Ketones and glucose

(Jay eidelberg) #1

I have tested my ketones and blood sugar and have a question… My ketone lvl is 4.5 to 6. my blood sugar is 225-275.
question is what happens with the high BS while in ketouses. Does my body still get effected by the high BS.

(Adam Kirby) #2

Hmm that doesn’t sound good, sounds similar to diabetic ketoacidosis. That’s the only condition I can think of where your blood sugar and ketones would be high at the same time because your pancreas isn’t functioning. Maybe someone else knows another reason. How long has this been happening?

Maybe your glucometer is completely off. I’d get a second reading from somewhere else.

Did you wash your hands? Are you diabetic? The combination is not good. I agree with retesting and, if results are the same or very similar, get yourself to a clinic or hospital sooner rather than later. This should be checked out by a professional.

Wow, that’s really high.

(Randy) #5

I’m not an expert, but if that were me, I’d have someone drive me to the emergency room now!!!

(Karen) #6

Our kiddos with diabetes in school go this high. Usually they are sick though or getting sick.

K

(Sarah ) #7

you need to talk to your Dr who prescribes your diabetes meds,

(Jason Fletcher) #8

You have type 1 diabetes

(Jay eidelberg) #9

ya it would if insulin was not being produced

(Jay eidelberg) #10

I was looking for correlation between the two from some one who knows something about it . also than but I dont need advice to go to doctor or hospital.

i make insulin . I have used 2 different meters with same numbers… c

(Jennifer Kleiman) #11

Yes your body will still be affected by the high blood sugar, but much worse than if your ketone levels were low. Ketone levels that high mean that your insulin levels must be very low, so there’s nothing knocking down the blood sugar. Are you familiar with the mechanics of diabetic ketoacidosis? You may not want people telling you to go to the hospital but if you are at all dehydrated, you need to be very concerned.

Assuming you are type 1, DKA would normally be at a higher BG and ketone level, however you need to be careful.

Are your ketone levels usually that high when BG is normal? If so, then provided you treat the high BG with insulin asap it should come down and the ketones won’t be an issue if you’re usually in ketosis. If you are feeling at all unwell, dehydrated or are not comfortable with treating this yourself, I would recommend seeking medical advice or assistance.