Ketones without Keto dieting?

(Jillian M. Ross) #21

No, too much caffeine can make my ketone levels go down to that of my husbands which was 0.6, I wish caffeine would make them go up. My numbers would be off the charts then, lol🤣.

(Kay baker) #22

Regina, I do think eating only twice a day certainly keeps the insulin down. Hubby and I are on the road driving over 900 kms to visit family for Xmas
and I have fallen OFF ! However admitting that I have and knowing that I have has made it somewhat easier to put the brakes on…and I am now back on to my Keto lifestyle…I do read yr posts and appreciate your input…thank you

(Jennibc) #23

This is confusing to me. When you become type 2 diabetic your body stops producing insulin, and your blood sugar reaches high levels. One of our friends discovered he was type 2 when suddenly he dropped 20 pounds in a short period of time without dieting. I think he was worried he had cancer, but it was untreated Type 2. Because he had no insulin, his body was able to access his fat stores despite his eating his regular diet that brought on the type 2.

(Jennibc) #24

So I ended up buying a blood meter after reading this the other day and my urine strips actually show ‘moderate’ as my blood meter says the same thing. Same thing for ‘small’ amounts. With the blood meter I get exact values while on the strips I just get varying shades of pink. But the strips are much less expensive so I think I’ll continue to use those daily and the blood meter periodically to ensure I am still on track.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Are you sure your friend isn’t a Type I diabetic? Type I is an autoimmune disease that kills the beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. It destroys the patient’s ability to produce insulin, and could easily result in the kind of weight loss you describe. It used to be called juvenile diabetes, but adults can develop it as well. Troy Stapleton, an Australian anesthesiologist, has a couple of videos on YouTube, in which he tells his story of developing Type I at age 40.

Type II is when the body becomes insulin-resistant and requires more and more insulin to keep blood sugar under control. It usually doesn’t develop until middle age, but apparently doctors are now seeing patients in their 20’s devleop it. The high level of insulin in the blood causes obesity, rather than weight-loss. True, end-stage Type II diabetics, if they go untreated long enough, can reach the point where their pancreas can no longer produce insulin, but I doubt your friend could have gone undiagnosed for that many years, because he’d have been having body parts amputated, losing his eyesight, etc.—not things his doctors would have been likely to overlook. Type II is what the Dudes both had, now reversed.

Type III diabetes is the term some researchers have started using in place of Alzheimer’s disease. It, too, is a disease of insulin resistance. Type II is insulin resistance of the muscles and internal organs, but Type III is insulin resistance of the brain.

(Jennibc) #26

I am absolutely positive, my husband has known him for 45 years and I have for about 25. Type 2 diabetes can also result in the pancreas ceasing to work anymore because it’s been overtaxed so long, that’s what happened to him. Here’s a story of the same thing happening to someone else https://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20187930,00.html