined by these adaptations, and our redox state (affecting NADH/NAD+ ratio).